Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK THREAD: FAU vs UNCC & ODU February 2nd & 4th, 2017

Add topic

Owls begin difficult road trip in Charlotte.

What: FAU (6-13, 2-6) vs. Charlotte (10-10, 4-5)

When: Thursday, February 2nd @ 7:00 PM

Where Dale F. Halton Arena

Series: The 49ers have a slight 2-1 all-time advantage over FAU

TV: None

Live Video:  WatchESPN *With cable subscription & FREE when on FAU wifi

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Charlotte Team Site Here

Charlotte at a Glance:

Offense - 78.3 PPG, 44% FG, 38% 3PT

Defense - 81.7 PGA, 47% FGA, 38% 3PTA

Rebounding - 32.7 PG Team, 40.7 PG Opponents

Notables

Charlotte is coming off splitting their trip to Denton and Houston. After narrowly beating struggling North Texas, the 'Niners dropped a 14 point game against an upstart Rice squad. Charlotte is 3-1 since the midway point of January, including a gutsy win at home over Old Dominion. 

Guard Jon Davis leads Charlotte in scoring with 19.6 PPG, making him tied with Jon Elmore for best scorer in CUSA. As a team, Charlotte is the third best scoring team in the conference, averaging 78.3 throughout the season. This number has improved to 80.2 PPG since conference play, making the 'Niners the second best scoring team in CUSA during that time period.

Charlotte's offensive numbers are impressive, but are hampered by the team's lackluster defense. Charlotte is second to last in CUSA for scoring defense throughout the season, and dead-last in scoring defense during conference play, giving up 81.7 and 82.1 respectively.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 70.7 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 72.1 PGA, 44% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.0 Team, 39.2 Opponents

Notables

The Owls snapped a four-game losing streak with an impressive victory over rival FIU. Last week's victory in Miami was FAU's first road CUSA win this season, the first road CUSA win in one year and three days (1/23/16 at UTSA), and the first road victory since shocking the nation against Ohio State.

In last week's win, Gerdarius Troutman and Adonis Filer lead the Owls in scoring with 18 a piece. Ronald Delph was one rebound away fro ma double-double as the big man from Winter Haven had 10 points coming off the bench. 

Coach Curry implemented a whole new staring lineup against FIU, with William Pfister replacing Delph at the center position, and Troutman replacing Adonis Filer at the SG position. This resulted in better that average nights for all four players. By all accounts, this starting lineup worked, so expect to see something similar tonight.

Latest Line

Charlotte -7

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Charlotte reminds me of the stereotypical "good shooters, poor defense" type of squad that you grow accustomed to seeing in the middle of the conference table.

Although the 'Niners are 3-2 in conference play, two of those three victories came against a struggling Southern Miss squad and a down-right-awful North Texas team.

FAU has proven to play a bit better on the road so far this conference season. While that could be due to the level of competition at home vs. on the road (WKU, Marshall, UAB, and Middle all being home loses, with FIU being the lone home win in a squeaker vs. close loses to weaker UTSA and UTEP teams, and blowing FIU out on the road), I like this new lineup and the newly instilled confidence the boys have to take Charlotte to the brink.

That all being said, I'd bet on us to beat the spread. While I wouldn't be overly shocked with an FAU win tonight, I wouldn't bet on it.

Most importantly: GO OWLS!

Back to the top

If TWO guys get hot we can win this…if not,  well…  
Back to the top

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

Coach Curry is going with the lineup that worked so well last week in Miami, for tonight's contest at Charlotte.

Back to the top

Well, so much for that fast start. Owls are shooting well, with good off the ball movement. The only problem is that Charlotte's executed their set plays better.

Charlotte's made all of their FGs, but one; in which they get the offensive board and the second chance points.

Charlotte also leads 3 rebounds to FAU's zero.

Back to the top

We're putting hands in their faces, but Charlotte's making EVERY shot.

Back to the top

Charlotte's now made 7-7 from beyond the arch.

Back to the top

It's a game of runs!

Owls warming up while Charlotte's gone ice cold. Owls also bringing the ball down from the glass, with Charlotte's rebound advantage at just 11-10 now.

Back to the top

Charlotte's last place team defense is here...

Back to the top

We hanging around, encouraged by that…

Need a better defensive half in the 2nd though!
Back to the top
Control functions: