Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIRE CHARLIE!!!

OWLNATION said

Charlie was a calculated risk with the potential to be a good coach, however, it has become evident from the last two HC hires, that HC experience is a must have.

FAU has decided against payday games in lieu of more home games to build a fan base. The future schedule requires winning to increase game day attendance, to replace the revenue lost from those payday games and the reduction in TV revenue. From an economic standpoint, I give him until mid-season next year before FAU decides to pull the plug. I would prefer the end of this season.
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 7:29 AM #359882

I disagree with the premise we need an experienced coach.
Any experienced coach coming here is a going to be some low retread IE like how FIU hired Ron Turner.

Fans tend to always wants the opposite of what they have if they have a young coach they want to go experienced, if they have Defensive coach who fails they want a sexy OC form another school etc.

We just need to find a better version of Charlie, there are many young coaches out there right now who could win more with this talent then Charlie we just need to find them.
PJ Fleck didn't have experience neither did Tyson Summers or the 3 first year head coaches that have beaten Charlie the last two years.
Finding a coach is just luck and you need to keep swinging until you hit.  

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

OWLNATION said

Charlie was a calculated risk with the potential to be a good coach, however, it has become evident from the last two HC hires, that HC experience is a must have.

FAU has decided against payday games in lieu of more home games to build a fan base. The future schedule requires winning to increase game day attendance, to replace the revenue lost from those payday games and the reduction in TV revenue. From an economic standpoint, I give him until mid-season next year before FAU decides to pull the plug. I would prefer the end of this season.

Any experienced coach coming here is a going to be some low retread IE like how FIU hired Ron Turner.

Fans tend to always wants the opposite of what they have if they have a young coach they want to go experienced, if they have Defensive coach who fails they want a sexy OC form another school etc.

We just need to find a better version of Charlie, there are many young coaches out there right now who could win more with this talent then Charlie we just need to find them.
PJ Fleck didn't have experience neither did Tyson Summers or the 3 first year head coaches that have beaten Charlie the last two years.

Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 10:41 AM #359893

Before the scandal, I liked Kendall Briles at Baylor. I'd still like to hire him, except the student body would probably riot like the did with the GEO Group naming rights. But Kendall can coach, has lead a great offense in the Big 12, and been a part of taking Baylor from bottom dweller to conference contender.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

OWLNATION said

Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 10:41 AM #359893

You have a valid point Owlcountry 40!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Yep… and unfortunately you usually have to burn through 3-4 seasons before you know what you've got.

I project that Charlie's gotta win at least 4 more games this season to show he has what it takes to stay here and be our guy. He likely will need to fire Coach Roc as well - any suggestions who could replace him?

Two things I noticed: 1) we like to hire FCS coaches for salary reasons and 2) BCS programs tend to hire previous head coaches for coordinator positions. Maybe we can get an FCS HC with a great defense to be our new DC.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

OWLNATION said

Let me throw out a name. Kerwin Bell. Hes not a household name but hes had a solid coaching record and ambition.
Back to the top

Is Charlie Weis still getting checks from Notre Dame? He wouldn't coaching for $0.5-1M a year… right?!

Anyways, I'm still hopeful we can turn the season around.
Back to the top

voss749 said

Let me throw out a name. Kerwin Bell. Hes not a household name but hes had a solid coaching record and ambition.
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 1:15 PM #359897

I'm going to put together fore 2016 coaching search thread he is one of the names…. the others are fire as well.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

voss749 said

Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 1:15 PM #359897

I'm going to put together fore 2016 coaching search thread he is one of the names…. the others are fire as well.
Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 1:34 PM #359899

He was at jacksonville U and they fired him because he wanted to go full scholarship FCS and they didnt.  Hes at Valdosta State now. Im sure it would be cheap to buy out his contract with them.

I still cant believe even 4 years later we passed over Joe Moglia for Carl Pelini.  Joe was one of the finalists.

Look at all the good work Joe Moglia has done at Coastal Carolina since then. Id still consider him because we can sure pay more than CC.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

owlcountry40 said

Yep… and unfortunately you usually have to burn through 3-4 seasons before you know what you've got.

I project that Charlie's gotta win at least 4 more games this season to show he has what it takes to stay here and be our guy. He likely will need to fire Coach Roc as well - any suggestions who could replace him?

Two things I noticed: 1) we like to hire FCS coaches for salary reasons and 2) BCS programs tend to hire previous head coaches for coordinator positions. Maybe we can get an FCS HC with a great defense to be our new DC.

Posted On: Sep 26th 2016, 1:13 PM #359896

What head coach was an FCS coach?
Back to the top

We need to JOIN the new Century and hire and OFFENSIVE minded HC for todays O powered game. And THAST will also put fans in our empty eats.

We played good on O 1st half, then SETTLED for a FG from the ONE so that was a win for Ball St. and a HUGE loss for us EMOTIONALLY! Right there, end of game to me! Then add in several weather delays and our VERY lackluster way of coming out and NOT getting fired up for the restart.

THOSE kinda things P–s me off more than the actual loss, the attitudes that CAUSE the loss! INEXCUSEABLE, FOOTBALL IS AN EMOTIONAL GAME, PLAY IT SMART, BUT PLAY IF WITH EMOTION, ESPECIALLY AT HOME!

ANOTHER NICE WIN GIVEN AWAY COACHES. HOW MANY IS THAT NOW IN THREE YEARS?????????????
Back to the top
Control functions: