Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Coaching Search 2013...

Rick said

Ronniehuskerron said

…There's more, but I think that is the core of it.
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 12:15 PM #320638

Wow, if we won 9 games, I think our fan base would blow a Happy Gasket!

Yours is ready to divorce and start over…makes me wonder if Owlcountry40 is secretly from Nebraska.

:Big-Grin:

Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 12:40 PM #320643

As a fan base, we got greatly spoiled by the last five seasons of Tom Osborne - went 60-3 and won three national titles in final four years.  Played for the title in four of the five years.  The changes of the Big 12 hurt Nebraska deeply with elimination of partial qualifiers and the removal of a great rivalry game with Oklahoma (separate divisions in the Big 12).

What is amazing to consider is the career of Tom Osborne.  He coached at NU as the HC for 25 years, won 255 games and never won less than 9 games in any year (back when they played 11 games as a rule, with no conf champ games and a bowl game to make 12 games typically, versus as many as 14 now).  Went to 25 bowl games, won 12 conf championships, 3 national titles, and has PERSONALLY been the HC for more Football Academic All Americans than any other SCHOOL has in total.

That will spoil you.  As my good friend Phil once said, "It's hard to get them to eat the salad once they've had the cocaine."  

Tom was a long-time NU assistant when he took over the HC role in his 30's.  I'm not sure who would be another guy like him, but I'd love for someone to find him…
Back to the top

Butch Davis would fit the bill.  We could probably get him at a reduced rate.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 2:52 PM #320651

Ha, old Butchy doesn't seem like he would be willing to let his ego or his cushy consulting job (and paycheck) go in order to come to FAU on the cheap.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

sigep77 said

Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 2:52 PM #320651

Ha, old Butchy doesn't seem like he would be willing to let his ego or his cushy consulting job (and paycheck) go in order to come to FAU on the cheap.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 3:43 PM #320655

He might be out of work soon though…..Schiano will be out by season's end…he's close to 60 and would probably like to settle down in South Fla…

Its definitely worth the call….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

He might be out of a job, but he also has cash in the bank. I hate to be a downer, but I think he could probably land a part-type consulting or analyst gig that would be far less work and still very good money. I imagine that for him $600,000 per year is not worth the stress. It is a sad statement about the state of affairs in college football, but unfortunately true.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

He might be out of a job, but he also has cash in the bank. I hate to be a downer, but I think he could probably land a part-type consulting or analyst gig that would be far less work and still very good money. I imagine that for him $600,000 per year is not worth the stress. It is a sad statement about the state of affairs in college football, but unfortunately true.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 10:23 PM #320688

Yeah…a lot of people are looking for coke heads for consulting positions.  I know when I go out proposing to new clients I am always in a neck to neck race with the drug addict….most of the time I win.
Back to the top

I think he's talking about butch davis potentially being out of a job. 

Remember, he was going to take the FIU gig, until he realized he'd lose out on some serious severance money from unc if he went back to coach college. He is set to receive $600k in January of 2014 and 15 as part of his buyout. I dont think we want to wait until January to make a hire and I dont think he'll take $750k (the amount I think we'll set up to) for a position to leave that money on the table, since he's figured out a way to double up while in Tampa, but who knows.
Back to the top

This team needs to take a look at Micheal Barrow the linebacker coach at the University of Miami and a key Recruiter.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 10:23 PM #320688

Yeah…a lot of people are looking for coke heads for consulting positions.  I know when I go out proposing to new clients I am always in a neck to neck race with the drug addict….most of the time I win.
Posted On: Nov 1st 2013, 10:31 PM #320690

I am referring to Butch Davis here and to the best of my knowledge he has some office position with the Bucs and he could probably land a different high paying NFL consultant gig over the HC job at FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Sounds like Chun interviewed Luke Fikell today in Columbus. Dieter just tweeted out a story about it
Back to the top
Control functions: