Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching Search 2016

Island_Owl88 said

It looks like DC Luke Fickel from Ohio State might be the guy according to ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2016, 2:06 PM #363088

Yeah every sports reporter has a guy or list of guys (like we do) to "fill the hole."

Fickell's a "top candidate" because of the Ohio State connection so of course he is. This is why we wanted to get rid of Chun before firing Charlie, to stop this Big 10 nepotism s***. If they announce him as HC tomorrow without thoroughly interviewing other guys I'm going to be p***ed. Let's do this right.
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Island_Owl88 said

It looks like DC Luke Fickel from Ohio State might be the guy according to ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.

F this.  If this is true fire Chun.  I'm sick of Chun and his lame OSU connections. If Fickell was worth anything he would have been gone already.  Get rid of Chun.  Tired of every 1st name on coaching searches coming from OSU.  Quut sending out resumes Chun and do your job Chun and look somewhere other than OSU.  This isn't Ohio, no one here cares about OSU.  

Posted On: Nov 27th 2016, 2:24 PM #363095

I don't think the Luke Fickell thing is serious.
National writers just tweet how takes because they remembered he was a name three years ago.
Fickell also makes like 1.5 million as OSU so…

Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Island_Owl88 said

Yeah every sports reporter has a guy or list of guys (like we do) to "fill the hole."

Fickell's a "top candidate" because of the Ohio State connection so of course he is. This is why we wanted to get rid of Chun before firing Charlie, to stop this Big 10 nepotism s***. If they announce him as HC tomorrow without thoroughly interviewing other guys I'm going to be p***ed. Let's do this right.
Posted On: Nov 27th 2016, 2:27 PM #363096

This job is too big to fill quickly….hopefully this won't be too lengthy a process….we need to save this year's recruiting crop

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Island_Owl88 said

We are going to poo poo the big 10 now? 4 of the top 8 teams in America are in the big 10.  Yeah, we don't want any of that mess   :Smug:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Not that recruiting to Ohio St. is a tough job.
Outside of Alabama, it's the easiest sell in the world right now.

And it always has been. The secret to recruiting that well is twofold:

1. Lots and lots of money.
  2. Reputation as football royalty.

That's the inherent problem in plugging in guys from much bigger programs: they all have culture shock when they get here. Both Pelini and Partridge talked about it.

That's part of the reason I said Applewhite - I'm sure he'll get strong consideration for the Houston job, though I'm reading some want Art Briles to take it - because the jump from Houston to FAU is less than the jump from Ohio State to FAU.

Applewhite's salary is $301k at Houston, best I can tell (2015) so I'm sure he'd be swayed by a $1M contract if we could afford to extend it to him.

Back to the top

fauowl said

Owl2Doc said

Island_Owl88 said

We are going to poo poo the big 10 now? 4 of the top 8 teams in America are in the big 10.  Yeah, we don't want any of that mess   :Smug:
Posted On: Nov 27th 2016, 2:36 PM #363100

:Laughing:

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I disagree with even calling Charlie Strong. He was great at Louisville, but Texas should be the easiest program in the world to win at. More money, your own network, you own the state of Texas, and it's a brand name program. If you can't win there, you can't win at FAU with our limited resources, Find Another University reputation, and sharing the state with UM, UF, and FSU.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Owl2Doc said

Island_Owl88 said

Yeah the Big 10 overrated this year and Sec having a down year is because of Fickell.  My personal opinion is don't want anything to do with him.  If he was such an amazing coach/recruiter then he would have been snatched up years ago. There's a reason his name only shows up in ours and mid level mac schools coaching searches. 
Back to the top

Charlie Strong would be a home run.  He should be at the top of the list.  What happened at Texas isn't an indictment on him as a coach.  We'd be lucky to get him.
Back to the top

fauowl said

I recognize that OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State are all in the Top 10.

But wouldn't you feel better about it if we took a week and interviewed candidates from several FBS conferences rather than reflexively announce that "Chun's buddy from OSU" is our HC tomorrow? If he's the best guy for the job, or another Big 10 guy, so be it, but let's do our due diligence here so we have the best shot at stability in the future. That's all I'm saying.
Back to the top
Control functions: