Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

VISITING FAN GUIDE: Tailgating/parking/local attractions

Add topic

First and foremost I want to welcome everyone to both The Owl's Nest and to beautiful Boca Raton!

Opened in 2011, FAU Stadium is a fantastic beach-themed 30k seat stadium in the center of campus that also serves as the home site of the Boca Raton Bowl.

================================================

Since our PREVIOUS THREAD for visitors is from 2008 and we've had recent guests inquiring about the Miami game on Sept. 11th, 2015, I figured it's time to update our Visiting Fan Guide.

================================================

FAU's official Gameday site can be found HERE

1) PARKING map is HERE. Parking is $15/car.

2) TAILGATING map is HERE. Tailgating starts 4 hours before kickoff.

3) Food options seen at the stadium include: Mississippi Sweets BBQ, Subway, Nathan's Hot Dogs, pulled pork/italian sausage, pizza, burgers, snow cones/ice cream, pretzels, cotton candy, Moe's tex-mex, arepas. Not all options may be available but the majority of the things listed should be there. If you're fortunate to have box seats you'll have expanded dining options.

4) Alcohol should be available at all levels of the stadium, though the beer selection will likely be limited for the majority of the stadium. I think they were selling frozen drinks over in the southeast corner of the stadium ("The Cove", looks like a small beach)

===================================================

And here are recommendations from a local Owl fan:

BEFORE THE GAME

For breakfast I'd highly recommend Tom Sayer's near campus or, if you want to eat near the beach, snag a table outside of The Boca Beach House (try the homefries).

If you just want to grab something to go, check out either Flakowitz Bagel Inn on 20th and Federal Highway (they have a walk-up window in the morning) or Rhino Doughnuts and Coffee at the south end of Mizner Park (afterward you could wander around Mizner Park a little bit but honestly it's just an outdoor mall so you'll probably be done with it in about 20 minutes).

For lunch I'd recommend LaSpada's Hoagies (5 minutes away by the mall) or Community Table (near campus). Other popular spots (among my friends) include Missippi Sweets (which, again, is at the stadium), Biergarten (German restaurant), Ninja Spinning Sushi, The Rebel House and The Gluttinous Goat.

If you want to pregame/drink some local craft beers, check out the Funky Buddha Brewery about 5 minutes from campus on Federal Highway. That's the "big name" in craft beers in our part of South Florida.

If you wanna check out some FAU gear near campus, visit our friend Mark at It's Owl Time on 20th Street directly east of campus.

Beyond that you have the typical options of beach, bowling, mall, movie theater in Boca Raton, and there's really nothing to do west of the Boca Town Centre mall, so stay in "East Boca".

If you're from out of state, a big draw for most visitors here is Spanish River beach; take Spanish River Blvd east towards A1A and parallel park after the bridge.

If you're looking for free entertainment/something family-friendly, head a little south on A1A and you'll find a small free Nature Center called Gumbo Limbo that has some fish tanks, sea turtles and such. It typically closes by 4 pm, however.

If you don't want to commit to actually swimming or walking the beach because you don't want to get hot/wet before the game, there's a nice quiet free boardwalk among the mangroves at the north entrance of John Rutherford Park behind CVS on North Federal Highway and NE 24th Street (part of the Fifth Avenue Shoppes)

==================================================

Hope that helps! Welcome to Owl Country and enjoy your visit with us!
Back to the top

Thanks for this great post!! I shared it on our CanesTime forums so other Canes fans might be able to read it, too. Hopefully all those who come over are respectful and friendly :Smug:Go CANES & see you all on Friday!!:cool:
Back to the top

Off Campus tailgating? Or Lots opening early?

We are driving down from OCALA for the game. Wanted to know if there is any off campus tailgating that starts earlier than 4:00 or if the lots will possibly open early? Trying to plan accordingly.

Thanks!
Back to the top

No, 4:00 PM is the earliest you can start...students get to set up earlier.
Back to the top

Rick said

No, 4:00 PM is the earliest you can start…students get to set up earlier.

Posted On: Sep 9th 2015, 4:34 PM #348267
Hey rick, i just got an email from school because all the fraternities had to preregister our tailgates (you know who we can get) and we are allowed into lot 5 at 2pm on friday   
Back to the top

Well, it's a wet campus. Technically you can start the day by drinking enjoying some beers and even liquor in the Breezeway at 10:00 AM if you're up for it.
Back to the top

Rick said

No, 4:00 PM is the earliest you can start…students get to set up earlier.
Posted On: Sep 9th 2015, 4:34 PM #348267

Lol I like to see them stop me from starting earlier. Have always set up well before the 4 hours before the game 
Back to the top

It's a pretty special day, I hope they're flexible for the folks that wish to get started early.
Back to the top

teambeer said

It's a pretty special day, I hope they're flexible for the folks that wish to get started early.
Posted On: Sep 9th 2015, 8:34 PM #348280

If they aren't they will have a lot season ticket holders upset in my tailgate haha
Back to the top

Rick, should we sticky this?
Back to the top
Control functions: