Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

DONE DEAL: Lane Kiffin to FAU!

Brett McMurphyVerified account
‏@McMurphyESPN
Lane Kiffin’s Alabama salary was $1.4 million. His FAU salary will average in the $1 million range a year sources told @ESPN

FAU and Kelly really stepping up.
Back to the top

Heard the news on the radio this morning and am just now able to respond. Nice job by all the upper administration people and Pat Chun in  particular. FAU needed a move like this. One that was a little shocking. I did not get my hopes up because I felt the finances would get in the way of a hire like Lane. Don't know how they did it but I am glad they found a way. We WILL be bowl eligible next season. We have the players and now a coach that brings that level of confidence to Boca. I know this is big news as I have had a couple college coaches (family members) text me today giving FAU a big pat on the back. Nicely done. As for the kid that de-committed to LTU, it happens. Plenty more out there . Lane's name will give us more credibility. Our level of commits should take a bump up. I also hope he uses his JUCO connections to fill our immediate needs. I am actually excited about FAU football again. Amazing what one move can do to sway emotions .
Back to the top

Would like to see Lane Kiffin succeed at FAU!
Back to the top

Back to the top

Obviously a hire that makes some waves, but I doubt he be at FAU for very long. I think the program will have some success, but I have a hard time getting very excited about the hire.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

If he's only here for a short time, that means we are successful and he'd be leaving the program in much better shape than when he got here.  Do you think WKU regrets hiring Petrino who left after a year?  Or Brohm who left after 3?  They have 3 bowl games and 2 conference championships off of those hires.  You don't know how long any coach will stay…just let it play out and enjoy it.  Everyone can be a winner in this situation.  
Back to the top

+1000
Back to the top

Also, if you want to make sure Kiffin stays around as long as possible, go buy season tickets and fill the stadium. There's no reason that FAU can't become a destination job in time.  The Administration has stepped up…now the fans need to do the same.  
Back to the top

The way I see it is, and I am sure both parties were honest with each other, Kiffin wants back in the Big 5. I have little doubt that Chun is aware of that and Kiffin I'm sure had to be open with Chun. Neither of them are naive.
If Kiffin is gone in two years someone will have to pay off his contract to FAU. Not having seen his contract I am sure the payoff is a large sum. Chun will use that to fund the next coach and his crew. I would even say it is part of Chun's strategy

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Sound like a solid business plan. First Lane needs success on the field. The rest should fall into place. I hope that he is so successful that in two years the big boys are knocking at the door. If that happens , we will still be in good shape. After the presser , our staff needs to recruit hard. Dead period stinks.
Back to the top
Control functions: