Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK THREAD: FAU vs UNCC & ODU February 2nd & 4th, 2017

Add topic

FAU looks to continue road win-streak at Old Dominion

What: FAU (7-13, 3-6) vs. Old Dominion (14-8, 7-3)

When: Saturday, February 4th @ 7:00 PM

Where: Ted Constant Convocation Center

Series: Old Dominion has dominated FAU to a 5-0 series lead, including send the Owls home in the 2016 CUSA Tournament.

TV: None

Live Video:  WatchESPN *With cable subscription & FREE when on FAU wifi

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Old Dominion Team Site Here

Old Dominion at a Glance:

Offense - 63.5 PPG, 40% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 61.0 PGA, 40% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.4 PG Team, 33.0 PG Opponents

Notables

Old Dominion is sitting pretty at third place in the conference standings after a come from behind victory against Florida International on Thursday. Impressive in-conference wins include beating Western Kentucky on the road, and pulling off two close wins against Rice. Boasting an impressive 4-1 record at home, with an average of 6,447 fans a game, "The Ted" is known to be one of the toughest places to play in Conference USA.

As a team, ODU is second to last offensively with 63.5 PPG. Yet, The Monarchs have one of the most dangerous point guards in the conference in Ahmad Caver. While the sophomore is just 20th in the leagure in points per game with 12.9, he is fifth in assists with 107, 4.5 APG. Moreover, Caver's assist to turnover ratio (the best metric to see how strong a point guard is) is the second best in CUSA at 2.4:1.  

Unlike Charlotte, Old Dominion has a very strong defense; the sixth best defense in the nation to be exact. Giving up 61.4 PPG and a 41 FG% puts the Monarchs atop CUSA. Old Dominion also have two of the best rebounders in the league: Denzell Taylor (7.9 RPG) and Brandan Stith (7.7 RPG). If ODU has one weakness defensively, it is along the three-point arch. The Monarchs are ninth in CUSA in 3PT defense, giving up 7 3FG a game.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 71.1 PPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 72.2 PGA, 44% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.2 Team, 39.0 Opponents

Notables

For the first time since joining Conference USA, FAU has won two straight games on the road against conference opponents with impressive wins over Charlotte and rival FIU. This gives the Owls their first conference win streak (home or away) since January of 2016. 

Coach Curry kept his modified lineup from the FIU game with mediocre success in Charlotte. Though unlike in that game in Miami, the Owls' issue of a slow start showed itself again, leading to a 17-point deficit in the first half. It wasn't until closer to halftime where FAU found some consistency, and Charlotte finally started missing contested shots. Due to the slow start against Charlotte, we may see another change in the starters tonight.

Jailyn Ingram had his best game since the conference campaign began with 17 points. The freshman forward averaged 7.5 PPG going into the game against Charlotte.

Expect a heavy three point presence tonight via Gerdarius Troutman (who's currently 20th in the nation in 3FG at 43.5%), Justin Massey (3-6 3PT the last two games), Frank Booker, and Jeantal Cylla.

Latest Line

Old Dominion -11

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Same starting lineup as the FIU and Charlotte victories. This is despite early mass subs against Charlotte as the Owls struggled early.

I say this is the right call. Give this lineup a real test with CUSA's #1 defense.

Back to the top

We don't have to worry about a slow start for FAU, because Old Dominion is joining us. Slow and steady wins the race makes for an ugly basketball game!

Back to the top

Owls are playing ODU PG Ahmad Caver tight, from endline to endline.

Back to the top

Owls have now committed 7 turnovers, which has lead to 8 ODU points.

Back to the top

7 turnovers and ice cold, not a recipe for success.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

During ODU's run, the Owls have converted 1 of their last 5, and 2 of their last 8 FGs.

WAKE UP!!

Back to the top

19 points is FAU's lowest point total going into halftime all season long. We expected a low scoring game with ODU's strong defense, but this is a bit much. Owls are missing too many high percentage shots.

Back to the top

Booker, Ingram, and Delph the only Owls with multiple FGs.

Troutman has yet to attempt a shot in 8 minutes played. only Cylla and Neely have less minutes on the court than Troutman.

Owls shooting an abysmal 32% vs. while the Monarchs are shooting WAY above their average at 45%

FAU needs to do a better job on the boards, as we're losing that battle 20-14.

Owls and Monarchs have 8 turnover a piece, for a combined 16 TOs in the first half. That's more than the 3FGA & FTA combined from both teams.

Long story short; THIS IS UGLY!

Back to the top

dusky256fc said

7 turnovers and ice cold, not a recipe for success.
Posted On: Feb 4th 2017, 7:32 PM #366862

Eh, no.

:Cold:
Back to the top
Control functions: