Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Set to Build New Tennis Facility

Add topic

owl2Doc said

Well again golf courses are expensive to maintain so FAU would have to be expected to at least break even on their investment.

Do the golf teams draw any spectators? I'm curious because I actually have no idea. I don't imagine it's anything close to a significant source of revenue for the Athletic Dept even if they do.

Using it for fundraisers is a no-brainer but I think they just do that one every year, right?

If they open it up to general students you could make an argument for raising athletics fees but that's always a touchy subject. There could be a three way partnership between the students, the Foundation and Athletics maybe, and even that is weird to say because Athletics is funded by the other two, so it's really a two-way deal.

Just wondering how to spin it.
Posted On: Jul 6th 2016, 11:44 AM #356919

not unless its like a major tour like the professional tournament.
Back to the top

walty12 said

The latest and greatest I've heard on this is…

Ocean Breeze closed down on Thursday for good.  Lenar bought the land with no plans of keeping a golf course.

However, their are going to be zoning issues which Lenar will have a tough time overcoming.  I have heard the city of Boca wants to get rid of the current Boca Muni, which doesn't have the zoning issues Ocean Breeze does.  So Lenar might literally swap with the city and make OB the city of Boca's municipal golf course.

I'd like to see that happen.  Ocean Breeze is in a great geographical location, with city $ invested to make it the boca muni,  could be a really nice place to play golf (basically a place off 95 and Yamato in the shape Osprey Point is in).

As far as FAU goes, not sure if the city woudl be interested in partnering with us or not.  If they were, FAU would be stupid not to hop on this.
Posted On: Jul 3rd 2016, 12:13 PM #356900

Almost 100%!

Lennar is under contract, but has not bought, or closed on it yet…

They also have a contingency that they must garner residential support from BTUOA for the lake front homes (instead of golf course) that they want to build. Otherwise they will end up owning land that will sit dormant…I am getting plastered with mails about it.

Personally don't care, as I would simply go from fairway to lake front view, but others won't be so lucky.

The support is thought to be there, however BTUOA has lobbied successfully to have the city hear proposal to swap out, as you mentioned. This would effectively have the city buy part of Ocean Breeze and Lennar drop the contract on part of it.

There you have it, Paul Harvey style.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Well again golf courses are expensive to maintain so FAU would have to be expected to at least break even on their investment.

Do the golf teams draw any spectators? I'm curious because I actually have no idea. I don't imagine it's anything close to a significant source of revenue for the Athletic Dept even if they do.

Using it for fundraisers is a no-brainer but I think they just do that one every year, right?

If they open it up to general students you could make an argument for raising athletics fees but that's always a touchy subject. There could be a three way partnership between the students, the Foundation and Athletics maybe, and even that is weird to say because Athletics is funded by the other two, so it's really a two-way deal.

Obviously the budgets are different but schools like Michigan, Ohio State, etc have thier own golf courses.  I would like to know how they fund it and generate revenue.

Those courses are open to the public so they generate revenue from tee times, restaurant, etc.  I dont think they rely on spectators to golf events for revenue.  But yes, I think some student fees might be applied.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owl2Doc said

Obviously the budgets are different but schools like Michigan, Ohio State, etc have thier own golf courses.  I would like to know how they fund it and generate revenue.

Those courses are open to the public so they generate revenue from tee times, restaurant, etc.  I dont think they rely on spectators to golf events for revenue.  But yes, I think some student fees might be applied.

Posted On: Jul 6th 2016, 12:53 PM #356924

For the schools with their own courses alot let the public use them. I know for the courses on the bases where I was station, you had to have someone meeting you at the course if you werent active duty, and you paided a higher than what the Marines did.
Back to the top

If getting into the business of golf course ownership is in the top 200 priorities for FAU, I will eat the football stadium.
Back to the top

fauowl said

If getting into the business of golf course ownership is in the top 200 priorities for FAU, I will eat the football stadium.
Posted On: Jul 6th 2016, 4:58 PM #356926

Might want to talk to the guy who ate a plane for some tips  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

fauowl said

It's mid-july, we've got to discuss something.  

If you think it's bad now wait until last week of July when I start speculating on the inagural season of FAU's bobsled team.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

fauowl said

It's mid-july, we've got to discuss something.  

If you think it's bad now wait until last week of July when I start speculating on the inagural season of FAU's bobsled team.  
Posted On: Jul 6th 2016, 9:43 PM #356929

Not a alot of hills for the team to practice on here in south Florida.  :Laughing:
Back to the top

Or snow in Jamaica mon! Really miss Big John Candy!
Back to the top

From what I've read, having either the City or FAU invest in this golf course to save it seems like a losing proposition. I'm hearing that the City is offering a landswap with what sounds like the Osprey Point golf course out west (Glades/441) in order to keep the Ocean Breeze course but I also saw something about the City being interested in Ocean Breeze for recreational uses with less expensive upkeep other than a golf course.

There is some interest in bringing a Top Golf facility to Boca, not sure if that would work there.

Could keep it as a disc golf course but I doubt that's even on the table. I think most people think of it as a "niche" sport, unfortunately, like muggle quidditch.
Back to the top
Control functions: