Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Southern Illinois @ FAU Game Thread - September 3rd, 2016

Add topic

Salukis hanging around, strike for a TD off tip by an Owl defender which should have been an INT but miss XP. SIU 30  FAU 38  2:41 to play.
Back to the top

Ocie Rose with a HUGE strip on defense to stop Salukis desperation drive. Owls ball, time to set up the Victory formation.
Back to the top

Owls Win!

Back to the top

A win is a win. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come
Back to the top

Couple quick thoughts.

I'm not as worried about the D because we'll that was just lazy poor tackling.

Bigger concern O line was BAD Driskle, Parr, Brady none of those guys are winning behind that. 
Back to the top

Way to get the first Win under our belt early. How did they look in person? Seems like the Defense played well in the 2nd half. The U handed it to FAMU scoring 70 points. May be a tough game next week. Go Owls!!!!
Back to the top

MHO..Offense.played well enough to win. Very few penalties .Driskel looked tough. Threw some very nice passes and a few not nice. Coordinator stuck to his game plan. Very balanced attack. Defense..Front seven look strong. Db's look like they can be beaten by a good passing team. Roc almost refused to adjust to those outlet passes. One after another. Over and over. They had a hard time running and our rush prevented them from any type of pocket passing.But those little outlets where two wide outs blocked our two DB's and left the receiver one on one with a third DB or LB. Over all a good night. A win is a win. I'm hoping to see SIU put up some points against the next team. Then I won't be so nervous about our D. They had some good tough players on O. Hoping the injuries were bruises and not serious. 1-0 Yea!
Back to the top

OC40..just read your post. Totally agree about O Line. Our most experience unit . C- at best.
Back to the top

Here are my thoughts. Driskell defintley learned from last year's experience about stepping up in the pocket to escape pressure. Offense Line did have some problems but with the loss of Bain that was expected. Running backs and receivers looked good. one major concern i had through out the game was our defense giving up big plays, but they did shut down SIU when they needed too. i am confident, coach partridge and coach roc will clean that up. I do have one question though maybe some can answer for me. Late in the fourth quarter the ball got snapped and driskell ran it towards the sideline and didnt make it while the oline didnt move. So my question is was it a design play or did they think they had a free play there?

But as my dad always says. A W is a W no matter how ugly it is. -
Back to the top

Some random thoughts. A bit all over the place.

Secondary needs to greatly improve tackling out on the edge.  Kickoffs placed in the corner worked.  Need better coverage especially on Kickoffs down the middle.  Driskel stayed within himself.  Did a nice job throwing away a screen pass that the D had read.  When the pocket collapsed, he went forward and got what he could.  Buddy needs 25 touches. Maybe 1 or 2 outside the tackles.  Tonight's 16 not enough.  Buddy also did a great job blocking.  Trey H is a beast.  I was hoping Coach Roc was going to have him go cover that bubble screen that they were killing us with.  Field goals 1-1 from 40 yds.   Clock management, ugh… with the lead in the 4th qtr we have to let the play clock run down.  Can we get the highlights filmed from the booth and send them to local TV.  The ground level shots don't do justice.  Our punter is a weapon!  Nice of Lucky Whitehead to come back for opening day.  Misdirection plays worked!

What else?  Nice turn out from the student body.  Oh yeah, what a pain getting in the stadium.  Lines, people checking bags were slow and seemed to want to be anywhere else.  Hate to think what would happen in a sell out!  To the Boca lady trying to bring in the Samsonite two-suitor, why are you surprised you couldn't bring that in to the stadium?  Where have you been?

That said, we're 1-0.  Miami next with a coach that wanted to send a message today.  Maybe we can send one ourselves next week.
Back to the top
Control functions: