Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Baseball Stadium

Add topic

owlcountry40 said

No, this would cost a lot more and cause a ton of logistical problems if you want spring tanning and MLB would have to build an MLB training  facility as well.
This will also cause scheduling issues through out the year especially this month when FAU usually play 15 homes games.
Posted On: Mar 14th 2016, 3:10 PM #355228
Thought about his idea before and sadly came to the same conclusion, don't know if it could work playing at the same time, or even if it could, would people come to watch the Owls, maybe if they scheduled a more prominent March schedule (UF, UM, FSU, Rice, Arizona, Stanford).

The Braves really want to move back to Palm Beach County so I then wonder if FAU has even broached the subject with them, even if shared faciility off campus but nearby in Boca still. I also don't think we have enough land on campus to pull off what a major league team would want (main Stadium, practice fields, concessions, offices, locker rooms, BATHROOMS:Smug:).
Back to the top

My opinion on sharing a stadium is if we can't build our own, we are not ready for it. I think neither side will want to share.
Back to the top

I rather have a stadium just for us. Curious how much is it to build a indoor swimming facility? because we could use the spot for different part of the stadium complex.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Curious how much is it to build a indoor swimming facility? because we could use the spot for different part of the stadium complex.
Posted On: Mar 14th 2016, 10:44 PM #355232

Technically, the answer to these questions is always, "depends on the scale/what you're going for" but from what I've seen… way more than you'd probably think.

For instance, in May 2014 "a new $26 million competition swimming pool will be included in the renovation of the Southeast Recreational Facility (SERF) on the campus of the University of Wisconsin—Madison.

Plans for the renovation will include moving the SERF pool to the lower level of the facility and creating a venue capable of hosting a variety of competitive swim meets, including Badger swimming and diving and WIAA state swimming."

source

Dallas proposed one for $16.7M.

So… not cheap.

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

Curious how much is it to build a indoor swimming facility? because we could use the spot for different part of the stadium complex.
Posted On: Mar 14th 2016, 10:44 PM #355232

Technically, the answer to these questions is always, "depends on the scale/what you're going for" but from what I've seen… way more than you'd probably think.

For instance, in May 2014 "a new $26 million competition swimming pool will be included in the renovation of the Southeast Recreational Facility (SERF) on the campus of the University of Wisconsin—Madison.

Plans for the renovation will include moving the SERF pool to the lower level of the facility and creating a venue capable of hosting a variety of competitive swim meets, including Badger swimming and diving and WIAA state swimming."

source

Dallas proposed one for $16.7M.

So… not cheap.

Posted On: Mar 17th 2016, 12:03 AM #355253

Ok. that will be way down on the list of priorites then.
Back to the top

Guys, I'm no genius, but I don't think there is any extra cash. We don't even have enough to get the indoor sports thing going. If we did, there would be movement. We need to be happy with what we have because it will be years before we move on any other major project. Remember, there are more needs on campus other than sports needs.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Guys, I'm no genius, but I don't think there is any extra cash. We don't even have enough to get the indoor sports thing going. If we did, there would be movement. We need to be happy with what we have because it will be years before we move on any other major project. Remember, there are more needs on campus other than sports needs.
Posted On: Mar 17th 2016, 3:31 PM #355256

FAU Foundation Financial Statements:
http://fauf.fau.edu/cgi-bin/files/pdf/foundation/2014_fauf_financial_statements.pdf
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Mar 17th 2016, 11:59 AM #355255

Yep. Way down.

Local Owl said

Remember, there are more needs on campus other than sports needs.

Right, and there always will be.

The difference is that the state will pay for, say, a new general education building if we make a good enough argument for it. I really thought that would be next, outside of sports.

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Mar 17th 2016, 11:59 AM #355255

Yep. Way down.

Local Owl said

Remember, there are more needs on campus other than sports needs.

Right, and there always will be.

The difference is that the state will pay for, say, a new general education building if we make a good enough argument for it. I really thought that would be next, outside of sports.

Posted On: Mar 17th 2016, 7:18 PM #355261

Yes they would pay for a new general education building. However in today's society, the success of college athletics, and academia go hand in hand it seems.
Back to the top

Investing in athletics is a MUCH quicker way to get upgraded in Conference affiliation and thus money. A new Arts building will do nothing towards that IMHO. Sad but very true, Athletics is the way to higher prestige and MUCH higher $$$ today.
Back to the top
Control functions: