Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: USF vs FAU - 11/22/16 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

GAME THREAD: USF vs FAU - 11/22/16 @ 7:00 PM

What: USF (2-1) vs FAU (1-3)

When: Tues, November 22nd @ 7:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

TV: None

Live Video: Here *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3 FM

Live Stats: Here

Bulls Team Site: Here

The Series

USF leads 12-1 all-time. The teams split the last two contests with FAU winning 50-42 in 2010 and USF 68-55 in 2011.

USF at a Glance

Offense - 71.7 PPG, 47.6% FG, 32.6% 3PT

Defense - 70.7 PGA, 38.7% FGA, 30.1% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.3 PG Team, 37.0 PG Opponents

Notables

The Bulls are led by Orlando Antigua, who is in his third season as the head coach after spending the previous six season as an assistant to John Calipari.

They return five members of lasts season’s team including American Athletic Conference All-Rookie Team member Jahmal McMurray who scored the second-most points ever by a USF freshman last season. The Bulls will also have four additions that sat out last season.

USF bounced back from a 74-61 loss to Elon by defeating Rider 70-65 on Saturday. Geno Thorpe had a game-high 18 points with including six of those coming in the final four minutes.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 71.5 PPG, 39.8% FG, 34.5% 3PT

Defense - 66.5 PGA, 40.7% FGA, 40.0% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.0 PG Team, 40.2 PG Opponents

Notables

After an 0-3 start to the season in Hawaii at the Rainbow Classic, the Owls got their first win Sunday in a 98-64 rout of Edward waters.

Four players were in double-figures for FAU including Frank Booker ( 15), Adonis Filer (17), Jailyn Ingram (16), Nick Rutherford (16), and Gedarius Troutman (12).

Booker and Troutman combined for a 8-of-16 showing from long range, part of which contributed to Florida Atlantic completing a 36-0 run against the Tigers in the second half.

Opening Line

FAU - 3.5

Back to the top

This will be a battle between two teams struggling to find their rhythm so far this season. USF's loss to Elon last week was much more of a blow-out than the score would suggest. Fans in Tampa are upset with the lack of development for the Bulls as Orlando Antigua enters his third year as head coach. The problem is, the majority of the media that follows USF calls this year's team the weakest the Sundome has seen since leaving CUSA. Playing in a tough AAC, Antigua will need to make the most of his opportunities if he wants to remain in Tampa.

The very same could be said about Curry. The team lost some major contributors the last two years, and CUSA isn't getting any easier with the improvements made by Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, UAB, Old Dominion, Charlotte, and Louisiana Tech. Only UTEP seems to be on a downward trend, even with solid core still in tact. So Curry is going to need every win he can get, as his seat gets increasingly warmer.

The last time USF paid a visit to the Burrow, the Owls won in front of a packed house, that ended up celebrating the victory on the court. That was the 2010-2011 season. Crazy to see how much as changed with this program since then. With the team struggling, little excitement on campus, and the Thanksgiving holiday quickly approaching, don't expect the same crowd that we saw in 2010.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Owls start off hot, but struggles from the 3-point range slow the Owls and allows USF to take the lead. At the half way mark of the first half, USF leads 21-14.

Back to the top

Troutman hits 3 straight three-pointers as the Owls STORM back to take control of the game. FAU leads 31-25 with 5 minutes left until halftime.

Back to the top

3:33 left in the half, and USF scores 4 straight to pull within one point.

Back to the top

How about Gerdarius Troutman!? The junior is having himself a day from three-point range, as he hits yet another from deep as the halftime buzzer goes off.

At the half, FAU leads USF 38-34.

Back to the top

Sounds like a great game so far!

Curry keeps this up and he might save his job after all.
Back to the top

Troutman leads ALL scorers with 14 points. Delph is tied with USF's De Silva at 7 boards. Owls are shooting 40% from three-point range after going 0-7 from three-pointers to begin the game. NOT TOO SHABBY!

Back to the top

Both teams are now shooting three-pointers like it's going out of style. With 13:00 left, Owls lead 56-46

Back to the top

Adonis Filer has finally hit his stride! After starting the game 0-4 from the field, Juice hits two straight three-pointers to give FAU the largest lead of the game! With 11:59 left, Owls looking to put the Bulls away 59-46.

Back to the top
Control functions: