Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin's Coaching Staff

WE need a GREAT DC to compliment the O. If you keep Trickett (and bump him up $50K) you can have A LOT for the DC ($250-$400K) and still have plenty for the position Coaches AND hopefully to begin to build a "support staff" to help the entire coaching staff (film study and recruiting help!).
Back to the top

Here's the quote: "Where I am in a different place after being with Coach Saban is seeing how he’s the CEO of everything and seeing how does he do that. A lot of that frees time because he does not call the defense. He knows what’s going on, it’s his defense, but he trains guys to do things. That’s an area I would change from where I was before. I was so focused on X’s and O’s and offensive football, versus managing the entire team. I know I could have done a better job focusing on defense, special teams, the whole university, relationships in the university, versus always being tunnel-visioned on X’s and O’s."
Back to the top

A lot of great coaches call plays.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Here's the quote: "Where I am in a different place after being with Coach Saban is seeing how he’s the CEO of everything and seeing how does he do that. A lot of that frees time because he does not call the defense. He knows what’s going on, it’s his defense, but he trains guys to do things. That’s an area I would change from where I was before. I was so focused on X’s and O’s and offensive football, versus managing the entire team. I know I could have done a better job focusing on defense, special teams, the whole university, relationships in the university, versus always being tunnel-visioned on X’s and O’s."
Posted On: Dec 13th 2016, 9:40 PM #364593

The big difference here is we now have a guy who can do this while performing the check and balance against his staff. We had the same thing in Schnelly for most of his time and it obviously worked out well. Looking forward to seeing much better conglomerate in game management next season. 
Back to the top

Watching college football the past year or so (really the last several), it seems like many schools have become allergic to playing defense. It doesn't seem like FAU is struggling on offense nor do they have a shortage of talent on that side, so I would agree with GeorgiaOwl that a focus of that $1.7M should go towards the best D-coordinator he can find.  Preferably someone with South Florida recruiting ties who high school coaches really like, as the battle for talent FAU targets I think will come down to FAU vs FIU vs USF - all now with name-brand head coaches, but also all with (assumed) new D-coordinators.
Back to the top

Well, FAU's offense has been good in spurts and almost always just in the first half.

I don't know if it's fair to say QB Jason Driskell has plateaued - people like to point to former QB Rusty Smith, who struggled early and went on to become arguably the best FAU QB in history (and honestly the reason I got into the program) - as evidence that it can change. And maybe it's not just time, it's this change in coaching plus time.

We'll see when Kiffin rolls out his offense in 2017. But what emerged from that shakiness at QB is a very strong running game with freshman star Singletary making the case for starter next year.

Defensively we absolutely need to dump our current DC and get someone else. He was buoyed by NFL talent initially but got exposed and the yards given up were absolutely embarassing. This will be a key hire. Jim Leavitt is making $500K at Colorado so we can't hire him here but man, can you imagine?
Back to the top

i say keep trickett for at least one more season but Kiffin is like Paul Chryst at Wisconsin. Chryst is a offensive coach, but calls the plays while his OC makes the adjustments while the offense is off the field while the HC handles the rest of the game. For Defense, i wouldnt mind seeing the Linebackers coach from Penn State who has developed some the best linebackers I have seen in the country this season, or the maybe one of the assistant Defensive Coaches from Bama come on to be DC, which i see as a more probable scenario in this situation.
Back to the top

Roc is definitely gone.  No way we can win games giving 40+ points.  Keep Trickett and Jared Allen.  This will be key to us getting over the hump which was getting wins.  Half time adjustments will also be  essential.  He will see issues fast from the previous regime and fix them immediately.  If defense is tweaked we alone will add 3. Games for sure in the W column.
Back to the top

New strength and conditioning coach. Conditioning/strength was in question last season with the unbelievable number of injuries. Lane takes first step in improving FAU.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

A lot of great coaches call plays.
Posted On: Dec 13th 2016, 9:43 PM #364594

I want him to call the plays, the guy is a genius running O. I fear that he sees this as his last chance as a HC unless he gets it right so he's going to try to do as many successful things he's seen at Bama, here. The other times he's been a HC, he ran the O and look how that turned out.

Doc, I think Driskell will surprise next year. QBs usually aren't very good until their Jr year, it's a really complex and difficult position. Think back to Graham Wilbert…that guy went from the worst qb in America to a pretty decent one in one season. Now, if Johnson transfers in, those boys better watch out, he's the truth.
Back to the top
Control functions: