Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mid-Season Grades and rest of the way predictions

Alright Owl Fans, here we are the midway point of the season and Lane Kiffin and the coaching staff has our Owls Football team sitting at 3-3, 2-0 in conference play. Who would have thought we be sitting here at 3-3 at this point in the season after the start we had, but congrats to the staff and players for doing a great job of staying focused and getting the job done. Now since the team is on a bye this week, it would be a good time to give out some mid-season grades on what I have observed so far.

Coaching Staff: A 
Lane Kiffin and his staff coming in late last year and assembling the class they did was nothing short of a mircale, but going through this roster and bringing in critically needed players and really changing the culture of this team has bore fruit. Now after a few stumbles, namely Navy, and Buffalo this coaching staff is proving to the conference and the nation it is not a fluke or stopping point here in Boca Raton. You can tell in the preparation leading up to the games and the in game changes as well. Games in which FAU would have blown last season in the second half are different, and the offense, defense and special team is firing on all cylinders with the toughest part of the schedule coming up after the bye. So Bravo Zulu to Coach Kiffin and his staff for doing a great job, and the results are showing off. That is why the staff has earned the A.

Offense: B
The Offense at this point in the season has earned a grade of a B. Kendall Briles and offensive staff has done a great job with the offense, and a healthy offensive line is providing those running lanes and passing lanes for our QB and RB's. However key drops in the Buffalo game, and poor play versus Navy has hurt the grade here.  While Driskell has probably cemented the starting job for the rest of the way, I am still not sold on him. He still has not shown he can hit the deep ball yet, and still has some tendencies to hang a little too long in the pocket. Motor Singletary and Buddy Howell are racking up huge numbers, but can they hold up through the toughest part of the schedule coming up. Overall Offense has earned a B. That could go to high as a A by season's end, but we will see.

Defense: B+
The defense at this point has earned a B+ for their play in the season. The Navy and Buffalo game has hurt their grade here. Poor tackling and missed assignments didn't help in those two losses, as well as poor penalties and other mental mistakes. However they are playing at a aggressive level and the Chris Kiffin and his staff are making those adjustments at the break to help this team close out games. Yet like the offense, the toughest part of the schedule is coming up. This is impact the season's final grade but great job by the defense so far this season. 

Special Teams: A-
Really no surprise here. Special Teams has been pretty much steady all season long for this team. Greg Joseph is the leading scorer in FAU history, and our punter Ryan Rickle, who has a tough job replacing Dalton Schomp, has pretty much flipped the field numerous times for our defense. Yet what has hurt the grade here was miscues on the field goal team allowing for a blocked field goal and extra points. only minor mental mistakes on this side of the ball. Great job by the coaching staff here, but they do need some cleaning up on assignments over the course of the break.

Now here is a look at the rest of the schedule coming down the way. The next four games are probably the toughest part of the schedule coming up for us, so we will see what this team is made off as we come off the bye. 

North Texas: While North Texas is improved it self over the past couple years, they are still a very tough opponet as they come into Boca Raton on the 21st for Homecoming for FAU, where we will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Motor City Bowl Championship team. Look for a little rust coming out of the bye, but I think defensively we will bend and not break while offensively we should put up good numbers against this team. I think FAU wins this one. 45-20 FAU

Western Kentucky: Despite Jake Brohm being gone, the Hilltoppers are still a tough opponent for FAU upcoming. They still have some decent weapons in a receiving corps along with strong running backs. Their weakness is probably their defense. This is a pickem game for those that are betting on this one, but I believe FAU is better on the offense and defensive side of the ball. FAU should win this one, but it could also be a heart-breaker. 28-27 FAU

Marshall: 
Marshall last season was dealt a bad hand last season when they were racked with injuries, but those players are back and healthy and Marshall is showing its form once again. They have a strong running and passing attack, and their defense is just as good as well. FAU will have a tough time stopping the Herd, and it will all come down to who has the ball last. FAU loses this one. 35-21 Marshall

Louisiana Tech: Louisiana Tech is team to beat in the Western Division of CUSA. They are well coached and disciplied on both sides of the ball. If not for a blocked field goal last night they would be unbeaten in Conference play. They pass and run the ball extremely well, and their defense is just as aggressive as FAU's. Look for FAU to have a tough time against LA Tech here. 38-27 LA Tech

FIU: 
The Shula Bowl of 2017 comes back to Boca Raton and FAU Stadium. Look for FAU to come out firing after last years embarrassment in the Shula Bowl. While Butch Davis has the puddy tat's (congrats who ever got the loonies tunes reference) at 3-2, they have faced the weaker side of the Conference and non conference play so far. Yet they do have some weapons offensively at FIU, but we are better overall as a team. FAU routes the Puddy Tat's from that school down south. 45-10 FAU

Charlotte: Charlotte last year improved its record to 4-8 but that was last year. This year is they have zero wins so far in 2017. Look for FAU to close out the season with a thumping of the 49ers of Charlotte. 49-7 FAU

FAU could very well end the season 9-3 or 8-4, and be in the hunt to play in or host the Conference USA title game this year. But the stretch of next four games will show what this team is truly made off. So lets fill up the stadium for the remaining games and hang out for all four quarters. Keep them rolling Coach Kiffin. Go Owls. 
Back to the top

Success is due to a lot of things but #1 is undoubtedly the coaching staff which, if things shake out as 8-9 wins, will unfortunately get picked off in the offseason. Love the success and it's premature to talk about at only 3 wins and halfway through the season, but I would be surprised if we can retain Kiffin and Briles into next season.

As far as players, having a consistent O-line has been huge. Unsung hero: TE Harrison Bryant, who has been having a great year when some other expected stars - McNeal and Wright - are not having as much of an impact. A lot of much deserved spotlight on Singletary, recently recognized as #8 RB in country, and Howell, but when they go to the air, Harrison has been our man.

North Texas sits atop the West right now so if we could soundly defeat them that would definitely send a message to the rest of the conference. 

There's a very real possibility of 3 more wins and a bowl game here.

And Shula Bowl should be fun this year. Granted FIU always plays better than their record in this game but… I think we're going to run very well against them.
Back to the top

Biggest plus..Coaching. Not just head coaches. Position coaches are doing a great job. O Line has had a healthy six games and that is huge compared to last season. The RBs have thrived due to the lines efforts. Our D, I still only give a C,maybe a C+. The line needs to be a little more effective vs the run. Same with LBs. Our DBs are flat out playing great. Over all grades O…B+ (no passing game) . D…C
Back to the top

We should be favored in each remaining game from here out aside from WKU and La Tech.

Coaching B+ (develop the quarterback position better too much staff talent not to)
Offense B (spectacular run game, but could be much better with a passing game)
Defense B- (still can't stop the run well at all)
Special Teams B+ (last night's gaffs took it down a measure)

See us anywhere from 3-3 with mediocre play to 5-1 with outstanding play. Likely finish is 4-2.

UNT - Owls *
WKU - Tops *
MAR - Owls **
La Tech - Even
FIU - Owls ***
CHA - Owls ****

7-5 and we are probably going to end up in St Pete or the Bahamas.

Back to the top

Yeah LaVicka pointed out that CBS projects us in St Pete Bowl vs SMU.

Also sees 5 other CUSA teams bowling including IIRC (just closed the tab) WKU, MTSU, La Tech, North Texas, Marshall. That'd be good for the conference, obviously.
Back to the top

Rick said

We should be favored in each remaining game from here out aside from WKU and La Tech.

Coaching B+ (develop the quarterback position better too much staff talent not to)
Offense B (spectacular run game, but could be much better with a passing game)
Defense B- (still can't stop the run well at all)
Special Teams B+ (last night's gaffs took it down a measure)

See us anywhere from 3-3 with mediocre play to 5-1 with outstanding play. Likely finish is 4-2.

UNT - Owls *
WKU - Tops *
MAR - Owls **
La Tech - Even
FIU - Owls ***
CHA - Owls ****

7-5 and we are probably going to end up in St Pete or the Bahamas.

Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 2:23 PM #371755

I don’t see western as one of our tougher games at this point. I do not think the coaching is anywhere near where it has been the past few years and it shows 
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

…CBS projects us in St Pete Bowl vs SMU.
Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 2:47 PM #371756

I don't put stock in any large media outlets anymore, they usually know nothing about us…card readers.

Folks on this forum know far more about this team and could serve as more qualified analysts.

Back to the top

Rick said

Owl2Doc said

…CBS projects us in St Pete Bowl vs SMU.
Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 2:47 PM #371756

I don't put stock in any large media outlets anymore, they usually know nothing about us…card readers.

Folks on this forum know far more about this team and could serve as more qualified analysts.

Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 3:51 PM #371760

Yeah I mean we only have 3 wins so far and the list will change 6-7 times before it settles on the final teams so in a sense it doesn't matter.

But still exciting to think about after the last, uh, 8 years.

Back to the top

OK. We're three and three. We are all happy. Now, what on Earth are we going to do about our passing game. Reality check, Jason still is a poor passer. I don't think we can continue with a just run offense. Parr had the better arm. But the coaching staff are in charge.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

OK. We're three and three. We are all happy. Now, what on Earth are we going to do about our passing game. Reality check, Jason still is a poor passer. I don't think we can continue with a just run offense. Parr had the better arm. But the coaching staff are in charge.
Posted On: Oct 8th 2017, 6:18 PM #371766

Yeah but I think the coaches at this point have earned the trust the best qb will be in there to run the offense. And honestly plenty of teams in college run spread attacks that is run first and often. But I don’t disagree the passing game needs to improve to keep some balance. 
Back to the top
Control functions: