Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

$1.32M!

Add topic

Accreditation said

A sampling of schools accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges:

Ave Maria; Barry; Duke; FAU; FIU; UCF; FSU; UF; FGCU; Furman; Nova SE; Liberty; Texas; Alabama

Just because you disagree with a Christian focused education doesn't make it illegitimate.

Posted On: May 18th 2017, 9:32 AM #368827

Cool they are accredited, but lets use some common sense here having 100k online students where education is based around religion isn't the same as going 4 years at a traditional school. Liberty is a school that will kick two students out for kissing each other, but they hired Baylor's ex AD Ian McCaw who just tried to cover some of the rape allegations. They were also partly founded by a man who said this about Brown Vs. The Board of education ''If Cpt. America Warren and his associates had known God's word and had desired to do the Lord's will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision would never had been made. The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line''

I am really starting to see why they have to pay 1.32 for a home game.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Accreditation said

A sampling of schools accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges:

Ave Maria; Barry; Duke; FAU; FIU; UCF; FSU; UF; FGCU; Furman; Nova SE; Liberty; Texas; Alabama

Just because you disagree with a Christian focused education doesn't make it illegitimate.
Posted On: May 18th 2017, 9:32 AM #368827

Cool they are accredited, but lets use some common sense here having 100k online students where education is based around religion isn't the same as going 4 years at a traditional school. Liberty is a school that will kick two students out for kissing each other, but they hired Baylor's ex AD Ian McCaw who just tried to cover some of the rape allegations. They were also partly founded by a man who said this about Brown Vs. The Board of education ''If Cpt. America Warren and his associates had known God's word and had desired to do the Lord's will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision would never had been made. The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line''

I am really starting to see why they have to pay 1.32 for a home game.
Posted On: May 18th 2017, 10:16 AM #368830

I guess the "reason" for paying so much to a CUSA program was their late "approval" to move up from FCS and their difficulties in lining up opponents as an independent. Again, congrats to the ODU AD, easy HUGE payday, the win may not as easy but probably. Being to close, I wonder how many tickets Liberty had to make available to ODU for it's fans. It is only 160 miles as the crow flies from campus to campus (a bit more by road though!).
Back to the top

A couple thoughts:

- FAU has 23% online enrollment, Liberty has 78% online enrollment. Basically we're polar opposites: we're mostly in-class, they're mostly out-of-class.

- To a common person, especially because Liberty's enrollment is 110k students, this suggests illegitimacy. That's what happens when you use essentially the same model as diploma mills that have been shutdown.

- However the true standard is the SACS accreditation, which both FAU and Liberty have achieved. I'd post the link to their standards PDF but you and I both know you're not really going to look at it.

- Liberty is classified as a nonprofit so they're supposed to put the revenues back into the educational experience and not pay out huge dividends or ungodly salaries to employees but I don't know how much legal wiggle-room they have there. Liberty Chancellor, Jerry Falwell Jr, makes over $800K per year which is twice what President Kelly makes.

- Skimming over a handful of articles on the subject it appears that there's no clear consensus on whether in-class vs purely-online is better. When controlling for factors, student performance and satisfaction seem roughly equivalent. More research needs to be done.

- If that's the case, why doesn't everybody just "attend" an online school with legitimate professors, prerecorded lectures, online office hours and proctored exam sites? Why are we spending so much money on lecture halls and dorm rooms? Probably because we already have before online classes became a reality.

- You still need research facilities so you couldn't do away with college campuses altogether, even if you found there was no difference in outcomes.

- It's funny because the traditional thinking is that smaller class sizes with more individualized attention to keep students engaged and catch them before they fall, not after, is considered to be best - that's why we do it at the Honors College in Jupiter. And the huge online impersonal model seems the exact opposite of that.

- The Christian aspect is non-contributory to the online enrollment argument here.
Back to the top
Control functions: