Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

It's Fixable

I think our problems start with conditioning. I don't remember seeing so many kids on the ground after a play than this year. We have no energy to put on a fight the second half. 
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Matt , you said you have your ideas. Lets hear them. My solution is what every college does in our position. Make a major move . Fire the head guys. Shake it up. Start fresh with new faces.Now lets hear your solution to fix this mess.
Posted On: Oct 2nd 2016, 12:35 PM #360411

1.  First thing that comes to mind is our playbook.  Predictable and tired.  
2.  We need a two back set.  Opens up the T option, play action, screens and draws.  
3.  Need to get Driskel out of the pocket, roll him out.  Could be his strength
4.  Receivers need to block
5.  When we run misdirection it works, then we seem to retire the play
6.  Buddy Howell is our best weapon.  We have to find more inventive ways other than "Buddy up middle"
7.  Take a shot down field to keep opponents D honest
8.  Clock management – time to go fast and a time to slooow down
9.  4th and short qb under center
10. Buddy 25 touches a game.  

On D  The Bend then Break defense has to stop.
1.  Press coverage on the slots.  3rd down conversions are an easy pitch and catch
2.  Corner Blitz?
3.  Short yardage: at least 5 down lineman
4.  Defense for bubble screen?- get Trey H in the passing lane and blitz a LB
5.  Tackling??  Have to wrap up.  Can't wave or just put a shoulder in them.
6.  Anticipate the play call and adjust.

Should be good for starters.
Back to the top

Matt C said

Local Owl said

Matt , you said you have your ideas. Lets hear them. My solution is what every college does in our position. Make a major move . Fire the head guys. Shake it up. Start fresh with new faces.Now lets hear your solution to fix this mess.

2.  We need a two back set.  Opens up the T option, play action, screens and draws.  
6.  Buddy Howell is our best weapon.  We have to find more inventive ways other than "Buddy up middle"

1.  Press coverage on the slots.  3rd down conversions are an easy pitch and catch
2.  Corner Blitz?

Posted On: Oct 2nd 2016, 1:00 PM #360415

This is all philosophy which is clearly counter to the current staff's philosophy.  If they don't believe in this, how do you expect the players to execute the philosophy with this staff?

You can't see the forest for the trees; your posts are all the same and lack any sense of reality.

The only way this gets fixed is with a new staff, head to toe.  Clean house.

There clearly is a disconnect between the staff and perceived talent on this team.  The staff is not maximizing what they have.
Back to the top

Matt C said

Local Owl said

2.  Corner Blitz?

Unless you watch coaches film of a game and really really really know the it this post is just worthless and you dont know exactly what you are talking about.
You make it sound so easy like yea just anticipate and adjust.
Well if that easy ill coach the team for 200 bucks a game lol.
I also dont know what you are watching because we do blitz a lot I'd say more then most college teams.
If you want to talk about things like clock management be specific.

For example when we had the ball before half and we were at like the FIU 42 with 53 seconds we hit a 7 yard pass on 2nd down
we had three timeouts left and wasted 25 seconds getting to the line for a big 3rd and 3.
USE YOUR TIMEOUT!!!!!! talk about a big third down. Instead because rushed we didn't get the 3rd down and ended up taking 56 yard FG.
Back to the top

Matt , all great stuff. Now my question is this. We have professional coaches that get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to figure out what will and what will not work using our current players. Do you think our coaches have thought of every option, including yours, or do you think your ideas are new to them. My guess is that they have thought of yours and ruled them out for what ever reason. That philosophy is the single biggest difference between two different coaches. That is why I say , if the current system, with our current player is not working AND the coaches can't find a system that works with our current players, Find a new coach with new ideas and a different philosophy .In other words, I agree with you. But, your ideas have been ruled out by our coaches as "not the best way to be successful". We can't fire the team and talent we have. We need a new philosophy. We have very good athletes on out team that are being held back.When they think too much, they are a step late. TURN THEM LOSE ! I would love to have a staff in place for twenty years. That won't happen until we find the right staff.
Back to the top

We're talking x's and o's…

Our players arent tackling, blocking or catching the ball.

Can we start with the fundamentals of good football?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Matt C said

Local Owl said

2.  Corner Blitz?

I agree Matt.  This can get better. This offense has players. But I don't think the coach has any talent
Back to the top

GET TOUGH WITH THE TEAM AS A COACH, you are not their friend, you are their coach!

Break BAD HABITS in practice, players and coaches!

Fumble, go run a mile , drop a pass, go run a mile, miss a block, go run a mile. Throw a pick go run a mile!Covers ball security, missed assignments AND conditioning which I agree sucks and always has. Wyoming or Buffalo pushing US around in the 4th quarters? SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN OUR HOUSE IN OUR ENVIRIONMENT.

I am old school and would make the players and coaches much more responsible. Also a BIG fan of the BENCH, Ya screw up - hit the bench! No player you want on your team in any sport should be happy on the bench! Ya wanna play, stop screwing up, get your HEAD right!

On BOTH O and D, be MUCH MORE AGGRESSIVE in play calling. THE D; If frigging S. Bama can be aggressive with a very good and ranked S.D. St. why can't we. Unless strength and conditioning here suck too and they may! Is ANYBODY here impressed with the team itself this year? I am not. Get the D line or LB's in thier backfield every play and disrupt and panic the opposing qb. Most will! If ya have good corners you can put them on their island and do this! THE D CANNOT JUST CHASE PEOPLE LIKE WE DO!

The O;  I am not pleased with our conservative play calling with a weak O-line (and why is this????) Where is our depth? And why so many pathetic 5 and 6 yard longest reception for many players week after week. Unless we threaten them deeper downfield they will load the box vs. our weak OL and that is the ball game. 92 yards passing vs. FIU!!!!!!! REALLY!

And lets not even talk Coaching and 2nd half adjustments and putting games away. 1 for 3 so far (vs,. the FCS schoo).  Ball St. and FIU = 10 points TOTAL FROM THE O IN THE 2ND HALF WITH THE LEAD AT THE HALF!

SAD AND PATHETIC.

I would take any of the jobs (HC/OC/DC) today for 1/3 the money (PLUS $$$ for each win!) and be 3-2 right now. Football is not rocket science and most anybody here or anywhere can see the writing on the wall with now 8 blown wins (or is it 9) in the 2 and almost 1/2 years of Coach P.

Think about that one - 8 or even 9 losses from wins (not counting UF guys, we should never have been in that game) but that was our really one shining moment in 2 and nearly 1/2 years. And that was still a loss too!

ALL DOWN HILL IN A LANDSLIDE SINCE THOUGH (PLEASE don't count the FCS S. Illinois game, that should have been a 20 point win minimum!).
Back to the top

I appreciate what you're trying to do, Matt C… just don't think we're in the right headspace to hear it right now.

What I wondered is whether there are football consultants who are hired to come in and come through game footage to determine if a firing is justified. Are these players consistently out of position, was the playcalling as awful as we thought it was, are we actually making statistical progress, etc.

While it's possible, I don't think Pat Chun is looking at Charlie's work with this level of detail, or your level of detail, and we have consultants in plenty of other areas of business so why not college football?

Furthermore, if a consultant did come through and said, "Look I know this seems bad but Partridge and Co are actually making the right calls for these situations and there is enough suggestion that we are on the right track", could we accept that if we felt otherwise? My background is in science so I can take the data over how I feel.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Matt , all great stuff. Now my question is this. We have professional coaches that get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to figure out what will and what will not work using our current players. Do you think our coaches have thought of every option, including yours, or do you think your ideas are new to them. My guess is that they have thought of yours and ruled them out for what ever reason. That philosophy is the single biggest difference between two different coaches. That is why I say , if the current system, with our current player is not working AND the coaches can't find a system that works with our current players, Find a new coach with new ideas and a different philosophy .In other words, I agree with you. But, your ideas have been ruled out by our coaches as "not the best way to be successful". We can't fire the team and talent we have. We need a new philosophy. We have very good athletes on out team that are being held back.When they think too much, they are a step late. TURN THEM LOSE ! I would love to have a staff in place for twenty years. That won't happen until we find the right staff.

Posted On: Oct 2nd 2016, 2:01 PM #360424
I admit I over simplify what is a complex problem.  For instance, I suggest a screen pass.  Sounds simple, right?  It is a very tough play to execute.  The play has 11 individual assignments that have to be executed correctly for the play to work.  You just don't throw it in the mix.  Any of our suggestions are nothing new to our coaches.  they call the plays and run the schemes they  feel put the team in the best position to win.  They certainly are in a better position than I am.    There is nothing wrong with the philosophy.   Remember our guys are serious students that play football.  I don't believe we are trying to be an NFL farm team.  Our Coaches stress academics and character as well as athletics.  It took guts to cut our arguably our best offense threat this past spring.  There is a method behind their actions.  Our coach has a vision and values that I like.  I can be patient.

This conversation is more suited for wings and beer than a computer screen.  Tell me where and when.

BTW, Marshall is 1-3.  I don't think they are looking for the head of Doc Holliday up in Huntington
Back to the top
Control functions: