Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UTEP @ FAU Game Thread - November 12th, 2016

Add topic

UTEP @ FAU Game Thread - November 12th, 2016

The Matchup: UTEP (3-6, 1-4) vs. FAU (2-7, 1-4)

When: Saturday, November 12th, 6:00 PM

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

The Series: The Miners took 2015's inaugural meeting 27-17.

UTEP Team Site: Here

Game Information

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv (Fee)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Stats: Here

Opening Line: FAU - 2.5

Back to the top

If anyone is going to the game and want to get a RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP meal beforehand, starting at 4:00 PM you can cash in on this, Federal Hwy and Mizner Blvd - not far at all - and they have a DRIVE THRU with no limits on the amount you can buy…tailgate idea if you ask me!

Back to the top

Notables from UTEP Head Coach Sean Kugler’s Monday’s FAU Presser

On Florida Atlantic

"Moving on to Florida Atlantic. I think this is a very talented team and I don't think their record reflects that…Another big athletic group of receivers. These guys grow on trees down there. [Their sizes are] 6-foot-3, 6-3, 6-7, 6-4 and 6-2. That's some big, tall receivers and they're athletic. And their tight end [Tyler Cameron], you throw him into that group…we have to be on our screws. I think our corners have been doing an outstanding job all year versus bigger receivers. But this will be our biggest group by far, probably including Texas.’

"They utilize both of them [running backs] and they're both change-of-pace backs. They're athletic upfront. I think really, skill wise and talent wise, they're very similar to FIU, how they have two explosive backs. And their quarterback, when he's playing well, they kind of can put it all together much like our team. Really since Ryan Metz has been playing each week, we've continued to progress on offense and we'll continue to progress on offense. [FAU] is starting to get that from their offense and I think they're pretty excited about the game they've put together against Rice. “

"Their defense, they have a defensive end that's an NFL type player, [Trey Hendrickson]…They have a very big and athletic defensive line, a really good and fast linebacker and a fast safety.”

"Defensively, where they struggled a little bit is, again, on third downs - giving up 47 percent. So I think it's going to be one of the big keys in the game is stopping them on third on defense and doing a good job on third downs like we did last week on offense.

"They've played outstanding competition. It seems like, probably like our game, they put it all together last week offensively and defensively. They played extremely well against Rice on the road. And they'll have a lot of confidence coming into this game at home. We're going to leave on Thursday to get acclimated. We'll probably get there on Thursday night, give the kids a snack and put them to bed. We'll practice Friday at Florida Atlantic and get our feet up under us and we're probably going to change practice routine a little bit this week, so we'll make sure we're fresh for back-to-back road trips against FAU and Rice. And we're really looking forward to this next step in our challenge and taking it one game at a time."

On Aaron Jones breaking UTEP's all-time rushing yard's list

"I think Aaron is the best running back in UTEP history and I've got the upmost respect for John Harvey [UTEP's all-time leading rusher], who was an unbelievable player. But Aaron is the total package. This guy can catch, he can block, he does things without the ball in his hand. He can play special teams. He's a selfless player. He was so excited that Kevin Dovegot that touchdown. [Jones] was the first one to greet him out there and he was hugging him. And a selfish player would've been like, `hey man, that's my carry and that's my touchdown', and that's not Aaron Jones, that's not how he's built. Would I have likened him to get the [rushing] record at home? Sure. But no doubt he'll break that record there upcoming soon. He's a great player and there's not telling how far he can take that. If he continues on that pace for this year to next year, it's probably a record that will never be broken."

On being 0-20-1 all-time in the Eastern Time Zone

"I don't pay a lot of attention to those type things because some of those could've been 20 or 30 years ago. I don't know; all I worry about is this team. We're going to try to do all the proper things. But there are things when you play in Florida that you have to attend to. You got to hydrate, staring today. You can't wait until Thursday and drink a bottle of Gatorade and think you're going to be okay down there in that humidity. We're going to try to get ample rest, but we're also going to try to get our work done there and get acclimated. But again, it's just getting out to play a football game regardless of the venue, regardless of where you're playing, and I know our kids are going to go out thereto give an outstanding effort."
Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: