Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Butch Davis to FIU with Five Year Deal

Add topic

Too bad we can't take the money from the athletic/academic center and fully endow all of our student athlete scholarships. Then find a way to restructure the Owl Scholarship fund to go towards facility improvements along with athletic fees.
Back to the top

teambeer said

walty12 said

teambeer said

I don't know if their resources are similar…especially with the strategic direction of each university. FIU is making a run at being the largest college in America, FAU is attempting to become a respected Tier 2 research institution in Florida, enrollment goals are vastly different.

FIU, currently about 55,000 enrolled, hoping to reach 65,000 in the short term future, and a $20 per credit hour Athletic fee

FAU, roughly 30,000 enrolled and that number will likely stay flat as we make greater efforts to raise admission standards, and we charge $17 per hour in Athletic fees.

You're the accountant, I'll let you crunch those numbers  :Big-Grin:

These factors also explain why their schedule has always been more favorable than ours. We go UGA, Alabama in the same year and they play Duke and Louisville (the older less relevant L'Ville) as their big Power 5 OOC games. Granted, we built a much nicer stadium than they have, but theirs is free, and we're saddled with debt load.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 8:02 AM #362517
I'd rather play 2 "body bag" games for $2m per year that we woudln't otherwise have and utilize it to pay higher level coaches.  

Coaching is everything in college football.

Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 3:30 PM #362522
Unfortunately with the size of our debt and lack of fans in the stands, we'd have to play 4 bodybag games to make enough to use for coaches salaries…the first 2mm goes to the bank
Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 8:59 PM #362531
I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic on some level here.  But yes, even if we had to play 4 body bag games I'd be Ok with that if it meant we had a first class coaching staff capable of recruting, game planing and developing talent.  If we had that type coaching staff, they wouldn't be "body bag" games for long.

But on a real note, FAU's budgets aren't that tight.  Believe me, the school isn't broke.  Our athletics budget for 2016 $26,346,429, in 2012 the budget was $18m-ish.  We can always find the money.  The students might have to pay...but we can always find the money.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Boozie132 said

Too bad we can't take the money from the athletic/academic center and fully endow all of our student athlete scholarships. Then find a way to restructure the Owl Scholarship fund to go towards facility improvements along with athletic fees.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 9:47 PM #362532

Elaborate on what you mean here…I am not sure I understand.

Back to the top

walty12 said

Boozie132 said

Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 10:17 PM #362534

Right now we donate money to the scholarship fund, some might get saved and can acrew interest, the rest is used right away to fund the scholarship needs right now. What if we could fully endow all athletic scholarships by taking that lump sum intended for the Academic/ Athletic center. We would never have to collect scholarship money again and all athletes would receive full scholarships. An endowed scholarship is a permanent fund in which the principal remains intact and invested at all times. Scholarships are awarded from the allocated income earned on the principal investment. This would free up donations and athletic fees to be allocated to help with operation budget and facilities.
Back to the top

Boozie132 said

walty12 said

Boozie132 said

Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 10:17 PM #362534

Right now we donate money to the scholarship fund, some might get saved and can acrew interest, the rest is used right away to fund the scholarship needs right now. What if we could fully endow all athletic scholarships by taking that lump sum intended for the Academic/ Athletic center. We would never have to collect scholarship money again and all athletes would receive full scholarships. An endowed scholarship is a permanent fund in which the principal remains intact and invested at all times. Scholarships are awarded from the allocated income earned on the principal investment. This would free up donations and athletic fees to be allocated to help with operation budget and facilities.
Posted On: Nov 17th 2016, 10:35 PM #362535

I see what you're saying.  I would like to see how the cost of scholarships are determined and paid for by the school to the school.  Would be interesting.

Back to the top

Lets start with this…

CAN WE GET SOMEBODY on THE FAU STAFF THAT CAN SELL THE STADIUM NAMING RIGHTS!!!  PLEASE!  

Our stadium has been open for 5 years and this STILL hasn't been done.  Folks, this isn't a bad economy.  And dont tell me the center of Boca Raton isn't a highly visable spot.  Schools like Troy, MTSU, Arky State, etc ALL have sold thiers.

This kills me.  This should be an EASY additional $500-$700k per year added to our budget.  

Back to the top

walty12 said

Lets start with this…

CAN WE GET SOMEBODY on THE FAU STAFF THAT CAN SELL THE STADIUM NAMING RIGHTS!!!  PLEASE!  

Our stadium has been open for 5 years and this STILL hasn't been done.  Folks, this isn't a bad economy.  And dont tell me the center of Boca Raton isn't a highly visable spot.  Schools like Troy, MTSU, Arky State, etc ALL have sold thiers.

This kills me.  This should be an EASY additional $500-$700k per year added to our budget.  

Posted On: Nov 18th 2016, 8:26 AM #362538
So I found out it's not on FAU to sell the naming rights.
Leerfeild sports owns the rights its complicated, but from what I understand its not fully in our hands.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Lets start with this…

Leerfeild sports owns the rights its complicated, but from what I understand its not fully in our hands.

Posted On: Nov 18th 2016, 8:38 AM #362539

Thank you.  I am actually glad to hear that.  Let's me put some trust back into the folks working for us.

Who is Leerfield sports?  Why do they own the rights?  

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

cbboarder said

Butch Davis to FIU!

Not good for the Owls……..
Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 5:25 PM #362474
The guy hasn't coached in 8 years.

Posted On: Nov 14th 2016, 6:02 PM #362476

Its not for lack of talent.  Show Cause orders scare many schools off plus im sure he was making good bank as an analyst.

Butch Davis is 65 years old a year or two younger than Schellenberger when he became coach at FAU.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

Lets start with this…

Posted On: Nov 18th 2016, 8:38 AM #362539

Thank you.  I am actually glad to hear that.  Let's me put some trust back into the folks working for us.

Who is Leerfield sports?  Why do they own the rights?  
Posted On: Nov 18th 2016, 10:05 AM #362540

Isn't Leerfield the company we hired to do sports marketing for us?

LaVicka et al usually mention them during game coverage.
Back to the top
Control functions: