Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU @ FAU Shula Bowl XIV Game Thread - October 31, 2015

Add topic

GeorgiaOwl said

Found the video link;

Kanell: Miami needs smaller stadium closer to campus - ESPN Video

Some demeaning to some comments but true to me, "small", "nobody special",
but Howard and FAU GOT IT DONE!

Thank you Howard :cool:and GO OWLS!
Posted On: Oct 29th 2015, 3:28 PM #351185

That was pretty cool.
Back to the top

walty12 said

"keeping the graduation rates up and the program squeaky clean"….

Im all for winning, but this needs to be the #1 priority of our leadership whether its the coaching staff, AD, etc.

We lose this focus, I will no longer support our program.  
Posted On: Oct 29th 2015, 12:14 PM #351177

Yes of course that's def more important than winning games my point was the administration wanted to only focus on this as a result of the Shapiro scandal regardless of W's
Back to the top

I though Shannon was brought in to clean up the program, did that,  but got fired for not winning enough too? The U can't seem to have it both was! THUG U and clean CANNOT co-exist! Sad that thjey are still THUG_U but getting embarrased on the field and in re-cruiting too (see Parr as an example!).

C'mon Charlie, sweep in and get some more better ball players to Boca, just teach 'em respect and sportsmanship too! This is what you are good at - and get some DECENT Coords too. Mr. Kelly and Mr. Chun - if this means spending more $$$, than do so, we have gotta do better on the field to fill all those empty seats!

Strike while the iron is hot and the opponents (UM & UCF) are down! GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I want to buy a Farrari. Instead I drive a Ford F 150. That is what I can afford. FAU , believe it or not, has a budget. The football program must work within that budget.Lets just win. Other comparable teams do it. I know if we fill the seats we will have more money. So do you spend money you dont have , hope to win, and hope to fill the stands. Or do you win, fill the stands, then spend the money after. I know how a politician would do it. But we have to answer to a board before spending. They are not politicians.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

walty12 said

"keeping the graduation rates up and the program squeaky clean"….

Im all for winning, but this needs to be the #1 priority of our leadership whether its the coaching staff, AD, etc.

We lose this focus, I will no longer support our program.  
Posted On: Oct 29th 2015, 12:14 PM #351177
Yes of course that's def more important than winning games my point was the administration wanted to only focus on this as a result of the Shapiro scandal regardless of W's
Posted On: Oct 29th 2015, 4:34 PM #351189
I hear ya, just bothers me that the lack of a minor league in college football has led to a culture in the Power 5 of win at all costs and forget that these are student athletes.

The attitude and culture of the Power 5 then translates to fan bases such as ours and we forget that the players in our program are here as student athletes.  They are ameature by definition…winning isn't the only thing that matters.

Do I want the program to win, of course.  Do I want to be represented as an alumnus of FAU by a program that has no standards or values in exchange for winning...absolutely not.  Miami is a different animal, the fan base is made up of 90% general population...not alumnus.  They cheer for them as a minor league team representing the city.  The negativity of the program doesn't reflect on thier resume.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I hear ya, just bothers me that the lack of a minor league in college football has led to a culture in the Power 5 of win at all costs and forget that these are student athletes.

The attitude and culture of the Power 5 then translates to fan bases such as ours and we forget that the players in our program are here as student athletes.  They are ameature by definition…winning isn't the only thing that matters.

Do I want the program to win, of course.  Do I want to be represented as an alumnus of FAU by a program that has no standards or values in exchange for winning...absolutely not.  Miami is a different animal, the fan base is made up of 90% general population...not alumnus.  They cheer for them as a minor league team representing the city.  The negativity of the program doesn't reflect on thier resume.
Posted On: Oct 29th 2015, 7:41 PM #351196

I agree. But it would be nice to have a clean program and occasionally go to one of the bottom bowls. Not too often, but every couple of years… And once in a while contend for the conference title - the worst conference in Div I.

I will say, it feels a lot better to just be a bad football team. Not a bad football team that fired it's head coach because he was *allegedly* snorting cocaine with his staff in Key West. While other coaches were recruiting, planning, and building programs.

I just ruined my own day.
Back to the top

Mary Jane Saunders did two good things. She helped get the stadium finally built and she fired Craig Angelos.
Back to the top

But then lost her job because of the stadium naming "issue".
Back to the top

voss749 said

Mary Jane Saunders did two good things. She helped get the stadium finally built and she fired Craig Angelos.
Posted On: Oct 30th 2015, 1:30 PM #351200

I don't know man I can definitely say that we were headed in the right direction under Pelini (Angelos biggest hire). Can't say the same for Chun's guy right now
Back to the top

I agree with LawOwl. As we stand, this very minute, things are very much in question. I an not sure what direction we are going in.
Back to the top
Control functions: