Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Butch Davis to FIU with Five Year Deal

Add topic

Rick said

Lot to pay for 3-5 wins a year, and 7 people in the stands.

:Laughing:
Posted On: Nov 16th 2016, 2:24 PM #362510

We can do that for half the price.  At the very least, we are more efficient than FIU.
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Butch's contract is worth twice as much as Charlie's. $1M/yr according to USA today.
Posted On: Nov 16th 2016, 2:22 PM #362509

We may need to pay that much for our next coach too…
Back to the top

I'll do it for what Chuck is getting paid. I think I could win at least three. Now if I can figure out how to get paid for fishing, I'll be happy. P,S,  Chuck ain't goin' nowhere.
Back to the top

FIU has similar resources as FAU for their football programs. Now that Davis is getting paid $1M that leaves even less for facilities and other expenses like assistants salaries. FIU doesn't have the resources of a UM or UNC to recruit and coach, nor the legacy.
FAU will soon have new facilities to train athletes and its possible FIU doesn't even have an indoor facility on their drawing board yet.
President Kelly has made a commitment and we will see how hard he pushes it.
We shall see.
Stay positive.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I don't know if their resources are similar…especially with the strategic direction of each university. FIU is making a run at being the largest college in America, FAU is attempting to become a respected Tier 2 research institution in Florida, enrollment goals are vastly different.

FIU, currently about 55,000 enrolled, hoping to reach 65,000 in the short term future, and a $20 per credit hour Athletic fee

FAU, roughly 30,000 enrolled and that number will likely stay flat as we make greater efforts to raise admission standards, and we charge $17 per hour in Athletic fees.

You're the accountant, I'll let you crunch those numbers  :Big-Grin:

These factors also explain why their schedule has always been more favorable than ours. We go UGA, Alabama in the same year and they play Duke and Louisville (the older less relevant L'Ville) as their big Power 5 OOC games. Granted, we built a much nicer stadium than they have, but theirs is free, and we're saddled with debt load.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I'll do it for what Chuck is getting paid. I think I could win at least three. Now if I can figure out how to get paid for fishing, I'll be happy. P,S,  Chuck ain't goin' nowhere.
Posted On: Nov 16th 2016, 5:57 PM #362513

Lol I agree.
Back to the top

teambeer said

I don't know if their resources are similar…especially with the strategic direction of each university. FIU is making a run at being the largest college in America, FAU is attempting to become a respected Tier 2 research institution in Florida, enrollment goals are vastly different.

FIU, currently about 55,000 enrolled, hoping to reach 65,000 in the short term future, and a $20 per credit hour Athletic fee

FAU, roughly 30,000 enrolled and that number will likely stay flat as we make greater efforts to raise admission standards, and we charge $17 per hour in Athletic fees.

These factors also explain why their schedule has always been more favorable than ours. We go UGA, Alabama in the same year and they play Duke and Louisville (the older less relevant L'Ville) as their big Power 5 OOC games. Granted, we built a much nicer stadium than they have, but theirs is free, and we're saddled with debt load.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 8:02 AM #362517

I'd rather play 2 "body bag" games for $2m per year that we woudln't otherwise have and utilize it to pay higher level coaches.  

Coaching is everything in college football.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I'd rather play 2 "body bag" games for $2m per year that we woudln't otherwise have and utilize it to pay higher level coaches.  

Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 3:30 PM #362522

I'd be fine with playing those two games and allocating a million towards a coach every season. Makes a lot of sense if we win our conference games and make it to a bowl game.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

I'd be fine with playing those two games and allocating a million towards a coach every season. Makes a lot of sense if we win our conference games and make it to a bowl game.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 4:33 PM #362527

If we cancel it out by playing two FCS teams and going 2-2 OOC there's no reason not to.
Back to the top

walty12 said

teambeer said

Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 8:02 AM #362517

Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 3:30 PM #362522

Unfortunately with the size of our debt and lack of fans in the stands, we'd have to play 4 bodybag games to make enough to use for coaches salaries…the first 2mm goes to the bank
Back to the top
Control functions: