Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU @ Wisconsin Game Thread - September 9, 2017

Add topic

What are your thoughts about the Wisconsin game, based upon what we saw during the Navy game?

I liked seeing the no huddle, quick strike offense.  Looks like Briles brought that with him from Baylor.  I also noticed the stacked wide receiver formation, which I saw at Baylor as well.  Would think this would continue against Wisconsin - try to gain an advantage against the bigger athletes and the deeper bench.

I'd imagine we'd run the ball more - possibly using the Nick Saban/Steve Spurrier method of running half back draws and screens to slow down Wisconsin's pass rush.

Coach Kiffin has stated the Navy game was an outlier for the defense, and I'd have to take him at his word.  Didn't look like we played the pass much (rarely single or two deep safeties, mainly 9 in the box) as we focused on stopping the run exclusively.

Wisconsin is known for their running abilities.  Need to sub defensive players out often to keep them fresh.  Time to see if those 4th quarter preparations pay off!

Back to the top

"as we focused on stopping the run exclusively."

Well THAT didn't work out too well did it!

I personally expect more of the same this game. I am just hoping for no major injuries. I did not hear of any from the Navy game. Any other info on this MOST IMPORTANT FRONT - SURVIVE THE FIRST 2 GAMES!
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Badgers?

We don't need no stinking Badgers.

Posted On: Sep 3rd 2017, 6:04 PM #370577

The Wisconsin run game is not option based the way Navy's is.  Even if the Badgers are well ahead, I expect us to pass more than ten times.

I wish I could link a "visit Madison" thread, but both Wisconsin boards have been "upgraded" recently and those threads lost. You can go to the Buckyville tailgating board and ask questions:
Tailgating - Buckyville

I do recommend making the farmers' market on the Square Saturday morning (really early since the game starts at 11AM local time) and Walking State Street after the game.

Last year Wisconsin struggled to put away Georgia State. I'm alway leery when Wisconsin is favored by so much.

Safe travels to those making the trip.
Back to the top

teambeer said

You won't want video of this game
Posted On: Sep 4th 2017, 9:53 AM #370597

Lol. Who has the big ten network? Lol. Nobody wants to watch that garbage fb…

D-Truth 4 Heisman
Back to the top

The defense doesn't practice tackling… but you guys probably already knew that.

D-Truth 4 Heisman
Back to the top

Full contact in practice is all fun and games until people get hurt.

Again I am not judging the D based off the triple option.

You guys watched UT give up over 500 yards on the ground and they are way more talented than GT.

Our strength is our DB's guys like Herb who I think will have big years didn't even play really against Navy.
Back to the top

Thoughts on the Wisky game….

1.  I have zero idea how we plan to stop thier rushing attack.  

2.  We need to take some of the pressure off the QB situation and find a running game.  Please tell me Woods is practicing snapping the ball every day, all week…

3.  No injuries - this is preseason to us.  Our 10 game season starts with Betune Cookman.

I will watch the game because I'm a glutton for punishment and always do…but I dont expect us to even be competitive in this one.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Wisconsin looked very shaky in the first half of the Utah State game… and the Utah State QB made a lot of mistakes and threw for 3 INTs in the second half. If we can attack Wisconsin's QB like Utah state did in the first half, limit our mistakes and our defense somehow holds the run game, we might be in good shape. And by good shape I mean we beat the spread by half the points.
Back to the top

Competitive with NO majors injuries would be a win to me. REAL season begins week 3 - GO OWLS! We get Woods and Solomon back up to speed with McNeal, Franklin, Bussy, and Wright we REALLY STRETCH a D and open up LOTS of space for RB's and TE's too!
Back to the top

NavyOwl16 said

Wisconsin looked very shaky in the first half of the Utah State game… and the Utah State QB made a lot of mistakes and threw for 3 INTs in the second half. If we can attack Wisconsin's QB like Utah state did in the first half, limit our mistakes and our defense somehow holds the run game, we might be in good shape. And by good shape I mean we beat the spread by half the points.

Posted On: Sep 5th 2017, 10:34 AM #370637

Well, it was really only the first quarter.  In the 2nd quarter Wisconsin:

Outscored Utah State 10-0
Held the ball for 12 minutes
Allowed one first down
Outgained the Aggies 119-15
Back to the top
Control functions: