Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Butch Davis' Staff Down South at FIU Looking Pretty Good So Far

Add topic

Is this a "what the heck did I just get myself into face", or is it just me?

Anyway, old Butch has gotten himself a pair of 56 year old former head coaches to serve as coordinators.

Brent Guy (Utah State, 9-38 overall) will serve on the defensive side and Dan Hawkins (Boise State, Colorado most notably, 112-61-1) will anchor the offensive side.

While Guy may not light it up record wise he has a ton of experience at the FBS level and Hawkins, aside from Colorado's tough task, had ridiculous success in his two gigs prior.

Bottom line, we are still playing patch-work-quilt with FCS guys and they have one-upped us once again with a celebrity hire and now what seems to be some solid game day shoulders.

Back to the top

WE are getting what we pay for and I guess what we deserve. Like 3-9 or worse FAU Admins? Like 20,000 empty seats admins?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

WE are getting what we pay for and I guess what we deserve. Like 3-9 or worse FAU Admins? Like 20,000 empty seats admins?
Posted On: Nov 21st 2016, 4:34 PM #362747

W. Kentucky and North Texas are paying about 800k a year.
Back to the top

Yeah, a recurring criticism I've seen from people outside the FAU bubble - for instance, our conference peers -  is that we're bad because we're being cheap with our coaches.

FIU realized they were going to have to go bigger to stay competitive. We will have to as well. 
Back to the top

This is why I say we have never been in such a bad place. We have spun our football wheels for so long , we have slipped way behind everyone else. With no fan base. No ticket sales. No post season money. No way of guestimating our income. How can we pay anyone more money. So we keep what we have and slip farther behind. It is a bad business plan. Do you wait to maybe win before spending more money? Or do you spend more money in hopes of winning ?  My wife would kill me if I let my business get into this situation. I truly do not know the answer or in which direction we should go. I only know that if we don't advance, we are failing. And for years now we have failed.
Back to the top

In a nice little bit of morning schadenfreude, Dan Hawkins has already left FIU's staff after a week as their OC. He was just hired at our little sisters of the south, didn't last long. May they continue to have that kind of luck!  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

teambeer said

In a nice little bit of morning schadenfreude, Dan Hawkins has already left FIU's staff after a week as their OC. He was just hired at our little sisters of the south, didn't last long. May they continue to have that kind of luck!  :Big-Grin:

Posted On: Nov 29th 2016, 8:05 AM #363240

To be fair, he is a UC Davis alum.
Back to the top

Oh I know, I really like Hawk and wasn't too pleased when you hired him, he's the sort of guy your alums would love, really funny and engaging. It's crazy how he's been on the market for a while, then once Davis gives him a shot, he's all of a sudden "hireable" again.
Back to the top

Dan Hawkins was a disaster at the University of Colorado and, later, with the Montreal Alloettoes of the Canadian Football League. UC/Davis is a good place for him.
Back to the top

NO! We want him at FIU then! :Laughing:
Back to the top
Control functions: