Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

7 factors to keep in mind for the Florida Atlantic coaching search

fauowls44 said

I don't really feel like Chun's OSU ties play much of a role in this.  He has hired other coaches and it hasn't factored in those decisions.  I don't have a problem with him asking his former colleges for advice (I'd expect him to), and I certainly don't mind him getting Meyers input on hiring coaches. All that said, I still doubt this search ends up with Fickell.  He's perfectly qualified for the job, but from everything we know (or think we know) right now, they'd prefer someone with South Florida ties (not the end all, I know…but it is one of the many factors in play) and someone from the offensive side of the ball (just a rumor, but it would seem to make sense).  Fickell doesn't really check either of those boxes.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 9:00 AM #363315

Candidates that do fit the bill
Jim Leavitt
Tommy Bowden
Eddie Gran
Greg Schiano

Any head coach the owls hire would be nuts to not to try to get Jovan Dewitt as DC.

Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Point/question I was trying to make was why the media's infatuation of Fickell once the position became open.  
Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 10:33 AM #363319

I think it's just low-hanging fruit for a modern day media who do not do a lot of research. If an AD has a past at a college, they can figure that someone there will be on the list.  

The last go round Fickell was first on the list.  There were reports that Pat was in Columbus meeting with Fickell when in actuality he was in Indianapolis at a conference meeting.  

The media doesn't have to be accurate any longer.  You can say anything and no one goes back and reviews it after it is over.  No one dwells on all the wrong info, but when someone is right, they make sure they throw a parade and let everyone know they were right.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Rick said

Did ANYONE have Charlie Partridge in their list last go round?

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 9:51 AM #363316

Nope.  The former writer for the Sentinel stated that he did… but his list was like 50 people long so I wouldn't put much credence into that.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 9:53 AM #363317

Exactly, and that is why I wonder why there are so many articles written about it…

No on had a CLUE last time.

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rick said

Exactly, and that is why I wonder why there are so many articles written about it…

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 11:24 AM #363323

…and last time when the Fickell name fell off the list because Pat didn't actually go to Columbus when reported, the name shifted to Stan Drayton at OSU.  When that name popped up, my business started following him on Twitter.  He followed back, and then the media (not local) reported the next coach was likely Stan Drayton because he started following It's Owl Time on Twitter.  Haha. Then of course, it became Charlie.
Back to the top

Rick said

owlmart said

Rick said

Did ANYONE have Charlie Partridge in their list last go round?

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 9:51 AM #363316

Nope.  The former writer for the Sentinel stated that he did… but his list was like 50 people long so I wouldn't put much credence into that.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 9:53 AM #363317

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 11:24 AM #363323

Hey, you should be happy about the site traffic haha
Back to the top

fauowl said

roscoeowl said

Point/question I was trying to make was why the media's infatuation of Fickell once the position became open.  
Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 10:33 AM #363319

I think it's just low-hanging fruit for a modern day media who do not do a lot of research. If an AD has a past at a college, they can figure that someone there will be on the list.  

The last go round Fickell was first on the list.  There were reports that Pat was in Columbus meeting with Fickell when in actuality he was in Indianapolis at a conference meeting.  

The media doesn't have to be accurate any longer.  You can say anything and no one goes back and reviews it after it is over.  No one dwells on all the wrong info, but when someone is right, they make sure they throw a parade and let everyone know they were right.
Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 11:18 AM #363322

That's the truth. 
Back to the top

owlmart said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 11:42 AM #363325

Honestly, makes no difference to me, get nothing out of site traffic…

No money, no fame, no glory.

Back to the top

Rick said

owlmart said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 11:42 AM #363325

Honestly, makes no difference to me, get nothing out of site traffic…

No money, no fame, no glory.

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 2:47 PM #363336

I get that.  In a way though, I think it means something to all of us who would be sitting at work with nothing to read otherwise.  Anyways, keep fighting the good fight, it's much appreciated.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Posted On: Dec 1st 2016, 11:18 AM #363322

Ain't that the truth.

"Be first or be sorry." Thanks, Twitter.

Back to the top
Control functions: