Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lynn Haven DB Reakwon Jones Commits to FAU Football

Add topic

Rick said

fauowl said

I rarely post about recruiting…

Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 3:30 AM #340443

3:30 AM??

:Scared:

:Sleeping:
Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 7:43 AM #340448

I am a horrible sleeper  :Yawn2:
Back to the top

Have heard this works very well in helping with that:

$7.94 at Walmart if you want to give it a shot for those rough nights!
Back to the top

fauowl said

owlcountry40 said

The future is bright the 4th best class in C-USA will sure take us to the promise land.
Hey I hear there is a kid we are looking at who has offers from Furman and UNC Charlotte he  should be fine because stars don't matter I mean that's what Ole Howard used to say.

But really I doubt this kid comes back he decommited before his visit to Cal and IU.
I hope we have some good kids on deck.
This could become the #FUB15 real quick. 
Charlie was brought here to recruit and not get beat out by La Tech and Marshall who's schools are located in maybe the two most dump cities in C-USA.
Posted On: Jan 4th 2015, 10:41 PM #340439

I rarely post about recruiting because honestly, it is way over my head…the science of it, the rules, etc.

When we second guess coaching decisions, that is much more tangible for me because I can see it: why didn't we go for it on 4th down, why did we pass from our own end zone, why didn't we punt, etc.

I can't "see" recruiting, and some of the benefits are not realized for years. I know OC40, you are really into the recruiting and you talk to Andrew a lot, and he is big into recruiting and he does a great job.

My questions are: What could Charlie be doing differently? What would you do to attract better players to FAU? How would you retain recruits like Scarlett, Causey, Jones when more prominent schools come calling?

Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 3:30 AM #340443

I think that the kind of things Charlie does differently is win a few more games. If FAU had beaten Montana, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, and UAB, all of which it lost by just a few points, and beat FIU, then it's 8-4, and the second best team in the division, playing in a bowl game. I don't think you can sell recruits on losing close games unless you're a major program in the middle of a rebuild, like Saban did at Alabama. If it comes down to choosing between a couple of bad programs, then Cal or USF are the obvious choices. My guess would be USF, since it's closer to home than Boca, and has more national recognition.

I like Charlie, but the season was a disappointment. To keep the 3* and better recruits the solution should be win the games you're supposed to (beat Alabama and Nebraska? lol), and go to bowl games.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

If FAU had beaten Montana…
Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 9:51 AM #340451

Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota - all the same!

:Laughing:

Back to the top

Rick said

David Slavic said

If FAU had beaten Montana…

Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota - all the same!

Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 10:11 AM #340452

Lol, that'w what I meant. They're all pretty much the same.
Back to the top

I don't have time for things like facts, haha.
Back to the top

You're not alone!

Back to the top

David Slavic said

I think that the kind of things Charlie does differently is win a few more games. If FAU had beaten Montana, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, and UAB, all of which it lost by just a few points, and beat FIU, then it's 8-4, and the second best team in the division, playing in a bowl game. I don't think you can sell recruits on losing close games unless you're a major program in the middle of a rebuild, like Saban did at Alabama. If it comes down to choosing between a couple of bad programs, then Cal or USF are the obvious choices. My guess would be USF, since it's closer to home than Boca, and has more national recognition.

I like Charlie, but the season was a disappointment. To keep the 3* and better recruits the solution should be win the games you're supposed to (beat Alabama and Nebraska? lol), and go to bowl games.

Well its hard to win games when you have below avg recruiting classes so you either have to win games with below AVG players to boost recruiting or recruit good players with a poor record. Right now we are at tipping point with the so called FAB15 if a couple more kids like causey and someone else drop it could be and a meh class.

I will say this I do think Charlie has some guys up his sleeve that we could possible flip.
This time of year the big schools might have 40 kids who think they are committed and as the big schools lad the 4* and 5* guys some kids are left out in the cold.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Well its hard to win games when you have below avg recruiting classes so you either have to win games with below AVG players to boost recruiting or recruit good players with a poor record. Right now we are at tipping point with the so called FAB15 if a couple more kids like causey and someone else drop it could be and a meh class.

I will say this I do think Charlie has some guys up his sleeve that we could possible flip.
This time of year the big schools might have 40 kids who think they are committed and as the big schools lad the 4* and 5* guys some kids are left out in the cold.

Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 11:27 AM #340457

I completely agree, and it's kind of a catch-22. But looking at the games that we lost, two were by one point, and two were by three points. We should have won those, even with our below-average roster. I think if we win those, we keep our recruits because we'd be promising a nine or ten win season and playing for a conference championship, not a six or seven win season with a possible bowl invite.

And you're right, if we lose another one or two recruits, we go from best class ever to just another mediocre class, and hoping to get six wins next year.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 11:27 AM #340457

I completely agree, and it's kind of a catch-22. But looking at the games that we lost, two were by one point, and two were by three points. We should have won those, even with our below-average roster. I think if we win those, we keep our recruits because we'd be promising a nine or ten win season and playing for a conference championship, not a six or seven win season with a possible bowl invite.

And you're right, if we lose another one or two recruits, we go from best class ever to just another mediocre class, and hoping to get six wins next year.
Posted On: Jan 5th 2015, 11:49 AM #340458

I am not sure I get it…why do you think the incoming freshman class has anything to do with the number of wins next year?

MAYBE 3-4 of the freshman will see limited playing time with 1-2 starting in a position of need.  

This is the thing that kills me about recruiting and fans, this isn't the NFL where you sign free agents and immediately get better.  You recruit a class where 80% of the kids wont reach potential or have a big impact until at LEAST thier 2nd full season.

The seniors and juniors next year that will make up the majority of the playing time, are from HS and Carl Pelini's recruiting classes.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: