Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

It's Fixable

OC Irritant said

Rick said

walty12 said

Charlie is 7-what 24?  The ride is over, there is no defending at this point.

Is there an example of a coach EVER coming from a record this bad to find success?
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 8:54 AM #360485
He is 7-22.

Schnelley was 10-26 his final three years with a busted hip and he was sent packing.

Partridge will be very close to that mark after three years.

Just sayin'…

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 9:41 AM #360489

Mario Cristobal was 9-27 after 3 seasons.  Then went 7-6 and 8-5 with 2 bowl appearances.  3-9 his last season.  We have a Mario situation.

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 9:45 AM #360490

Man you are the last guy on the Titanic telling everyone it's going to be alright.
Another about Mario is that fact he has not gotten another job since then despite now being part of the Alabama staff.
Not one other G-5 program has said lets give this guy another chance.
It is the same reason why would never want someone like Eddie Gran for the fact he has interviewed a bunch yet has never been hired. You have to ask yourself why does everyone turn their nose towards him?
Back to the top

OC is right about Cristobal.
Back to the top

The "Fire the Coaches" folks need to take a step back.  Don't be mistaken, I want this FAU Team to win,  on and off the field.  This season, we lost two games in the 4th quarter.  We should have won both.  We are a couple of plays and a break or two from being 3-2 instead of 1-4. This team is better than many give credit.

Last year we lost 6 games we were leading in the second half (2 in OT).   The coaches have done the heavy lifting.  IMO the changes needed to make this team a success in the W-L column are minor.

Looking forward to going to see the Charlotte Game Saturday
Back to the top

David Slavic said

1-11
5-7
3-9
7-6
8-5
3-9

We're 100% in a Mario Cristobal situation - a bad head coach that can recruit, and might hopefully have a couple years where we barely win more than we lose, then back to being a bad team.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 11:13 AM #360492

Then Garcia goes and hires Ron Turner (35-57 prior) in one of the most boneheaded head coach hiring moves of all-time.

That worked out well!

What does this really say though…

Too hard to win down here at this level of play going head-to-head with other programs for the talent needed, poor administrators making the call, or poor candidates?

I think it is actually a combination of all three working in tandem at times.

Back to the top

Matt C said

The "Fire the Coaches" folks need to take a step back.  Don't be mistaken, I want this FAU Team to win,  on and off the field.  This season, we lost two games in the 4th quarter.  We should have won both.  We are a couple of plays and a break or two from being 3-2 instead of 1-4. This team is better than many give credit.

Last year we lost 6 games we were leading in the second half (2 in OT).   The coaches have done the heavy lifting.  IMO the changes needed to make this team a success in the W-L column are minor.

Looking forward to going to see the Charlotte Game Saturday
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 12:02 PM #360495

But I think the reasons you give are the very reasons the "fire charlie" people (myself included) are frustrated. This is the third year in a row of blowing games in the 4th quarter or overtime. Like you said, last year we lost SIX games that we were leading in the second half. We should have been 9-3, or at least 7-5. Four years ago we were 6-6. then 3-9, 3-9, and now 1-4. It's starting to look like we might not even make it back to 3-9. No offense to you, or disrespect to your opinion, but I don't think there is a way to rationalize losing to an FIU team with an interim head coach that we were beating in the second half. Nor is there a way to rationalize having the worst loss in program history to KSU, especially when we were playing UF hard a year ago, and getting respect from other programs.

This is nothing other than regression, in a year that was supposed to be the year that everything came together.
Back to the top

i think "Matt C" might be "Charlie P"

a LOT of problems with your post

1) "We have a lot of talent on this team.  That is because our staff has done a great job of recruiting." i'm not sure about "a lot" of talent. Terrible LB's, no O-Line depth, a qb that doesn't throw downfield and an interior d-line that leaks like a civ.  pretty much looking at Rose, Howell and Hendrikson as the "talent".

2) "The staff has the players excelling in the class room." As cute as this stat always sounds, everyone knows that it really doesn't matter at all.  Urban Meyer's guys didn't bother showing up to class at Florida - did ANYONE care? Nope-just win, baby.

3) "When Pellini left, FAU knocked it down and rebuilt the whole thing.  And, has done a great job building a top program. All except one thing.  Game Day!" Wow-these lines are a mess. First of all, they didn't tear it down at all. Whitehead, Dukes, Quez, Stoshak, D'Joun, Leblanc, and more were PELLINI guys and we stuck with them. it's not like Charlie came in and blew a bunch of cats to the curb. He has done a "great job rebuilding a top program? where, how, when???? this team has no playmakers other than (arguably) Howell. And they were NEVER a "top program"-we've always been UCF's ugly kid brother at BEST!  Also-GAME DAY is the onLY day that matters! i don't care how guys do at practice-i want to WIN!

Charlie HAS to go. He had his chance to make it something and he failed. He simply doesn't understand how to coach a college team, on offense or defense.  I think he could go back to being a marginal position coach like he was before-but head coaching is NOT for him!

FIRE CHARLIE NOW! i know i won't be at another game until he AND roc are GONE
Back to the top

Rick said

Too hard to win down here at this level of play going head-to-head with other programs for the talent needed, poor administrators making the call, or poor candidates?

Probably right there.

Regarding the last point, I have to wonder if these head coaches are looking more long-term than we are. For instance, we offer half a million for a head coach in south Florida and you automatically think anybody in their right mind would jump at that, especially with a multi-year contract and buyout clause so you make $3M over 6 years before taxes - most people live for much longer on much less, right?

But what if you're a coach thinking, okay, their athletic budget is X, their fanbase is Y, they don't have Z, I'm committing myself to making lemonade from less-than-ideal lemons and if it doesn't work out - say you go 7-22 - then you may have buried yourself from being able to get another head coaching job at a comparable institution. So I imagine they weigh that too. The people we considered were willing to take that chance.

There's a saying that each relationship improves a person until they're marriage material, and similarly here we're instituting nutritional programs and building an athletic center etc that are standard at other Division 1 institutions. The coach in the transition doesn't get things as good as the next coach but eventually you hit that sweet spot and take off… then the candidates improve because they think the odds are much better that they'll succeed.
Back to the top

Rick said

David Slavic said

1-11
5-7
3-9
7-6
8-5
3-9

We're 100% in a Mario Cristobal situation - a bad head coach that can recruit, and might hopefully have a couple years where we barely win more than we lose, then back to being a bad team.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 11:13 AM #360492
Then Garcia goes and hires Ron Turner (35-57 prior) in one of the most boneheaded head coach hiring moves of all-time.

That worked out well!

What does this really say though…

Posted On: Oct 3rd 2016, 12:06 PM #360496
Yeah Ron Turner was a terrible hire. But I think it should be easier to win down here. We play in C-USA, we have a nice stadium, and apparently there's an athletic center in the works. On top of that, the local talent is really good. USF and UCF are 4-1, 3-2, respectively, in a tougher conference. Plus for UCF especially, it's like 45 minutes away from UF, so they live in a much bigger shadow than we do with the U to the south of us.

I think it's bad hiring by Chun, and a tight budget. There are some really, really good head coaches who have been found and won games. I think our budget constraints hurt, but I also think Chun hasn't done a good job. Ideally, I'd like to see who Kelly could bring in. 
Back to the top

My only comments regarding the subject–It's Fixable:

We are heading toward our 6th game of the season. Now would be a very good time to FIX it.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I wholeheartedly agree that this team is fixable. However, I vehemently disagree that "It's Fixable" with Charlie P. and staff. Charlie seems like a good person and means well, however, he doesn't have the chops to be a head coach.
Back to the top
Control functions: