Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ UTEP Game Thread - October 24th, 2015

Add topic

LawOwl said

At this point, its not about the game of football. It's about supporting the kids and my university. I was at the game Saturday and of course we were losing pretty much the whole game but I thought to myself, on a beautiful autumn day, this is what being an alumnus is all about. Going out there just to support the school whether we win or lose and soaking in the beautiful South Florida fall weather
Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 7:50 AM #350845

:-]
Back to the top

UTEP head Coach Sean Kugler's notables from his FAU Presser on Monday…

Opening statement

“We are coming off a bye week, a productive bye week for us. The coaches did self-evaluations on each individual group and collectively as an offense and defense, to see where we can get better. The goal was to come up with solutions rather than whine about why things have happened or what happened, or what’s the reason due to injury, whatever, that wasn’t what we were looking for. We were looking at being honest, looking in the mirror at ourselves, being humble and coming up with answers. I think we had a productive week of practice. The coaches really focused in on individual technique. Most of the practices were structured around basic fundamentals of football and individual technique and individual stations. It culminated in a scout scrimmage which was live that was coached by the GA’s. There was a lot of energy and a lot of fun. We really utilized the week to get a handful of guys healthy and fresh, not only physically but mentally.

“Coming out of that bye week, guys like Mack Leftwich, Kelvin Fisher, Alvin Jones, Autrey Golden and Treyvon Hughes, guys that have either been out or extremely limited due to injuries the past few weeks, we will have all of those guys back healthy, which is very important to our team. We did receive great news last week from the MAC [Miner Athlete Academic Center]. Each year they come out with the APR reports and we were given a perfect rating, a 1000 rating. Which means that every single player in our program right now is on target to get their degree. I know when you’re at the midpoint of a struggling season and you’re 2-4, that may not mean a lot to a lot of people, but it means a lot to me because one of my main goals as the head coach is to make sure every single one of these student-athletes gets a degree. When we took over this thing, I can tell you it was not in perfect shape. These kids have done a great job working in the classroom. The MAC does a great job. I told the team, they needed to hear some positive news and I was more proud of that than anything and I was excited for those guys.

“The coaches went to their respective recruiting areas to either see recruits or their games. It started in El Paso. We blanketed the city on Monday and Tuesday. We saw every single school in El Paso. The main focus was to see the recruits that are currently committed to us for 2016. At this point I can’t name names, but we have six El Paso student-athletes that are committed to us for next year. We hope to potentially have seven, which I know would certainly be a record. They are all outstanding football players and outstanding young men. It starts for us right here in El Paso. I thought the coaches did a nice job of blanketing the city, not only looking at recruitable scholarship players, but also looking for walk-on type players that can help our program win.

“We came back as a staff off the weekend and really took a hard look at what we can do to change practice to benefit our team, to change what we need to work on to emphasize things we have been lacking at, we wanted to take a proactive approach to attacking the things that we have been poor at. There are a lot of things we need to change to get better. Really, we’ve got to improve on three things in my mind. Number one is red zone on both sides of the ball. We have been extremely poor in the red zone on defense and offensively. We can’t come away with field goals offensively and we’ve got to hold teams to field goals or get them out of the red zone defensively. Third downs, we’ve got to be more productive in that area, getting off the field on third downs on defense and maintaining drives and putting together sustained drives on offense and not getting knocked out of that situation. Explosive plays, chunk plays as you call them, a +10 yard run or +20 yard pass, we have been extremely lacking that on the offensive side of the ball and we have given up way too many explosive plays on the defensive side of the ball. As well as overemphasizing the basic fundamentals that we need to be better at – tackling and ball security, because right now we are currently at -8 in the ball security area and we need to get better.

“My main focus as a head coach is the seniors. We have 16 outstanding young men who I want to see finish the year on a positive note, to have fun, to go out there and be energized and really enjoy the last half of their season. I want to make it a positive experience for this entire team because as I have mentioned many times before, when you’re 2-4 in a lot of cases going to work is miserable. That hasn’t been the case with this group. I am amazed with all of the things that have happened to them this year, they come back to work every single day. They have a positive outlook. They work in the weight room. They work in the classroom. I have had to deal with no problems off the field. I really like the group. My focus is to repay these guys by letting them have a positive experience these last weeks and see if we can get this thing turned around.

“I want the fans to know that we have not given up on the year. I hope they haven’t either. Some people may have, I’m not concerned with those people. I’m concerned with our team. We are really going to do our best and roll up our sleeves to try to get this thing turned around this year. We’ve got six games left and our focus is to improve on those six games this year.”

On Florida Atlantic

“It is a team that I feel right now should be easily 3-3. They lost an overtime game to Tulsa. They played Miami extremely tough. It was 20-20 going into the fourth quarter. They lost a last-minute game versus Rice that was a tough loss for them at home. From the turnover standpoint, they’re in the negative category -2. One thing that stands out to me is they have gained 10 interceptions on defense. Time of possession, they are 11th in Conference USA. Penalties, they are ninth in Conference USA. The other thing that stands out, they have been pretty consistent scoring through the quarters. It’s not a team that starts slow or finishes slow.

“Offensively, they play two quarterbacks. I don’t know their quarterback situation as far as health. I know that Johnson has been their quarterback of the past and has really done a great job for them and their program. He is kind of like a bigger Jameill Showers, he is 6-1, 240 and looks like a fullback. But he did not start the past game against Marshall. Driskel, a redshirt freshman started the game. He is a very talented young man. They have been throwing the ball more with him. They are averaging 185 yards a game passing with him, as opposed to 133 with the other quarterback. He is at a 49 percent passing rate, four interceptions and three touchdowns. Whether it’s due to injury or them making a quarterback change I don’t know, but Driskel was the quarterback we saw last week.

“They have two excellent running backs, #9 Howell 6-1, 205, he has a 4.8 average. Their backup tailback has a 5.1 average. He is also 6-0, 205. They have an extremely tall, athletic group of skill players. Their tight end is 6-6. And they’ve got three receivers 6-1, 6-3, 6-2. Very tall, athletic fast group. And they have all been productive. Things that have been standing out for them, they have been trying to maintain the rushing game. Red zone, they are sixth in Conference USA. They have given up 16 sacks and they are -2 in the turnover category.

“Defensively, it is a very fast, athletic defense. They have a cornerback named LeBlanc, he’s got 25 tackles and he leads them in interceptions with three. He is a very talented corner. I feel they have one of the better defensive tackles in Conference USA in #11 Coley. He is 6-2, 300. He is second on the team in tackles. He’s got 6.5 tackles for losses, 4.5 sacks, three quarterback hits and two forced fumbles. That’s an interior lineman. Usually those are stats that are reserved for an outstanding end. This guy is a defensive tackle racking up those kinds of numbers. They do have an outstanding defensive end in #9 Hendrickson. He leads their team in sacks with five. Two very good interior players and a solid corner. I have been very impressed with their freshman linebacker Azee Al-Shaair. He’s a 6-2, 215-pound true freshman that is extremely athletic. He leads their team in tackles with 48. Their safety is also a solid player. Where they have been very good is third downs. They are sixth in Conference USA at 39 percent success rate against them. They have been great in the red zone, they are number one in Conference USA allowing only 50 percent touchdowns. Teams have had 24 trips to the red zone against their defense and they have only come away with 12 touchdowns. That’s outstanding. They are second in Conference USA in sacks and interceptions. They have a very good defense and we are going to have to be at our best. The thing that stands out is their athleticism.

“Special teams, very athletic. This will be the best coverage units that we have faced all year. Their kickoff coverage unit ranks number one in Conference USA and their punt coverage unit ranks number two in Conference USA. They have two capable returners, Henry their kickoff returner and LeBlanc their punt returner. They are solid, they have made all of their PATs with the kicker and they are 9-of-13 on field goals. Very solid special teams unit, very athletic defense and an offense that poses problems with their length at the skill positions, including the running backs, and their athleticism, and we’ll have to monitor throughout the week where their quarterback play goes. But they are capable with both those guys in there. They are coming in here as a 1-5 team, but I don’t view them as a 1-5 team whatsoever. They should very easily by 3-3 or better. We’re starting the second half of the season looking to get refocused and re-energized. That’s where we are as a program right now.”
Back to the top

walty12 said

Yea right, coach blocked me on twitter for saying "tough game to watch today" after the Buffalo game.  

This guy only likes soft.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 8:06 AM #350846

Charlie has blocked a couple others I know on twitter as well….
He is soft you make 500,000 a year and fans show frustration and he cant take it just like when Doc comes to his building runs up the score then comes down and February and snatches his recruits.
Notice that Ken doesn't come on here and ask for our questions anymore.

Lets face it Charlie sold us snake oil with the ''Win Today'' bull.
OC40 over here is the only one to catch it and tell you guys wee 4 of last year that I had real concerns, but no I was the crazy one and look at us today 4-14 under ole Charlie.
I wanted Charlie to be the guy so bad, but its time for a coaching search.

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Yea right, coach blocked me on twitter for saying "tough game to watch today" after the Buffalo game.  

He is soft you make 500,000 a year and fans show frustration and he cant take it just like when Doc comes to his building runs up the score then comes down and February and snatches his recruits.

OC40 over here is the only one to catch it and tell you guys wee 4 of last year that I had real concerns, but no I was the crazy one and look at us today 4-14 under ole Charlie.

Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 8:50 AM #350850
Ridiculous to block people for tweets that arent egrigous.  You are the HC for a DI football program…grow some thicker skin or quit.

I wanted him to work out badly as well.  I dont think bringing somebody new in so quickly is necesssarily a good look for our program…however:

We wont be able  to effectively recruit with this type of on the field product.  

He is losing or has already lost this team.  The effort Saturday was completely uninspired.  We got our beat in every way possible by a conference opponent at home…completely unacceptable.

I've missed 2 home games since the programs inception…I'm not even interested in seeing anything further this year.  If it weren't for seeing my friends/family at the tailgate I wouldn't even consider giving this program my Saturdays right now.

President Kelly needs to start putting the pressure on…we are putting A TON of our resources into football under his direction.  The guy running the show isn't getting it done.  This season is going in the worst possible direction.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

You know what really grinds my gears?

2007 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Florida Atlantic Owls - 44

Memphis Tigers - 27

And Memphis just beat Ole Miss and is in conversation for the playoffs. Meanwhile in Boca, we're struggling to put together a two-win season, following a three-win season. I get that we don't have the same resources since Memphis is an established basketball school, but the point remains: we have a better location, better girls, a great stadium, and soon will have a great overall facility. Memphis fired Larry Porter after two years because he won three games.

On top of all this, we just get disrespected by every team we play. Marshall in particular. We're a laughingstock right now.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 8:50 AM #350850
block his own fans? Are you kidding me? We don't have that many fans, can't afford to alienate fans for life. Ridiculous. 
Back to the top

David Slavic said

You know what really grinds my gears…

Memphis Tigers - 27

Memphis fired Larry Porter after two years because he won three games….

Memphis just beat Ole Miss and is in conversation for the playoffs.

Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 12:33 PM #350853

The new guy makes $1.4M with up to $725K in incentives/bonus.

If we are talking money, Partridge is performing (9th) better than he should be (10th):

It's great to have a bargin, and both La Tech and WKU are getting one, but we had that (bargain) in 2007 under Howard.

Back to the top

Rick said

David Slavic said

Memphis Tigers - 27

If we are talking money, Partridge is performing (9th) better than he should be (10th):

It's great to have a bargin, and both La Tech and WKU are getting one, but we had that (bargain) in 2007 under Howard.

Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 1:50 PM #350855

Two reason why your point is useless
First god forbid somebody at FAU ever overachieved.....
Second the 1st 4 guys on that list are and were all on 2nd contracts and earned that money.
Back to the top

18 games in w are paying Charlie 187k a win........let that sink in.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Rick said

David Slavic said

Memphis Tigers - 27

Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 1:50 PM #350855

Two reason why your point is useless
First god forbid somebody at FAU ever overachieved.....
Second the 1st 4 guys on that list are and were all on 2nd contracts and earned that money.
Posted On: Oct 20th 2015, 2:16 PM #350856

No I get it. That was my point about Memphis being a basketball school (more resources). I just think we're getting a lot less than we paid for (I say "we" since I always buy season tickets and then spend 50 bucks on food for son). we keep losing games by 1 point or 3 points, which we should be winning by at least 10 points, if you look at the talent on the roster. I'm just really shocked at how the season has played out. I thought we would be more experienced, and be able to close out games.

Lol and I just got a call from FAU as I was writing this. They must have my PC monitored.

But I think OC is right. Doc Holliday's starting salary was $600k/yr at Marshall. But Doc had a lot of associate head coach experience.

I think it's time to look at hiring people with previous head coaching experience, possibly from the FCS. I'm sure we have the resources to hire an FCS head coach. I'm not saying fire CP, but if he doesn't get it turned around next year, or at least trending towards a turnaround, I'm fully jumping into the Fire CP bandwagon. I've got a toe in the wagon now…
Back to the top
Control functions: