Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Baseball Stadium

Add topic

I see well over $200M invested in stocks and even hedge funds, how about we INVEST some of that $$$ in ourselves and our substandard facilities.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I see well over $200M invested in stocks and even hedge funds, how about we INVEST some of that $$$ in ourselves and our substandard facilities.
Posted On: Mar 18th 2016, 11:07 AM #355265

I dont think we can by law, but someone with more knowledge about the fau constitution and state law regarding the public university system might be more knowledgeable than me.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

GeorgiaOwl said

I dont think we can by law, but someone with more knowledge about the fau constitution and state law regarding the public university system might be more knowledgeable than me.
Posted On: Mar 18th 2016, 12:53 PM #355266

Ya may be totally right cause I sure don't know. But why you can risk over $200M on stock market "investments" and even in"hedge funds" over using your own money to improve your own campus just seems strange to be, but that would be government.
I think with the way College revenues are going EVER MORE STRONGLY to the Power5 schools even if they may not deserve it, we REALLY need to make a VERY STRONG PUSH to get beyond CUSA which is really now just SunBelt A over the older SunBelt B. seems CUSA has nowhere to go but down from here on as we lose top programs and markets to the Power5 expansion and have to replace them with smaller market Belt or FCS programs, not the right direction!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.  You want to liquidate to build an academic building.  Contributions (spread between unrestricted, temp restricted and perm restricted) were approximately $12.6 mil.  While Interest and dividends, rental income and other income totaled approximately $6.2 mil.  I don't think it would be wise to divest the investments for a building when 33% of the annual revenue is coming from the earnings on these investments.  Very short sighted point of view.

It looks like they are doing pretty good investing.  These numbers are kind of stale it would interesting to see the current financial statement and see how they are doing in the current fiscal year with the beating the market has taken.  But these are long term investments so I am sure they aren't panicking.

Just for comparison UF foundation has assets of approximately $1.9 bil.  You don't sell the investments to build buildings.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

You have to also consider page 4, which shows restricted and unrestricted assets, and Note 12 which shows the purposes of the restrictions. Only about 4% of the net assets are unrestricted.
Back to the top

And they are restricted for a reason. To prevent sports bloggers from spending it . OC I. and MLB B. are right on.
Back to the top

I see where Naples has unanimously rejected building a spring training complex/stadium for the Braves.

I wish there was someway of  a joint project by The Braves/FAU/Boca Raton and Palm Beach County to build a shared stadium on or near campus. Split the costs evenly, this would allow FAU baseball to have the BEST stadium in CUSA and host season games and host post season series/tourneys.

Thoughts?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I see where Naples has unanimously rejected building a spring training complex/stadium for the Braves.

I wish there was someway of  a joint project by The Braves/FAU/Boca Raton and Palm Beach County to build a shared stadium on or near campus. Split the costs evenly, this would allow FAU baseball to have the BEST stadium in CUSA and host season games and host post season series/tourneys.

Thoughts?
Posted On: Dec 14th 2016, 9:44 PM #364743

UAB and Birmingham did. It can be done, but it would take the city, the university, and the team signing off. It be a long shot but it can be be done. But I rather have the stadium on campus due to the number of fans that the team draws on a game/series basis. A minor league stadium hosting a regular season college baseball team, it would look mighty empty. That is my opinion.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Thoughts?
Posted On: Dec 14th 2016, 9:44 PM #364743

My thoughts on a shared stadium is that the problem is that Spring training and the start of FAU baseball is at the same time. Scheduling challenges.
Back to the top

I have never liked the idea. We have the land. We have the field. We have the team. Some time , down the road, we need the building. A building that has toilets. Still makes me laugh," for your convenience, restrooms are located at the swimming complex that is located adjacent to the baseball field." Please wait till we can afford it.
Back to the top
Control functions: