Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Series Thread: Illinois vs FAU - March 3rd - 5th, 2017

Add topic

After being a college baseball fan for many many year , I have learned a few things. The biggest is that a team will go as far as its pitching staff will take it. Historically, FAU has had 3-5 solid starter. A big time closer. And a handful of mid relievers. So far this season, and I know it is early, I am fearful of having a below average pitching staff. I hope I am wrong. I hope they develop and improve. But what I have seen so far is concerning. My advise if for our guys to concentrate and eliminate the free bases. We are not good enough to win with lots of walks and errors. Just get back to the fundamentals. Baseball is a funny game . I want to see how good we are if we play mistake free ball. We haven't done that yet.
Back to the top

The Owls have taken yesterday's loss as motivation. They open the gamer with three runs in both the first and second innings.

Center fielder Eric Rivera is 2-for-2 so far with a homer and RBI single. Kevin Abraham has an RBI double.

Swan is cruising along with just a hit given up so far.

ILL 0  FAU 6

Top 3rd
Back to the top

Mattis pitches in an RBI single himself to give the Owls another run.

Through three compete Florida Atlantic is up 7-0 over the Illini.
Back to the top

Illinois scratches out a run in the top of the fourth but Sean Labsan connects for his first homer of the 2017 season, a two run shot to right, to give Florida Atlantic a 9-1 advantage.

Nick Swan still on the hill.

ILL 1  FAU 9

Top 5th

Back to the top

Swan is dealing. Five innings, just three hits and a run. Just what the doctor ordered for the beleaguered pen.

The Illini however are on their third hurler of the day.

Bot 5th
Back to the top

Mattis bats twice in the bottom of the fifth, driving in his second and third runs of the game. Frank and Rivera add RBI doubles each to go with another Abraham RBI and the beat down is on.

Through five full innings at FAU Baseball Stadium and it continues to be payback time for the Owls.

Illini now on their fifth pitcher.

ILL 1  FAU 14
Back to the top

Swan completes his 6th inning and is on tap for the win.

Final line: 6IP, 4H, 1R, 2BB, 3K.

Drew Peden now on the hill for the Owls.

Top 7th

ILL 1  FAU 14
Back to the top

Peden and Poore combine to finish the 7th, and the Owl bats are again quiet.

Kyle Marman now on the mound for Florida Atlantic.

Top 8th

ILL 1  FAU 14
Back to the top

After giving up a lead-off double Marman settles in to  deliver two strikeouts and a pop-up.

Bot 8th

ILL 1  FAU 14
Back to the top

Owls aren't done yet. They load the bags with one out and bring two more home.

Blake Sanderson on for the final three outs of the game.

Top 9th

ILL 1  FAU 16

Back to the top
Control functions: