Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU AD Pat Chun Interviews at Illinois

Add topic

I don't keep up with UI, I have no real interest in the university. I found a Chicago Tribune article that mentions Chun dated 2/2/2016. I live about an hour from Champaign/Urbana. No one talks much about it where I live. College sports aren't as big a deal in this part of Illinois as it is down south.
Chun would get more money for sure at Illinois but there is kind of a lackluster following of athletics.

Illinois concludes interviews with seven athletic director candidates - Chicago Tribune

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

David Slavic said

owlmart said

Was Chun a Saunders hire?  Perhaps him and Kelly don't see eye to eye on certain things and plus Illinois is a step up for him in terms of pay I'm sure.  I have confidence Kelly would bring in someone who can continue to move us forward.
Posted On: Feb 8th 2016, 10:54 AM #354499

He was hired about two years before Kelly was hired (2012). But, Kelly promoted him to Vice President in June 2014. At that point, Kelly had been the president for about six months.

So I don't know if they disagree, since Kelly promoted Chun. However, it was six months into his tenure, so it could have been a premature promotion.

Who knows man. I can get sucked into this political, athletic, and educational intrigue the way my wife gets sucked into Vanderpump Rules…
Posted On: Feb 8th 2016, 11:12 AM #354500

Haha.  True, it could just be for the better opportunity and a bigger check but like you said who knows.
Back to the top

Bottom line is I have FULL FAITH Dr. Kelly would bring in someone EVEN BETTER if it happens.
Back to the top

One step closer to being gone:

Illinois down to two candidates for AD.

But… sounds like the previous AD was fired for hiring losing coaches. Chun has done the same thing here. That works against him.

Chicago Tribune says that Illinois will move to make a hire by the end of the month.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

But… sounds like the previous AD was fired for hiring losing coaches. Chun has done the same thing here. That works against him.

Chicago Tribune says that Illinois will move to make a hire by the end of the month.
Posted On: Feb 15th 2016, 8:12 PM #354658

Good luck to the new hire on improving football. I haven't seen any improvement in the 15 years I've been here and how ever many coaches have been there during that time. 
The Basketball program is strong and has a good following. Much more than football. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I think turning around the football program at FAU would be easier then Illinois. Easier conference, better location etc. Being an AD is tough. Lets face it, the goal for most family guys is to advance your career. If Pat were to land this job it would be an advancement. He would get a contract for a certain number of years. He and his employer would have goals in mind and if Pat meets those goals he would be successful. I like Pat and thought he has done OK with FAU. Remember, there is always another person waiting for the chance to prove they can do the job better than the last person.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Feb 15th 2016, 8:12 PM #354658

If it's not a compliance or personal issues aren't most AD'space fired for lack of winning (hiring losing coaches)?

Back to the top

The bigger question now is what if he doesn't get the job?
He has already shown that he wants to move on.
How can you back and talk to donors about your vision for the program.
Or ask for money when they know you won't even be here.
I honestly think Kelly wants someone of his choosing and if Chun doesn't get the position they will "mutually part ways". 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

The bigger question now is what if he doesn't get the job?
He has already shown that he wants to move on.
How can you back and talk to donors about your vision for the program.
Or ask for money when they know you won't even be here.
I honestly think Kelly wants someone of his choosing and if Chun doesn't get the position they will "mutually part ways". 
Posted On: Feb 16th 2016, 9:15 AM #354662

From what I've read it sounds like President Kelly is a more important figure for raising money so as long as he's still in place we're set.

I've heard that Chun and Kelly don't see eye to eye on some things - which isn't entirely unexpected - but don't know what "some things" are and how important they are to Kelly. Don't both guys want to run this like a big-time program, want to grow facilities, ensure athletes graduate, all in the face of minimal donations and lackluster local community support? Those seem like the most important factors of a Division 1 program and I can't imagine they aren't on the same page unless Chun has fallen into an oubliette of despair that nothing will change here because we have no money and that flies in the face of Kelly's ambitions.
Back to the top

We have several students that work here at our office, and they hate Chun. In their view, he's not student-friendly, and apparently they've had to work against him in the past.

The example they give is that Chun didn't want to give the students tickets to the Miami game, but wanted to charge them like other attendees.

Regardless of whether he was right or wrong, it doesn't help the program to have the student body at odds with the AD.

FWIW, they LOVE Pr. Kelly. We have one part-timer that works in his office too, and Kelly has done nothing but endear himself to the student body. Really the opposite of Chun.
Back to the top
Control functions: