Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Northwestern University Football Team Tries Joining Union . . .

Add topic

85 football players have called today to ask if I know where Walty lives...
Back to the top

Pell grants pays over $100/wk over the full year, much higher if looked at onltyin termsof school calenders. That is MORE spending money weekly than I have EVER had in my 57 years! WISH I HAD THAT NOW!
Back to the top

walty12 said

Lets continue to add to that:

Clothing Money
If a football player qualifies for a Pell Grant, they also get $500 of clothing allowance each year. My memory fails me, but I am almost certain this money is from the conference. Football players can buy whatever clothes they want as long as they bring back $500 worth of receipts to their Compliance department showing the clothes they bought. Now, many football players will spend this money on new Nike’s, hats, jeans or t–shirts. This money could be spent on buying a nice suit, or a few pairs of khaki pants and some button down shirts, but rarely is that the case.

Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund
According to Bylaw 15.01.6.2 in the NCAA Manual, each athletic department can use the student-athlete opportunity fund money for anything but financing salaries, scholarships (though paying for summer school is allowed, but a football player’s scholarship covers summer school), capital improvements, stipends, and outside athletic development. The NCAA gives each school a chunk of money each year…roughly $200,000 to help student-athletes out with whatever needs they may have deemed fit by the senior staff member in the athletic department in charge of the money. This money is not just for football, but the entire athletic department. Regardless, if a football player needs money to pay for gas, more new clothes, or a plane ride home, they can legally get money for that.

The typical non-freshman Arkansas football player received the cash listed below in 2010-11:
$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund
$8,024- Fall and Spring Room and Board
$3,016- Summer Room and Board

$17,040- Grand Total

Remember, this excludes any money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional meals provided by boosters. Monthly, football players are looking at $1,420 cash in their pocket without having to buy books or pay tuition and fees. Did you have $1,420 of cash every month in college? If football players were to work a job paying a respectable $10 an hour, they would need to work 36 hours a week for 50 weeks to make $1,420 before taxes to make what they get from their football scholarship and other available money sources.

Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 11:16 AM #327199

First of all, any student can get a Pell Grant.  Second, what about student athletes that don't qualify?
Back to the top

bda614 said

walty12 said

Clothing Money
If a football player qualifies for a Pell Grant, they also get $500 of clothing allowance each year. My memory fails me, but I am almost certain this money is from the conference. Football players can buy whatever clothes they want as long as they bring back $500 worth of receipts to their Compliance department showing the clothes they bought. Now, many football players will spend this money on new Nike’s, hats, jeans or t–shirts. This money could be spent on buying a nice suit, or a few pairs of khaki pants and some button down shirts, but rarely is that the case.

According to Bylaw 15.01.6.2 in the NCAA Manual, each athletic department can use the student-athlete opportunity fund money for anything but financing salaries, scholarships (though paying for summer school is allowed, but a football player’s scholarship covers summer school), capital improvements, stipends, and outside athletic development. The NCAA gives each school a chunk of money each year…roughly $200,000 to help student-athletes out with whatever needs they may have deemed fit by the senior staff member in the athletic department in charge of the money. This money is not just for football, but the entire athletic department. Regardless, if a football player needs money to pay for gas, more new clothes, or a plane ride home, they can legally get money for that.

The typical non-freshman Arkansas football player received the cash listed below in 2010-11:
$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund

$17,040- Grand Total

Remember, this excludes any money from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, the Special Assistance Fund, and any occasional meals provided by boosters. Monthly, football players are looking at $1,420 cash in their pocket without having to buy books or pay tuition and fees. Did you have $1,420 of cash every month in college? If football players were to work a job paying a respectable $10 an hour, they would need to work 36 hours a week for 50 weeks to make $1,420 before taxes to make what they get from their football scholarship and other available money sources.

First of all, any student can get a Pell Grant.  Second, what about student athletes that don't qualify?
Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 1:41 PM #327209

parents
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

bda614 said

walty12 said

Clothing Money

$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund

$17,040- Grand Total

parents
Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 1:42 PM #327210

Great point.  Force parents to pick up the slack.  I like it.
Back to the top

bda614 said

Tim FAU98 said

bda614 said

walty12 said

Clothing Money

$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund

$17,040- Grand Total

parents

Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 1:59 PM #327211

If they have the means and they don't qualify for Pell…generally those type of parents pick up the slack.  Ever wonder how a kid has a nice car?  Hmmmm, parents.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

bda614 said

Tim FAU98 said

bda614 said

walty12 said

Clothing Money

$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund

$17,040- Grand Total

parents

If they have the means and they don't qualify for Pell…generally those type of parents pick up the slack.  Ever wonder how a kid has a nice car?  Hmmmm, parents.
Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 2:24 PM #327212

I've got 2 at school who didn't qualify for the grants.  It means less vacations, less eating out, no home renovations and I still drive my ragedy car.  But hey, we chose to have them and promised to support them throughout college.  
Back to the top

Again, saying these kids cant work in the summer is nowhere near accurate.  I spent the summers hanging out with my friends that played DI ball…they worked out for an hour 4x per week and that was it.  They both worked in the summer, my friend that played safety at Texas A&M worked 35-40 hours per week at Home Deport for that 3 months he was off.

The whole thing is blown out of proportion and way more dramatic than it needs to be.  I mean I worked full time, went to school full time and managed to drink full time in college…it can be done.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

fauowl said

85 football players have called today to ask if I know where Walty lives...

Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 1:06 PM #327207

Haha, thank god they dont have the gas money to get to my house!!!

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owl in training said

Tim FAU98 said

bda614 said

Tim FAU98 said

bda614 said

walty12 said

Clothing Money

$5,500- Pell Grant
$500- Clothing Fund

$17,040- Grand Total

parents

Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 2:24 PM #327212

I've got 2 at school who didn't qualify for the grants.  It means less vacations, less eating out, no home renovations and I still drive my ragedy car.  But hey, we chose to have them and promised to support them throughout college.  
Posted On: Jan 29th 2014, 3:11 PM #327213

+1
Back to the top
Control functions: