Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 9-3-16

Add topic

GeorgiaOwl said

Charlotte down 0-56 at the half!
Posted On: Sep 1st 2016, 9:17 PM #358198

Holy crap!
Back to the top

Yeah they just don't care down there.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Sep 1st 2016, 10:48 PM #358208

Not only that but there's a Dolphins game (first game with the roof) and plenty of other things to do in Miami. The presumption is that playing in the Miami market brings great benefits but it's actually counter intuitive. Nobody will show up for a middle of the road mid major school at best when it "ain't the only game in town" so to speak .
Back to the top

I thought FIU looked good. WKU looked good. Rice /Char. not so good. So goes the smaller conferences. Almost like two levels of play. The good teams and he not so good teams. I wonder which category we will fall in to ? The FIU attendance at kick off was almost unbelievable. More than half the fans were IU fans.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Sep 1st 2016, 10:48 PM #358208

Not only that but there's a Dolphins game (first game with the roof) and plenty of other things to do in Miami. The presumption is that playing in the Miami market brings great benefits but it's actually counter intuitive. Nobody will show up for a middle of the road mid major school at best when it "ain't the only game in town" so to speak .
Posted On: Sep 1st 2016, 11:46 PM #358209

I don't buy the "there's so much to do in South Florida" argument any longer. There is lot's to do, don't get me wrong.

I think it is a lack of relevancy in the college football world (we have the same problem). There were not 40,000 FIU students at the Dolphins game.  There were more sitting at home doing nothing other than looking at their iPhone.

We have 30,000 students and 25,000 will never see a FAU Football.  Ever.

Winning helps as everyone is about to say, but we have to win many years in a row to start to move the needle in the relevancy department.  Let's start the process this year!!
Back to the top

Thursday's Results:

WKU 46, Rice 14

Mike White threw for 517 yards and three touchdowns in his debut as starting quarterback as WKU opened the season and Conference USA play with a 46-14 drubbing of Rice.

Indiana 34, FIU 13

A fourth-quarter deficit, on the road, in a season-opening game with a new quarterback wasn't exactly the scenario Indiana would have chosen for itself.
The Hoosiers made overcoming that challenge look easy.

Richard Lagow passed for one score and ran for another in the fourth quarter, and Indiana returned two interceptions for touchdowns in its season-opening 34-13 win over Florida International on Thursday night.

No. 19 Louisville 70, Charlotte 14

The Charlotte 49ers (0-1) in their first-ever game against a nationally-ranked FBS opponent fell on the road at 19th-ranked Louisville (1-0), 70-14, in their season-opener. This marked the first time that Charlotte has lost their season opening game in the program's history.

Back to the top

Man FIU looked solid against Indiana. Granted, it's Indiana, but still. And I hope we never have to play App State.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Man FIU looked solid against Indiana. Granted, it's Indiana, but still. And I hope we never have to play App State.

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2016, 9:12 AM #358216

I wasn't impressed at all. Did you see the QB play!
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2016, 9:14 AM #358217

I agree, they had a couple of good plays on the first drive (I think they settled for a field goal).  Then a lot of missed opportunities.  But their QB missed a ton of passes, sort of reminded me of us over the last several years.

The announced attendance was 16,080!    It was theme night, dress like a seat back.  I have to think we would have had a better crowd playing IU.  It will be interesting to see how we draw against UCF in a couple of years compared to them.  They just don't like football down their, I think a lot of it has to do with the leadership, they can't stand Garcia and I think he actually pushes people away he is so despised.

one last comment regarding FIU playing with a Dolphin game on the same night.  The Dolphin stadium was pretty empty so I don't think that effected FIU.
Back to the top

OC Irritant said

DeltAlumnus said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2016, 9:14 AM #358217

I agree, they had a couple of good plays on the first drive (I think they settled for a field goal).  Then a lot of missed opportunities.  But their QB missed a ton of passes, sort of reminded me of us over the last several years.

The announced attendance was 16,080!    It was theme night, dress like a seat back.  I have to think we would have had a better crowd playing IU.  It will be interesting to see how we draw against UCF in a couple of years compared to them.  They just don't like football down their, I think a lot of it has to do with the leadership, they can't stand Garcia and I think he actually pushes people away he is so despised.

one last comment regarding FIU playing with a Dolphin game on the same night.  The Dolphin stadium was pretty empty so I don't think that effected FIU.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2016, 9:40 AM #358218

Well to be honest I only watched the first quarter, then switched over to watch Tennessee get exposed by Appalachian State.
Back to the top
Control functions: