Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Basketball coaching search thread

Add topic

teambeer said

We can start a fire Chun thread somewhere else, but to get this one back on track, I feel like Chun tried to outsmart everyone with his two key sport hires 3 years ago and whiffed big time.

I could understand the vision with Partridge. The guy had a positive way about him, easy to talk to, no ego to get in the way of him standing in a Brus Room asking people to buy tickets, which is still something we need happening.

But from the moment we introduced Curry, I didn't get it. I met him that night and thought, "huh, this guy doesn't seem that excited to start a new job" and that dull demeanor has shown through for 3 years. Player development isn't there, recruiting is iffy, and there is zero excitement around the team minus the OSU win this year which was a total trap game fluke (at least we finally won one of those!)

I would be far more comfortable going "up n comer" for a coach and running the risk we lose them after a year. At least we'd get some passion!
Posted On: Mar 9th 2017, 6:18 AM #367646
Completely agree.  The Partridge hire made sense at the time…he's local, well known in football circles around South Florida, good recruiting history, etc.  Curry never was a logical choice.  He had no connections to the area or any college coaching experience.  He has a solid resume for an NBA assistant coach, but after 3 years at this level, it doesn't appear that he is any closer to turning this program around.

It'll be very interesting to see if he's brought back.  His record says that it's time to move on, but he does have 3 years left on the deal.  Will FAU step up like they did for football program?  That's the question.
Back to the top

At least USF basketball program is a bigger dumpster than us.
Back to the top

I'm with you guys. With no optimism going into it, the conference tournament felt like an obligation rather than an opportunity. Curry hasn't won fans over, attendance is minimal, there is no energy. The recruiting seems decent but that may be because we're excited to get transfers from bigger programs, even though that doesn't necessarily turn them into stars (or even starters, sometimes). The OSU win was awesome but the bright spots are few and far between. Overall not a lot of strong arguments for keeping him.

So… let's talk about the financial side of potentially untangling ourselves from Curry.

HERE is Curry's contract via the Sun Sentinel.

The length is April 2014 to April 2020; in other words, we're halfway into it.

Termination details are on page 9. If I'm reading this correctly, he would have to be terminated without cause (page 10 has different reasons for cause) since I don't think Chun can Pelini his way out of this one (e.g. "neglect of duties").

Termination without cause means giving him notice of termination 48 months (!!!) ahead of time or the remaining time on the contract (here, 36 months). During that time of notice he can be reassigned to a job title like "Special Assistant to the Athletic Director" and still get a salary but not benefits.

That would give us, I believe, a chance to get another coach in here… BUT we'll be paying two coaches. If Curry takes another job, he gets a lump sum severance equal to his salary for 20 weeks (or whatever is left on the notice)

I'm not a contract lawyer so please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Wondering how feasible this is considering we bent over a barrel to bring on Kiffin, we have to negotiate a new women's coach salary as well, and we have the Academic Center that's still not 100% funded.

Getting an up-and-comer would be the way to go because of those financial constraints but again you come back around to the question of whether Chun has the eye to find that guy. Lot of confidence here for McCall but would he be interested in the opportunity, especially if we strung him along before dumping him for Curry?
Back to the top

And also too bad that, in retrospect, the OSU win was not really a biggie, BAD OFF YEAR FOR THEM!

Only 17-15 year for them and just LOST BY 9 to LAST PLACE (14TH!) Rutgers in the first round of the B1G Tourney!

Again guys, WHAT IS OUR STYLE, OUR PERSONA? I see no pattern from the stat numbers except NOBODY has stepped up to be a consistent performer or scorer even though we have NUMEROUS transfers for MAJOR CONFERENCES. Is it the talent or the system, ie….the Coaching or lack thereof?

Like Jarvis, is Curry holding them back TO PLAY his STYLE or are we just not very good. Either way bad news and something NEEDS TO BE DONE!
Back to the top

Well so far, no news on any coaching change.  If one were to happen, I would assume that it would be in the next couple of days.  If not, I guess we are sticking on this same path…
Back to the top

Yeah they didn't waste any time with KLJ on the women's side…
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Well so far, no news on any coaching change.  If one were to happen, I would assume that it would be in the next couple of days.  If not, I guess we are sticking on this same path…

Posted On: Mar 10th 2017, 9:58 AM #367660

I would say their is no need to guess on his status.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Mar 10th 2017, 11:31 AM #367664

Or with Partridge, he was gone within 16 hours of the final 4th quarter horn in Murfreesboro.

On a Sunday no less.
Back to the top

Rick said

Owl2Doc said

Posted On: Mar 10th 2017, 11:31 AM #367664

Or with Partridge, he was gone within 16 hours of the final 4th quarter horn in Murfreesboro.

On a Sunday no less.
Posted On: Mar 10th 2017, 11:48 AM #367666

That's true, but this is slightly more complicated given the years and money left.  I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

That's true, but this is slightly more complicated given the years and money left.
Posted On: Mar 10th 2017, 12:02 PM #367670

Same monetary risk at the time, what am I missing?

Back to the top
Control functions: