Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UPDATED: "Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence"

Owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

Has anyone heard what they are going to use the old practices field behind the Oxley after the new athletic center is built?
Posted On: Jun 2nd 2017, 1:08 PM #369041

No word on that yet.

What do you think they should do with them?

I doubt they'll do anything with them for awhile. You could conceivably move over the soccer fields and make that a new soccer complex (or maybe add lacrosse, though we don't have the budget to add another sport right now)

We'll know more when the Master Plan comes out.
Posted On: Jun 3rd 2017, 10:13 PM #369050

Well I was kind of curious in case anyone heard anything, but a dual soccer complex would be a good thing, because we could possibly include Lacrosse into department in the future like you said. But i can wait to hear and find out what is coming. Like I said I was kind of curious.
Back to the top

I think FAU should get the Sports Complex 100% financially secured before we even think about any other changes/improvements. But maybe that's the conservative in me speaking. And also, not to step on any ones toes, but it seems like there could be some more beneficial changes/improvements that would improve the University other than a new play field of some kind.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I think FAU should get the Sports Complex 100% financially secured before we even think about any other changes/improvements. But maybe that's the conservative in me speaking. And also, not to step on any ones toes, but it seems like there could be some more beneficial changes/improvements that would improve the University other than a new play field of some kind.
Posted On: Jun 4th 2017, 7:38 PM #369058

I agree, that is why i said i was curious. I know both President Kelly and AD Chun are trying hard to raise money on any projects before they move forward on them, but success on the football field and basketball courts do help in that too. But that is for another thread.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

But i can wait to hear and find out what is coming. Like I said I was kind of curious.
Posted On: Jun 4th 2017, 6:22 PM #369056

Yeah no it's a fair question, I just don't know anything about it and haven't seen anything on the minor projects list either.

I don't think it's on their radar right now.  But I also don't think they'll abandon it completely and let it become an overgrown field.
Back to the top

Are they not supposed to use the Oxley for training for other sports after the new complex is built? And I assumed that also meant the practice fields in some manner
Back to the top

Coming up on Mid-June. Now is the perfect time for them to get really cracking on this project. Not a lot of events going on in campus this time of the year, and with the new interchanges about completed, it should take some of the construction vehicles off not only glades road, but also Yamato as well. I did see a tractor with a trailer behind it, over by the stadium on Friday, but that could have just been for the grounds crew use. But they need to put shovels in the dirt soon. Project was approved in December, ceremonial ground breaking in Feb/March, but no site prep yet, and the height of hurricane season is just around the corner. Time to put that money to good use.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Coming up on Mid-June. Now is the perfect time for them to get really cracking on this project. Not a lot of events going on in campus this time of the year, and with the new interchanges about completed, it should take some of the construction vehicles off not only glades road, but also Yamato as well. I did see a tractor with a trailer behind it, over by the stadium on Friday, but that could have just been for the grounds crew use. But they need to put shovels in the dirt soon. Project was approved in December, ceremonial ground breaking in Feb/March, but no site prep yet, and the height of hurricane season is just around the corner. Time to put that money to good use.
Posted On: Jun 12th 2017, 1:40 PM #369162

I don't think they are waiting for the perfect time to do it. I think they begin just as soon as everything is completed to begin (like blueprints, engineering plans, electrical prints, changes, additions, etc.) A lot of stuff that we don't see goes on before we see anything.  
Back to the top

Correct. They will start just as soon as they can. They aren't waiting for some magical date. As with any project, there is tons of stuff that needs to be approved. As we know, the government, even local government, moves at it's own pace.
Back to the top

has anyone heard anything on the new center at all?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

has anyone heard anything on the new center at all?

Posted On: Jul 12th 2017, 12:06 AM #369387

I heard that they ceremoniously broke ground in January and they will officially break ground sometime in the future.  Probably when everything is finalized.
Back to the top
Control functions: