Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Butch Davis to FIU with Five Year Deal

Add topic

Back to the top

fauowls44 said

owlcountry40 said

cbboarder said

Butch Davis to FIU!

Not good for the Owls……..
Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 5:25 PM #362474

The guy hasn't coached in 8 years.
Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 6:02 PM #362476

I get why FIU would want him, but they were the only school in the country that would go near him.  Not that it makes it a bad hire either.  But like you said, he's been out of coaching a long time.

Besides, I'm not concerned about what FIU is doing.  We have our own issues to fix before worrying about who they hire.  

I wonder if the past 2 weeks were enough to assure Partridge another year. Personally, I don't think beating UTEP and Rice should necessarily buy him another season.  If he can win the next 2, he's definitely safe.  But it will be interesting to see what happens though if he finishes 3-9 again…
Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 6:20 PM #362478

He's safe. Chun won't fire him. FIU will recruit well. We're sealing our place at the bottom of college football. Even if he doesn't win another game, there was enough trouble with the o-line that he'll get a pass. The two games we've won will probably be enough to keep Roc too.
Back to the top

Butch Davis just took over at FIU

I didn't think he would accept an offer so low on the totem pole….but I guess these days anything is possible…..I think we dropped the ball here…..

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

This is a big hire for FIU. Honestly anything can happen, he can win or fail, but where he's been, he's shown he can coach which translates to wins. I wish this was us making this big splash! I'm a little jealous. But hey let's end the season on a high note and hopefully finish off the season strong building momentum to next year! Go Owls!!! 
Back to the top

I listen to the most popular morning radio show every morning and they mentioned FIU and Davis three times in four hours this morning. Their take was this was a big move for FIU. Time will tell. Butch Davis has a popular name in Broward and Dade.
Back to the top

My thoughts on Butch Davis.  If that's who FIU wanted and they did what they needed to do to get the guy they wanted, then good for them.  If it brings them and CUSA 15 minutes of attention then that is also good. In the end, it all comes down to winning football games.

127 teams could have gone after him and didn't. It's not like FIU just outbid LSU for a new coach.  It's a big name for our conference and hopefully he does well at FIU and it increases competition and makes us better. 

Let's be honest, FIU and FAU have languished in mediocrity for too long. For all the talk of all the talent in Florida, I have not seen us or FIU or UCF or USF take a giant leap to get up with the big 3 of Florida.  Maybe this is just a step in the long process for all of us.

Go Owls.
Back to the top

This is an awful hire this hire does one thing and it get FIU talk on the radio for about 15min.

Butch hasn't been relavent since before 9/11. 
He was 23-25 in confremce at UNC and left them in a dumpster fire.
It's just Garcia trying to grab headlines over subtense I.E. Isaha Thomas. 

Butch has also never recruited at a school with the limeted resources FIU has.

I'm glad they hired him this will continue to be a dumpster fire for the next 5 years.

Butch it only "name" in south Florida because UM radio sits around and just talks about the past all day.

Hate to break this to you, but 17 year old kids are not listing to 790 or 560 and those kids were 1 or when Butch couldn't win national titles at UM and needed Larry finish it off for him.

Back to the top

A lot has changed since Butch was successful at Miami.

In all seriousness, a HUGE part of Miami's success in the past was due to thier only being 3 major D1 programs in one of the largest states in the country.  Back then our entire roster, FIU's, UCF's and USFs were all 2nd and 3rd string at Miami.

Think about it this way, Butch Davis took over the Miami job in 1995.  USF, FAU and FIU didn't have football programs at the time and UCF was D-IAA.  Now between the 4 programs we take 340 D1 athletes, 95% of which are from the state of Florida.  UF and FSU were both recuriting on national levels.  I could have recruited at a high level at Miami during that era.  

Completely different ball game now.

Miami fans think they have a coaching problem.  Here's the truth about Miami…if UCF, FAU, FIU and USF all got rid of thier programs tomorrow Miami would go back to its glory days.

You imagine if Texas or California only had 3 legitamate D1 schools to pick from?  They would be insane power houses by default as well.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Butch's contract is worth twice as much as Charlie's. $1M/yr according to USA today.
Back to the top

Lot to pay for 3-5 wins a year, and 7 people in the stands.

:Laughing:
Back to the top
Control functions: