Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Basketball coaching search thread

Add topic

Rick said

dusky256fc said

I really think we have put all of our eggs in the football basket, because we had no choice, but now we have to make sure this works out.  Are we are just going to replace both bball coaches with the same mediocre caliber?  Maybe that's still better and who knows we might get lucky.  
Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 8:40 AM #367594

It's really not that hard…in fact, we had the chicken already in the coop.

Matt MCall made $232K at UTC this year after getting a RAISE.

We're paying far more than that for the "NBA auroa" that still thinks this is the NBA and has not adjusted one bit to the college level of play.

Chun made two lousy decisions - period. And there is absolutely no accountability there.

His contract is up soon though, so we shall see…riding the ambitious coattails of a successful President while being their mouthpiece at press conferences does not a successful AD make.

Yes, that was harsh, and not in line with my typical posting style, but honestly I blame him for the last three years of abysmal success in both sports (FB and MBB).

Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 9:15 AM #367596

Love it!

Go get'em
Didn't hire the WBB coach as well?

Chun must just be along for he ride at this point.
I would imagine he is being hung onto just to keep stability at this point
Back to the top

Yeah, plus Chun blocked me on Twitter. I still have no idea why.  :Thinking:  :Thinking:  :Thinking:

SO LET'S BREAK OUT OUR PITCHFORKS!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

The AD's track record is not just not good - it is basically awful.

And where are the stadium naming rights and other financial aspects which were SUPPOSED  to be his strong suits to start with. And don't say the student center, (which has not even REALLY broken ground), I think that is ALL Pres. Kelly's doing!
Back to the top

The on field results have been dismal, but the student's athletes success in the classroom is at an all time high.  The academic center was his vision from day one.  Don't assume Chun's doing as bad a job as you think.  Winning has to come soon or he will be gone, but probably not with the next contract.
Back to the top

Rick said

dusky256fc said

I really think we have put all of our eggs in the football basket, because we had no choice, but now we have to make sure this works out.  Are we are just going to replace both bball coaches with the same mediocre caliber?  Maybe that's still better and who knows we might get lucky.  
Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 8:40 AM #367594

It's really not that hard…in fact, we had the chicken already in the coop.

Matt MCall made $232K at UTC this year after getting a RAISE.

We're paying far more than that for the "NBA auroa" that still thinks this is the NBA and has not adjusted one bit to the college level of play.

Chun made two lousy decisions - period. And there is absolutely no accountability there.

His contract is up soon though, so we shall see…riding the ambitious coattails of a successful President while being their mouthpiece at press conferences does not a successful AD make.

Yes, that was harsh, and not in line with my typical posting style, but honestly I blame him for the last three years of abysmal success in both sports (FB and MBB).

Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 9:15 AM #367596

That is not harsh. Just the truth.

I am worried Curry will be around a little longer.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

And where are the stadium naming rights and other financial aspects which were SUPPOSED  to be his strong suits to start with. And don't say the student center, (which has not even REALLY broken ground), I think that is ALL Pres. Kelly's doing!
Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 11:27 AM #367603

That is a very good point. The naming right thing has been a debacle since the stadium has been built. One bad hire and one good hire that didnt pan out for football. As far as the new athletic complex, it is kind of bad when you havent even broken ground even though they have had the architect and construction manager selected for the past couple months.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 11:27 AM #367603
That is a very good point. The naming right thing has been a debacle since the stadium has been built. one bad hire and one good hire that didnt pan out for football. As far as the new athletic complex, it is kind of bad when you havent even broken ground even though they have had the architect and construction manager selected for the past couple months.

Posted On: Mar 8th 2017, 2:39 PM #367612

Marlins Stadium has no naming rights deal.  Indicator that the market is bare.  They said at the "ceremonial" groundbreaking that the construction won't start until July.  Meaning they are finalizing the plans and figuring out what they can get with the money they have.
Back to the top

My feel for the economy is different then you hear on the nightly news. The  market is high. Confidence is high. But the smart people are being very cautious. It is going to be very difficult to find a corporation to lay out the kind of cash needed for naming rights. This is not Chun's fault. I will give ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for LOCAL OWL STADIUM. All that for one whole year of rights.
Back to the top

Just saying that as an indication of what AD's "accomplishments" here are over how many YEARS.
Back to the top

We can start a fire Chun thread somewhere else, but to get this one back on track, I feel like Chun tried to outsmart everyone with his two key sport hires 3 years ago and whiffed big time. 

I could understand the vision with Partridge. The guy had a positive way about him, easy to talk to, no ego to get in the way of him standing in a Brus Room asking people to buy tickets, which is still something we need happening. 

But from the moment we introduced Curry, I didn't get it. I met him that night and thought, "huh, this guy doesn't seem that excited to start a new job" and that dull demeanor has shown through for 3 years. Player development isn't there, recruiting is iffy, and there is zero excitement around the team minus the OSU win this year which was a total trap game fluke (at least we finally won one of those!)

I would be far more comfortable going "up n comer" for a coach and running the risk we lose them after a year. At least we'd get some passion! 
Back to the top
Control functions: