Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: WKU vs FAU - 01/15/15 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

I was about to go on a "I've been watching basketball for 25 years and know more about it than all of you" rant but I'll refrain.  :Big-Grin:

The fact is, we played 7 guys last night, 3 of our guys had 40+ minutes and we only played with 1 PG the entire game. Basketball can be totally situational and we were exposed last night due to our weaknesses, we didn't lose because they guys gave up, or we choked, WKU knew that we were down to Botley running the point, why do you think they ran the press the entire game? he was gassed and cramping with 7 mins left, there are only so many sprints you can make up court. We live in foul trouble already, being down Raffington is a MASSIVE hindrance and when Penn fouled out, CJ was riding 4, he HAS to play Fant soft for the final 3 minutes bc we can't lose him, there is no other option.  Fant gets them the lead and we go down and waste two possessions in the final minute of regulation before tying it.

If we are healthy, Raff plays, we win that game, period. Johnson is a great PG as well, if we can cycle him with Bot once he's back, we're laughing. There is such a lack of depth right now that when we lose two guys we are totally handicapped.

The big coaching question weighing over our heads today…what do we do with Poole? That freaking guy is going to kill me. I wonder if he knows that there are 4 other guys out there with him?
Back to the top

Sorry if I ever Pi– anyone off with my comments. I know I can state my opinion for what it is worth and I TRY to always respect others opinions. I hope that FAU can win at every sport and that we can all leave the field or arena in a good mood. I have been around long enough to where losing does not ruin my day. Winning is more fun, but very few win them all. I support FAU , have for a long time, and will continue. I enjoy FAU athletics. This is what I know as fact. I do not know as much as the professionals hired  to run and coach our university"s athletic programs. Sometimes I feel like I do. But I don't. When you hire someone to do a job, you must rely on that person  to do that job. I try to give a person time to prove his or her self. As far as some bloggers feeling the negativity, I miss the logic that some of the old bloggers had. Tim98, etc. I hope the old guys still read and jump back in to the mix. I will try to be respectful.
Back to the top

I am actually more irritated by people derailing threads to attack oc40 more than anything oc40 himself actually says. If these threads are like family gatherings he's basically the "drunk uncle" of the group and like everyone here he has a right to his opinion even if it's negative and reactionary. And deep down I think he also knows how much the team would be set back if we overreacted and prematurely fired a coach, so come on.

Like FAU itself this board is a diverse mix of anonymous people, some clearly in their early 20's mixing with others that may be in their 50-60s. Our expectations, patience and aspirations for the FAU teams are different. What we expect from each other is different too, snapping at people because they're not a fan of every sport or because they haven't attended as many home games as we have… that's all sports brainwashing nonsense. You get up every day and make decisions about how you spend your time and money. People on the Owl's Nest don't make those decisions for you.

We're here every day because in this moment we still care about the product that FAU puts out. That's all it is, in whatever form it presents itself.
Back to the top

So what do we do about Poole?
Back to the top

@Owl2doc..spoken like an intelligent, rational guy. I agree 100% Teambeer, "we" can't do anything with him. That is the job of the big guy. Once a team is in place, where the guys trust each other enough to score when needed, the "scorers" won't feel the need to take so many shots. I think this situation will work it's self out in time.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I am actually more irritated by people derailing threads to attack oc40 more than anything oc40 himself actually says.
Posted On: Jan 16th 2015, 5:07 PM #340888

^^^

Height of irony.

owlcountry40 said

Local Owl said

Wonderful game. Well coached. Well played. Our guys played hard. We are very very close to winning this kind of game.  Nice job of game management by our coach. Nice crowd but a lot of them were WKU fans. They had great support from their followers. This team reminds me of football . 0-4 but could be 2-2. BUT WE ARE 0-4. Dang !
Posted On: Jan 15th 2015, 9:27 PM #340858

this post is a joke
Posted On: Jan 15th 2015, 9:35 PM #340860

Back to the top

teambeer said

So what do we do about Poole?
Posted On: Jan 16th 2015, 5:17 PM #340889

Coach has to step in and tame the lion.

Guy has a ferocious spirit, but too much is too much sometimes.

Back to the top

I must respectfully disagree with local owl regarding Poole. I cannot imagine that he will stop feeling the need to take so many shots "when he begins trusting his teammates". He has two, and maybe more, of the best shooters in Conference USA, as both Trapp and Massey are in the top 5 in the conference in 3 percentage and Trapp is at or near the top in field goal percentage for guards. Poole, i am afraid, is a product of being allowed to shoot whenever he wanted from probably age 6 and up, without any recourse. His dad was a Gator star and his older brother is a D-1 player. He is just selfish and i don't know if that can be changed at this late age. He is hurting the chemistry on the team and it is up to the coach to correct or bench him. I have thought from day 1 that he would be a great 6 man who comes off the bench and provides some needed energy for the team.
Back to the top