Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 Conference USA Baseball Tournament Thread

Add topic

Souther Miss knocked off Marshall 9-3 in Thursday's nightcap.

Two more teams will be heading home after today's action:

Friday, May 27
Game 9 Louisiana Tech vs. Florida Atlantic @ 4:00p
Game 10 FIU vs. Marshall @ 7:30p
Back to the top

Local Owl said

The team did what they needed to do to win, but Rice battled and took the win.

Saw a quote from McCormack on SouthernMiss beat reporter Julius Kizzee's Twitter that "we didn’t really have a game plan. We just wanted to play good baseball."

I'm not a baseball couch and I'm also not sure how literal he's being there but it's concerning when you go into a conference tournament game against a good team and just try to wing it.
Back to the top

His answer was taken out of context, IMO. It wasn't a quote on the "FAU’s loss". The context was that we had just played them, and did we have a specific plan to beat them given the information gained.

What he was basically saying in short was "No", and that they weren't going to do a Rice (stall ball), or try to stay in counts long, or play small ball to avoid having to get big hits, etc. Teams with deficiencies and match-up issues do that.

Anyway, we should have won that game - period. Ragsdale had his worst showing of the season at the worst moment possible.
Back to the top

Who: LA Tech (38-17) vs. No. 13 Florida Atlantic (38-16)

Friday, 5/27 @ 4:00 PM

LTU: TBA
FAU: RHP David McKay (3-5, 3.55 ERA)

Notes

Louisiana Tech put up double-digit numbers for the second day in a row thanks to a season-high 18 hits to run-rule Charlotte, 13-3, in a shortened eight-inning contest Thursday.

The Bulldogs, who have scored 25 runs on 31 hits in their first two games of the tournament, became the first since the 2010 Rice team to score at least 10 runs in consecutive C-USA postseason games. During the span, Raphael Gladu has hit .818 (9 of 11) with four RBI, three runs scored, and a stolen base.

Florida Atlantic closer Cameron Ragsdale had not allowed a run to Conference USA competition while tossing 21 consecutive scoreless innings coming into Thursday's 6-4 loss to Rice (10).

Reliever Devon Carr allowed only one hit in two scoreless innings before turning the ball over to Ragsdale in the ninth.

"That has not happened to him all year, but closers don't go 20-for-20 or whatever he was going for, 16-for-16," FAU coach John McCormack said. "It just doesn't happen, and it's a shame that it happened in this arena."
Back to the top

Second day in a row with a 10th inning loss.

However, this one will end it for FAU in the 2016 C-USA Tournament.

One seed in the NCAA Tournament would seem very unlikely at this point.

Back to the top

On the bright side, a bit more time to rest the pitching staff for the games that REALLY count. It would have been great to be recognized as an #1 seed. On the other hand, I'd rather go to Coral Gables or Tallahassee ready to take no prisoners than to Tempe or somewhere worn out. Then maybe we'll host a Super Regional. Even if not, I like the D1 regional pairing with the Miami and Coastal Carolina.
Back to the top

I felt like we were off during the whole tournament. Too many walks by the pitcher. Too many left on base. The top hitters  (not CJ) not performing.Fielding and running errors. Still love our arms. I think we held some very potent offenses down and kept us in every game. Just not scoring enough and not enough power. Really like the young guys and the way they developed. Tyler Frank was great. Gunner was great. I miss the teams of a few years ago when we had some power guys. We are a very good team when we are playing at a high level at every aspect of the game . When one of those are off, we struggle. Lets see where we end up. If we put it all together , we can still make a serious run. Wish we had at least made it to the final. Now I am a SO Miss fan. For no other reason then their fans and family are always super nice and respectful.  
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I felt like we were off during the whole tournament. Too many walks by the pitcher. Too many left on base. The top hitters  (not CJ) not performing.Fielding and running errors. Still love our arms. I think we held some very potent offenses down and kept us in every game. Just not scoring enough and not enough power. Really like the young guys and the way they developed. Tyler Frank was great. Gunner was great. I miss the teams of a few years ago when we had some power guys. We are a very good team when we are playing at a high level at every aspect of the game . When one of those are off, we struggle. Lets see where we end up. If we put it all together , we can still make a serious run. Wish we had at least made it to the final. Now I am a SO Miss fan. For no other reason then their fans and family are always super nice and respectful.  
Posted On: May 27th 2016, 8:06 PM #356372

I was recently in Hattiesburg, great people.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: