Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 FAU Spring Football

Add topic

dusky256fc said

If anyone believes that Johnson will not be the starting QB against Navy (bar injury of course) you're kidding yourself.  Driskel will be a solid backup and Frank is the future two years from now.

Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 8:25 AM #368358

If he doesn't stop throwing those head scratchers I guarantee he won't be the starter.  He has to take it one play by play then one practice by practice, followed by one game at a time.  Otherwise Driskel will be the starter.  Remember he's the incumbent so he has the advantage.
Back to the top

Nothing is certain said

dusky256fc said

If anyone believes that Johnson will not be the starting QB against Navy (bar injury of course) you're kidding yourself.  Driskel will be a solid backup and Frank is the future two years from now.

If he doesn't stop throwing those head scratchers I guarantee he won't be the starter.  He has to take it one play by play then one practice by practice, followed by one game at a time.  Otherwise Driskel will be the starter.  Remember he's the incumbent so he has the advantage.

Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 9:20 AM #368360

I will take that bet for ANY amount of money.  :Big-Grin:

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Nothing is certain said

dusky256fc said

I should clarify when I say head scratcher sometimes the ball just sputters out of his hands.  I also think it's the product of the system where the QB has to get the ball out so quick getting grip in slightly wet ball or make throw in wind (both practices I went to were windy days) can be difficult.
Driskel who I am a fan of does seem to be getting better, but he as well makes some head scratching throws.
I hope you guys will see it , but DeAndre is a talent unlike FAU has ever had. You see some flashes of stuff that make you just say whoa.

Back to the top

Nothing is certain said

dusky256fc said

I don't think his incumbent status means much in this scenario.  
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Rick said

Notables from Spring Football session 10…

· The Owls moved into red zone work with redshirt sophomore quarterback De’Andre Johnson finding sophomore tight end John Raine for a score and then repeated the same connection.

· Redshirt junior quarterback Jason Driskel found redshirt sophomore receiver LaDante Harris in the end zone.

· Driskel also utilized the ground game, dishing to Clark who found the end zone on two consecutive attempts.

· Driskel then kept the ball for another score.

· Driskel quickly worked down field with four connections to sophomore John Mitchell, redshirt junior Bobby Mitchell, senior Nate Terry and then to redshirt sophomore James Brunson before giving it to Clark for a 10-yard gain on the ground.

· Driskel then completed four more passes in various situations before redshirt senior defensive lineman Haiden Nagel got his hands on the ball for a pass defense.

Posted On: Apr 11th 2017, 7:11 PM #368285

Rick, I hear a lot about Driskel and Johnson… is Steven Frank getting a significant number of snaps while Parr is recovering from surgery?
Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 12:21 AM #368357

It's hard to tell with the LB's because so many are out. I will say the Barnwell kid is a nice find. That might the recruiting story in history.

The safety depth might be the biggest issue because once you get past Jalen and Sorah it's hold onto your hats.

Ocie looks like they slimed him back down and they are starting to work him in a safety which could be a nice move.

Again like I said do not judge the D at all in this game. Just look at the one on one match ups to see who is playing well. We will have 5-6 new starters come September 1st.

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Island_Owl88 said

Rick said

· The Owls moved into red zone work with redshirt sophomore quarterback De’Andre Johnson finding sophomore tight end John Raine for a score and then repeated the same connection.

· Redshirt junior quarterback Jason Driskel found redshirt sophomore receiver LaDante Harris in the end zone.

· Driskel also utilized the ground game, dishing to Clark who found the end zone on two consecutive attempts.

· Driskel quickly worked down field with four connections to sophomore John Mitchell, redshirt junior Bobby Mitchell, senior Nate Terry and then to redshirt sophomore James Brunson before giving it to Clark for a 10-yard gain on the ground.

· Driskel then completed four more passes in various situations before redshirt senior defensive lineman Haiden Nagel got his hands on the ball for a pass defense.

Rick, I hear a lot about Driskel and Johnson… is Steven Frank getting a significant number of snaps while Parr is recovering from surgery?

It's hard to tell with the LB's because so many are out. I will say the Barnwell kid is a nice find. That might the recruiting story in history.

The safety depth might be the biggest issue because once you get past Jalen and Sorah it's hold onto your hats.

Ocie looks like they slimed him back down and they are starting to work him in a safety which could be a nice move.

Again like I said do not judge the D at all in this game. Just look at the one on one match ups to see who is playing well. We will have 5-6 new starters come September 1st.

Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 9:47 AM #368364

So based on this this the offensive should have a big day Saturday and then hopefully the D  settles in come August.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlcountry40 said

Island_Owl88 said

Rick said

Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 9:47 AM #368364

So based on this this the offensive should have a big day Saturday and then hopefully the D  settles in come August.
Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 9:54 AM #368365

Yea, but also remember that they might go light with guys on O
Kalib woods has missed a couple practices so do not expect him to play much if at all.
Also no reason to give Motor or Buddy more than 10 carries each and do not forget the Oline will prob be rocking 2-3 new starters come fall as well.

The best way to watch a spring game is not to focus on the outcomes of plays because it's pretty meaningless.
Every play pick a 1 on 1 match up and just watch that. Watch how certain WR's block on bubble screens.
Watch the DT's leverage on plays. Watch the angles the safeties take.
Back to the top

With all due respect to Driskel, does his incumbent status even matter that much under a new HC and OC?

You would argue for Driskel over, say, an incoming QB out of HS because Driskel has game experience at the speed of college ball. But Johnson was productive as a starter at a very good JUCO, so the game experience is a moot point. They're both hitting the ground running.

Right now it's just a matter of… who is picking up the new system the quickest and being most productive with it?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

With all due respect to Driskel, does his incumbent status even matter that much under a new HC and OC?

You would argue for Driskel over, say, an incoming QB out of HS because Driskel has game experience at the speed of college ball. But Johnson was productive as a starter at a very good JUCO, so the game experience is a moot point. They're both hitting the ground running.

Right now it's just a matter of… who is picking up the new system the quickest and being most productive with it?

Posted On: Apr 18th 2017, 11:34 AM #368367

Well that comment wasn't directed to you since you don't respond to guest.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

So we're just completely writing off Parr now?
Back to the top
Control functions: