Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Florida Game Thread - November 21st, 2015

Add topic

teambeer said

Not sure if you're refusing to call him by the right name or if you really don't know his name, which, if true, is actually quite hilarious and insulting to Coach McElwain!
You might be the head coach of the Gators but the casual football fan has no idea who you are.

Anyhow, on to the comment. Has anyone heard the entire quote? I feel like we're missing something here, it doesn't make sense for a 9-1 SEC coach to lob grenedes at a team as pathetic as ours. I could totally see the quote being in contex of "taking us seriously" and we're a talented team made of mostly Florida kids that "we" (at UF) may have overlooked so these kids will come in with a chip on their shoulder so we're focused on this game.

I've heard a coach say this exact thing about us. I don't know, maybe he's just a d!ck, but I've never seen him doing anything like that so far.

Posted On: Nov 20th 2015, 7:30 AM #352145

Ask Ken Lavicka espn 106.3 he heard the whole quote. Nothing in "they wish they were gators" implies taking us seriously or a talented team. Hes not lobbing grenades hes just flapping his mouth like he didnt care.  
Back to the top

And why should he care? Is he wrong?

How many of ANY of our athletes in ANY sport would stay if offered a scholly to play SEC sports at UF as compared to staying at FAU?  Guaranteed 90% minimum would jump ship. Where is Scarlett playing (uF) whwer is causey playing (UCF). We are the bottom of the pecking order, along with FIU, in recruiting in Florida!

Have we EVER threatened UF in football, yes we scored 20 on 'em with Rusty and com. but we also gave up over 50 did we not?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

How many of ANY of our athletes in ANY sport would stay if offered a scholly to play SEC sports at UF as compared to staying at FAU?  Guaranteed 90% minimum would jump ship. Where is Scarlett playing (uF) whwer is causey playing (UCF). We are the bottom of the pecking order, along with FIU, in recruiting in Florida!

Have we EVER threatened UF in football, yes we scored 20 on 'em with Rusty and com. but we also gave up over 50 did we not?
Posted On: Nov 20th 2015, 3:46 PM #352151

This is 100% true. No players in this state dream of playing for FAU, FIU, Jacksonville University, etc. Players dream of playing at FSU and UF. When those teams don't call that is when they turn to schools like us. It will not change anytime soon either. So it is tough to get mad at a comment that is 100% true.
Back to the top

This is where diplomacy comes in...no purpose in the comment, IMHO.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Nov 20th 2015, 3:46 PM #352151

This is 100% true. No players in this state dream of playing for FAU, FIU, Jacksonville University, etc. Players dream of playing at FSU and UF. When those teams don't call that is when they turn to schools like us. It will not change anytime soon either. So it is tough to get mad at a comment that is 100% true.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2015, 4:01 PM #352152

Schnellenberger's original goal wasn't to steal recruits away from UF and FSU. His goal was to steal recruits from out of state universities like Rutgers, Illinois, Louisville and others who recruit heavily in Florida.  

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I actually must've let autocorrect fill in their head coach's name and then went with that for UF head coach "McWhat's-his-name". 

In any case, I get that his statement has truth to it but as Rick states there is such a thing as diplomacy and tact - 2 skills Coach UF lacks.

Generally, I harbor no particular ill-will towards any other teams in Florida (except when they play FAU) except of course our rival, FIU, if we can call domination a rivalry.

But I tell you every person I've shown the statement to was shocked that someone would say that. 

I perceive it as a below the belt type comment and believe he deserves many many more Georgia Southern type losses and wish them on him.

On the other hand, I can't shake that in the back of my mind somehow FAU "got" to him. Maybe he was shocked we caught the attention, if ever so briefly, of Jordan Scarlett. And there have likely been and will very likely continue to be cases where even the almighty UF was bested by FAU in some way in recruiting or otherwise. 

The athletics facility donations pouring in, etc. 
FAU recruiting behind partridge is a threat to many regardless of wins. The NFL still scouts the sidelines at FAU games and all games are nationally televised now. 

We've moved up in the pecking order more rapidly than we may want to let on and likely quicker than the "Big 3" appreciate. How would you feel being UM without on campus stadium AND no multimillion dollar athletics training facility to boast of in recruiting either? 

I'd say he's watching his back with regards to recruiting by outright insulting FAU like a hurt schoolgirl who doesn't like others starting to get any real attention. 

GEORGIA SOUTHERN
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
GEORGIA SOUTHERN

Now, I've cursed UF with lousy play. They're yours for the taking Owls - rip em up! 
Back to the top

FAUProwler made some valid points!  Look forward to seeing many Owls out there today, rain or shine!  Maybe one of our QB's could do a clock play like in Necessary Roughness and hit Coach Mac in his chops, just saying.  Go Owls!!!!!!
Back to the top

Owls hold the Gators on first possession with TWO negative plays...good start for the D!
Back to the top

FAU forces UF to punt after a sack and a hurry.

Quez connecting to Stoshak for two first downs.
Back to the top

STOP THE PENALTIES PLEASE! ALL SEASON LONG!

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP.

Thank you.

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top
Control functions: