Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Orlando Sentinel Countdown: Owls #106

GeorgiaOwl said

"Kiffin needs to recruit the heck out of DL"

We have a stud committed to us now, I just pray he signs and plays still.

he is out late addition to the class Romello Martin from NY State. He had offers from 13 Power 5 schools including, get this; UM, UF, FL. St., South Carolina, Penn St, Tenn., Ol Miss. ( the key piece here) , Neb., Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers and Kansas.

Not bad at all, right guys! And at 6'2" 289 has good size before hitting school. We get him on campus that is a heck of a start! He would be by far the highest rated and in-demand D line recruit here EVER!
Posted On: May 15th 2017, 4:19 PM #368779
Its a good start.

I dont think it is easy.  At the mid-major level the lines are the toughest positions to recruit.  Only so many athletic 275-315 lb people exist.  On the defensive side of the ball, having DT's in place that can control the line makes EVERYBODY else better.  Especially the LB's.  It was overwhelmingly glaring how short we fell in that area last year.

We played 2 freshman DT's that should continue to develop and have an upper classmen back from I believe a broken ankle so the future isn't bleak.  I am just not sure for 2017 we have the necessary pieces in place to see dramatic difference.

I hope I am wrong obviously.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

we beat MTSU for the first time in nine attempts….

I cant believe this is a true statement.  How is that possible?
Posted On: May 16th 2017, 1:52 PM #368800

Weak Coaching and weak recruiting? Double whammy.
Back to the top

walty12 said

GeorgiaOwl said

"Kiffin needs to recruit the heck out of DL"

We have a stud committed to us now, I just pray he signs and plays still.

he is out late addition to the class Romello Martin from NY State. He had offers from 13 Power 5 schools including, get this; UM, UF, FL. St., South Carolina, Penn St, Tenn., Ol Miss. ( the key piece here) , Neb., Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers and Kansas.

Not bad at all, right guys! And at 6'2" 289 has good size before hitting school. We get him on campus that is a heck of a start! He would be by far the highest rated and in-demand D line recruit here EVER!
Posted On: May 15th 2017, 4:19 PM #368779
Its a good start.

I dont think it is easy.  At the mid-major level the lines are the toughest positions to recruit.  Only so many athletic 275-315 lb people exist.  On the defensive side of the ball, having DT's in place that can control the line makes EVERYBODY else better.  Especially the LB's.  It was overwhelmingly glaring how short we fell in that area last year.

We played 2 freshman DT's that should continue to develop and have an upper classmen back from I believe a broken ankle so the future isn't bleak.  I am just not sure for 2017 we have the necessary pieces in place to see dramatic difference.

I hope I am wrong obviously.  
Posted On: May 16th 2017, 1:56 PM #368801

Very true about the amount of QUALITY DT's in HS. Many schools get around this by at least bringing in BIG DT's (320 lb. +). And  I have ALWAYS thought we don't sub the Big men enough or in goal line situations load the D line with BIG OL players. At least take the push on the line negligible and give the LB's chances to make plays. One of the reasons our red Zone D so bad lately! Our undersized D  lines ALWAYS wear down.

But outside of goal line situations many teams now employ 4 DE's and just plain outquick the Big OL's! And rotate a lot to keep them fresh!
Back to the top

I agree with all the point on the number of wins. But I feel like a beat dog when it comes to FAU football. They have disappointed me so many times that I find it difficult to be positive. I am certain that we finally have good coaches. I think I am just gun shy. Hard to believe we could go Bowling this year. I hope everyone is right and I am wrong.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I agree with all the point on the number of wins. But I feel like a beat dog when it comes to FAU football. They have disappointed me so many times that I find it difficult to be positive. I am certain that we finally have good coaches. I think I am just gun shy. Hard to believe we could go Bowling this year. I hope everyone is right and I am wrong.
Posted On: May 16th 2017, 5:09 PM #368805

SHOULD have gone to Bowl game last 2 years but…..we lose games we either should win or even have no business losing! I am optimistic but you are right, we shall see……..
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I agree with Local. It's hard to envision a scenario where we go bowling this year and personally, I am expecting more of the same until the team shows me different. Charlie did NOT recruit as well as many gave him credit for. We are thin at many key positions especially on both sides of the line. DeAndre looks like he's overrated getting outplayed by Driskel and it is going to take time for the Lane Train to pick up steam especially being in the position we are in being the 5th or 6th best option for a recruit in our own state.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Local Owl said

I agree with Local. It's hard to envision a scenario where we go bowling this year and personally, I am expecting more of the same until the team shows me different. Charlie did NOT recruit as well as many gave him credit for. We are thin at many key positions especially on both sides of the line. DeAndre looks like he's overrated getting outplayed by Driskel and it is going to take time for the Lane Train to pick up steam especially being in the position we are in being the 5th or 6th best option for a recruit in our own state.
Posted On: May 16th 2017, 5:33 PM #368807

Recruiting was not Charlie's problem, coaching was.  Yes we have holes to fill but he left some good players as well,  now with a real D1 OC & DC.  

Who do you think Charlie was supposed to recruit to one of the worst programs in the country for many years?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Local Owl said

Posted On: May 16th 2017, 5:33 PM #368807
+1.

That is bascially where I am.  I dont believe we have all of this athletic talent and the coaching was just that awful.  I think it was combination of both bad coaching and mediocre to subpar talent….especially mixed in with the injuries.

Again, this upcoming season try to sell me that we have a talented group at:

Safety
Linebacker
Defensive Line
Healthy Olineman
Wide Reciever
Tight End
Quarterback

You really cant.  We are so thin on defensive talent we are going to have to run schemes to protect against it.  I am stunned by the lack of talent at linebacker.  Stunned.

Owls unveil new defensive package that shifts Williams to safety - Sun Sentinel

I watched the games, aside from Hendrickson…the D Line was ineffective.  Guess who isn't coming back and who is???  The ineffective ones.

I'm not saying there is zero hope.  But you folks that think we are beating Navy… :Smug:

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Ok that isn't scheme because we are not deep it's because we have a lot of good CB's and it's better to bring Williams back there when the CB's drop off wont be that bad.

Safety- It will take my chances with Soarah and Jalen Young and now Ocie who is playing at his natural position. Jevon Burris comes in the fall.
LB-Al is shoe in and Burden would my guess to start but he's going to be pushed by a lot guys like Lyndon, J. Douglas, Evens , B. Clement and Barwell.

WR- Is Kalib is great and Solomon looked dominating in the spring and this two guys are followed by many you guys who were have show flashes of being good WR's.

DL will have three new starters this year.

One thing you are failing to do is understand that many of these guys are going to improve.
The Defense started 3 upperclassmen last year. Our D was basically all sophomores and true freshmen and you can not expect great results with that.  Charlie made a good point once when talking about Trey Hendrickson and coaching him his sophomore year, saying how other then a few sacks he was a liability on D. Trey became great his JR. year and 7-8 of starters become JR's this year and some will look like different football players.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Ok that isn't scheme because we are not deep it's because we have a lot of good CB's and it's better to bring Williams back there when the CB's drop off wont be that bad.

Safety- It will take my chances with Soarah and Jalen Young and now Ocie who is playing at his natural position. Jevon Burris comes in the fall.
LB-Al is shoe in and Burden would my guess to start but he's going to be pushed by a lot guys like Lyndon, J. Douglas, Evens , B. Clement and Barwell.

WR- Is Kalib is great and Solomon looked dominating in the spring and this two guys are followed by many you guys who were have show flashes of being good WR's.

DL will have three new starters this year.

One thing you are failing to do is understand that many of these guys are going to improve.
The Defense started 3 upperclassmen last year. Our D was basically all sophomores and true freshmen and you can not expect great results with that.  Charlie made a good point once when talking about Trey Hendrickson and coaching him his sophomore year, saying how other then a few sacks he was a liability on D. Trey became great his JR. year and 7-8 of starters become JR's this year and some will look like different football players.

Posted On: May 17th 2017, 10:34 AM #368813

Especially with better coaching! Our DC was know for his disruptive attacking style of DL play. We are not Ol Miss but then we are not in the SEC eiither!

Also at safety, Quran Hafiz looked good in spring, he will play a lot!

We won't go from worst to first but even WORST top say 80 would be great, we do have the talent and Coaching to do that. Many scribes are already saying if our D improves even just some we probably go Bowling!
Back to the top
Control functions: