Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Butch Davis' Staff Down South at FIU Looking Pretty Good So Far

Add topic

But according to FIU fans they are working on their 30 for 30 lol
Back to the top

OwlBroker said

“Guest” does not have access to re-use this attachment.

Posted On: Dec 18th 2016, 9:20 PM #364957

Kevin Beard - Wikipedia
Back to the top

They're excited about their new coach and program, as are we. IIRC this is the first time both schools are rebooting their programs at the same time, meaning the applicant pool was the same and the salary potential was the same and we made our choices. In 3 years we'll know if we each made the right one.

I like that the FIU fans had been asking for Butch Davis since Cristobal was fired and their administration listened to them.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

They're excited about their new coach and program, as are we. IIRC this is the first time both schools are rebooting their programs at the same time, meaning the applicant pool was the same and the salary potential was the same and we made our choices. In 3 years we'll know if we each made the right one.

I like that the FIU fans had been asking for Butch Davis since Cristobal was fired and their administration listened to them.
Posted On: Dec 19th 2016, 10:20 AM #364960

The Butch Davis hire doesn't even compare to ours.

Butch hasn't coached a game in 8 years and even at UNC he finished with and under .500 conference record.
The guy has been doing TV for 8 years and only was hired because he is boys with Garcia not a single other college has wanted his service and that should tell you something.

People can rip on Lane for happen UT and USC but in the end he has pretty good success there.
UT was 5-7 before he go there and had a two game improvement in his 1 season.
He was also 28-15 at USC which by our standards would be a solid run for us and all of this was done when he was in his low to mid 30's usually around the most coaches are getting their 1st assistant jobs after being GA's for years.

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Owl2Doc said

Butch hasn't coached a game in 8 years and even at UNC he finished with and under .500 conference record.
The guy has been doing TV for 8 years and only was hired because he is boys with Garcia not a single other college has wanted his service and that should tell you something.

People can rip on Lane for happen UT and USC but in the end he has pretty good success there.
He was also 28-15 at USC which by our standards would be a solid run for us and all of this was done when he was in his low to mid 30's usually around the most coaches are getting their 1st assistant jobs after being GA's for years.

Posted On: Dec 19th 2016, 2:04 PM #364963

How long ago was 2010?
Back to the top

Jules , you're new here.If OC40 says its been 8 years….its been 8 years. Numbers will not get in the way.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

OwlBroker said

Posted On: Dec 18th 2016, 9:20 PM #364957

Kevin Beard - Wikipedia

Posted On: Dec 18th 2016, 10:03 PM #364958

Hey Jules, just out of curiosity - what's the FIU forum? I'd be really interested to see what the mood is over there compared to here. I might also sign in under a guest account and make snarky comments.
Back to the top

JulesFIU07 said

owlcountry40 said

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Dec 19th 2016, 2:04 PM #364963

How long ago was 2010?
Posted On: Dec 19th 2016, 6:37 PM #364969

I mean 6 years is nothing to Brag about either. Davis could be a good hire, but I could see it going bad as well because of the time he has been away from the game with the lack of success he had at UNC. 
Back to the top

Butch is obviously a tremendous hire for FIU. They probably have a chance at a long time hire with him and he will kick their recruiting up a notch. Kiffin is more of a 'national' coach and will get us more attention in the short term, but we will see how this all plays out. It is refreshing to see both programs do the right things for once and shake things up for the better - will lead to one hell of a rivalry as both programs finally ascend.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I mean 6 years is nothing to Brag about either. Davis could be a good hire, but I could see it going bad as well because of the time he has been away from the game with the lack of success he had at UNC. 

Posted On: Dec 19th 2016, 9:39 PM #364973

I don't know if I would call it a lack of success.  He had a winning record, beat some teams he shouldn't have, and revived a program that had been sub-500 since Mack Brown.  It isn't as if Lane was incredible at UT or USC, save for one season, and those are perennial top teams.

As for being away from the game, he was still involved in breaking down tape and strategizing at Tampa Bay.  So he is effectively four years removed from coaching.  

I view Butch as being in the same boat as O'Leary, the question is can he deliver O'Leary like results?
Back to the top
Control functions: