Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Men's Basketball Games Week of February 20th, 2016

Add topic

It takes both in the perfect scenario…

But in our case, we made a questionable call in the leadership; which is compounding matters.

Matt McCall was our guy.

BTW, Chattanooga is 24-4 right now.
Back to the top

Obviously Coach Curry was hired because of his NBA experience. I think this was another case where Chun thought recruiting moreso than coaching experience would turn into results.

But our results show that you can't do this unilaterally. You need both.

Back to the top

Rick said

It takes both in the perfect scenario…

But in our case, we made a questionable call in the leadership; which is compounding matters.

Matt McCall was our guy.

BTW, Chattanooga is 24-4 right now.
Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 1:27 PM #354761

Biggest mistake ever for basketball program. We probably will never have a shot at him again either!!
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

We probably will never have a shot at him again either!!
Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 4:20 PM #354763

We are a step down from where he is so unless the wheels fall off up there, I would imagine his next step will be up. UT Chatt has better facilities and have been to the NCAA tourney 10 times.
Back to the top

fauowl said

walty12 said

Money matters to a degree, no question.  And the mens basketball program could use more of it.  But if you are going to justify going 1-15 in conference play last year because of finances we aren't even close to being on the same page.

I can assure you coaching matters.  Its not a coincidence Alabama went on the run they are on when Saban got there…they didn't throw money at the football program (well, any different than they had since before Saban…they have always pumped money into the program), they put the correct leadership in place.  Same as UF, they haven't taken money away from the program…a coach left.
Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 12:20 PM #354758

If you are comparing Alabama Football program building to FAU Basketball program building, I agree we aren't even close to being on the same page. We are not even close to being on the same planet.  :Big-Grin:

Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 1:09 PM #354759

Ha, they aren't in comparison.  But there are similar lines to draw.  My point is this…Alabama didn't go from losing to Louisana Monroe at home in 2007 to incredible in 2009 because of money.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

fauowl said

walty12 said

Money matters to a degree, no question.  And the mens basketball program could use more of it.  But if you are going to justify going 1-15 in conference play last year because of finances we aren't even close to being on the same page.

I can assure you coaching matters.  Its not a coincidence Alabama went on the run they are on when Saban got there…they didn't throw money at the football program (well, any different than they had since before Saban…they have always pumped money into the program), they put the correct leadership in place.  Same as UF, they haven't taken money away from the program…a coach left.
Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 12:20 PM #354758

If you are comparing Alabama Football program building to FAU Basketball program building, I agree we aren't even close to being on the same page. We are not even close to being on the same planet.  :Big-Grin:

Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 1:09 PM #354759

Ha, they aren't in comparison.  But there are similar lines to draw.  My point is this…Alabama didn't go from losing to Louisana Monroe at home in 2007 to incredible in 2009 because of money.  

Posted On: Feb 20th 2016, 6:39 PM #354765

Alabama Football has all the money in the world. Of course coaching matters at that level. They can get whomever they chose. of course recruiting matters at that level, they can get any recruit they want.

Someone said during football that recruiting rankings and stars matter because Alabama is highly ranked in recruiting and they win national championships. Really?

We keep comparing ourselves to national powerhouses for coaching and recruiting.

It is a ridiculous argument.

Money matters to a degree? Come on, you can not tell me you believe that. Money is everything in college sports, look at the rankings.  

Our stadium cost $70M. Texas A&M's stadium upgrades cost $450M. We need to understand where we are in this world, and what it takes to get there instead of wanting to replace a coach every 10 minutes.
Back to the top

Back to the games…

MBB is in Denton to take on North Texas in a virtual must win contest for seeding. Owl starters: Cyla, Filer, Trapp, Delph, and Rutherford.
Back to the top

15:47 The Mean Green enjoy an early 8-2 lead over the Owls, who are 1-of-7 out of the gate.
Back to the top

9:59 Owls go down by 10, but climb slightly out of the hole to trail UNT 21-14. Paint proving to be a challenge once again. Hill with 6 PT
Back to the top

6:41  FAU 17  North Texas 26. Mean Green clipping long at 42% from the floor, Owls 32%. 2nd Chance points = 9 for UNT.
Back to the top
Control functions: