Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ FIU - Shula Bowl XV Game Thread - October 1, 2016

Add topic

FAU @ FIU - Shula Bowl XV Game Thread - October 1, 2016

The Matchup: FAU (1-3) vs. FIU (0-4)

When: Saturday, October 1st, 7:00 PM

Where: FIU Stadium

Weather: Current conditions in Miami, Fl

The Series: The Owls lead 10-3 all-time versus the Panthers and are looking to avenge 2014's 38-10 loss in Miami.

Panthers Team Site: Here

Game Information

TV: beIN

Live Video: None

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Stats: Here

Opening Line: FAU -5

Back to the top

Whoa… per USA Today FIU fired Ron Turner!

"Defensive coordinator Ron Cooper is taking over as interim coach. The Panthers play host to rival Florida Atlantic on Saturday.

Turner’s contract had been set to run through Jan. 3, 2018. According to the terms of the contract, FIU will owe him a little more than $700,000 as the buyout, subject to offset if Turner gets another job in either college or pro coaching."

(In case you missed it FIU also did a soft firing of AD Pete Garcia where he'll be out in Jul 31st, 2018, only granted an extension to "focus on completing approximately $14 million in renovations and upgrades to facilities including the football and soccer stadiums, the convocation center, and completion of the softball and golf complex.". The fans must be thrilled; both were holding their program back which was admittedly good for us as a rival school. Their fans have been clamoring for Butch Davis... maybe their brass will listen and take a shot at him)
Back to the top

So things did get a bit more interesting with RT out at That One School to the South. DC Ron Cooper has been handed the interim HC duties.

There MAY also be some QB controversy down in Miami. In a last ditch effort to spark the Panthers' offense, RT BENCHED one of G5's best young QB's in Alex McGough for Miami native, freshman Maurice Alexander.

The freshman struggled mightily against That One School to the North (my East), so I would be SHOCKED, if McGough doesn't line up behind Saturday in the Shula Bowl.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

There goes my Butch davis idea!! 

Fiu has the cash to play like this, no stadium debt, 60k students. Man I hope Kelly sees this and demands some action!
Back to the top

Mr. Kelly is the boss. From a financial point of view, I am certain he would like to see advancement in the program. He did not hire these guys. But he is stuck with the active contracts. I don't know this to be fact but I think we are in no position to do anything that will cost money. I truly think I'm going to lay off FAU football for a while. I'm going to become a Canes fan. Paint my face so no one knows me, drink too much, and cure at anyone that will listen. Might be more fun.
Back to the top

The Owls open as 5 point favorites for this weekend's contest. First time they have been favored this year - SIU had no line.
Back to the top

SH-T, they could not wait one more week! Oh, well guess they had to free him up for the LSU job! Now THAT would be a steal of a hire for us! Recruits very well!
Back to the top

Rick said

The Owls open as 5 point favorites for this weekend's contest. First time they have been favored this year - SIU had no line.
Posted On: Sep 25th 2016, 5:12 PM #359846

I wonder if they took a peek at the weather forecast…..I mean, if there's a weather delay…..

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

FIU will win if our coaches repeat the Ball State performance:

(1)  If we get the ball in first and goal at the 4 yard line….run three times behind a weak offensive line.
(2)  Make halftime adjustments and end up scoring only 3 points in the second half.

I think our OC may be in over his head.
Back to the top

OwlsleyTheOwl said

FIU will win if our coaches repeat the Ball State performance:

(1)  If we get the ball in first and goal at the 4 yard line….run three times behind a weak offensive line.
(2)  Make halftime adjustments and end up scoring only 3 points in the second half.

I think our OC may be in over his head.
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 2:37 PM #359905

Or ANOTHER OC being held in check by a D oriented HC. Pelini and partridge IMHO hurt Wright. When he was his own man he we VERY aggressive and passed WAY more. Just a thought.
Back to the top
Control functions: