Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football in the Polls

78 teams needs, I know they are hoping to NOT go the 5-7 route again this year!
Back to the top

Just an editorial note, but 60% of all D-I teams make bowl games (78 of 130).  And actually, I thought there were now 40 or 41 bowl games???  I know this hurts a little, but you really have to be pretty bad to not be in a bowl now because they have so many.  Luckily we are roaring in with possibly 10-wins, but to celebrate a a 6-6 record and a bowl game (where if you lose you end up with a losing record) seems kind of asinine to me.  I know the Owls would have gladly taken that in the last 3 years, but seems like a celebration of mediocrity to me. 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Just an editorial note, but 60% of all D-I teams make bowl games (78 of 130).  And actually, I thought there were now 40 or 41 bowl games???  I know this hurts a little, but you really have to be pretty bad to not be in a bowl now because they have so many.  Luckily we are roaring in with possibly 10-wins, but to celebrate a a 6-6 record and a bowl game (where if you lose you end up with a losing record) seems kind of asinine to me.  I know the Owls would have gladly taken that in the last 3 years, but seems like a celebration of mediocrity to me. 
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 7:25 AM #374232

If you don’t like 6/6 bowl games, don’t watch them.  I enjoy them bowl season and enjoy some of the lower ranked teams because they are excited to be there and play much harder than many of the 8/4 & 9/3 teams.  It’s big for the players, especially the seniors and isn’t that what the game really is supposed to be about?  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

78 teams needs, I know they are hoping to NOT go the 5-7 route again this year!
Posted On: Nov 26th 2017, 12:52 PM #374172

I read that there are enough 6-6 teams that 5-7 teams will not get a shot this year.
Back to the top

@dusky - not starting the argument about the value or the excitement.  I totally get it and agree - had we gone 6-6 or 7-5 and got in a bowl the players and the fans would still be very excited.  I am all for the extra practices and what it means to the G5-type programs for exposure.  I am just saying it used to be getting to a bowl was the reward for a very good season and now it is all marketing and money and there probably are too many bowls and too many undeserving teams.  I love football, and watch pretty much any game that is on TV,  but here are the details from last season's bowl match-ups:
  • "A total of 41 team-competitive postseason games were played, including the national championship game. To fill the 80 available bowl slots, a record 20 teams (25% of all participants) with non-winning seasons participated in bowl games—17 had a .500 (6-6) season, and three sub-.500 (one 6-7 and two 5-7) teams were required. For example, none of the six teams that played in bowls on December 26 had a winning record. This was the seventh time in the past nine years that teams with losing records have participated in bowl games."
FSU rescheduled their game against ULM strictly to give them the chance to get to 6-6, and a significant bowl is going to scoop them up because of the name.  I'd much rather somebody like FAU get the "better" bowl game rather than the Seminoles, but bowls are about the commercialization of the sport more than they are about rewarding deserving teams - otherwise we wouldn't be hoping for something better than the St. Pete bowl.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

@dusky - not starting the argument about the value or the excitement.  I totally get it and agree - had we gone 6-6 or 7-5 and got in a bowl the players and the fans would still be very excited.  I am all for the extra practices and what it means to the G5-type programs for exposure.  I am just saying it used to be getting to a bowl was the reward for a very good season and now it is all marketing and money and there probably are too many bowls and too many undeserving teams.  I love football, and watch pretty much any game that is on TV,  but here are the details from last season's bowl match-ups:
  • "A total of 41 team-competitive postseason games were played, including the national championship game. To fill the 80 available bowl slots, a record 20 teams (25% of all participants) with non-winning seasons participated in bowl games—17 had a .500 (6-6) season, and three sub-.500 (one 6-7 and two 5-7) teams were required. For example, none of the six teams that played in bowls on December 26 had a winning record. This was the seventh time in the past nine years that teams with losing records have participated in bowl games."
FSU rescheduled their game against ULM strictly to give them the chance to get to 6-6, and a significant bowl is going to scoop them up because of the name.  I'd much rather somebody like FAU get the "better" bowl game rather than the Seminoles, but bowls are about the commercialization of the sport more than they are about rewarding deserving teams - otherwise we wouldn't be hoping for something better than the St. Pete bowl.

Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 11:25 AM #374247

Draw the line at 6/6 and I agree with you but I don’t understand why people get all worked up about, don’t like it don’t watch.  

As far as the FSU comment is concerned not sure why it matters if they are rescheduling a game they lost because of a hurricane.  If they played the game when scheduled they would have six wins and going to a bowl so what’s the difference?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Not sure FSU would have rescheduled the game if they already had 6 wins and didn't need it to get bowl eligible - that was what I meant.
Back to the top

As of 10/26, FAU is now receiving 7 votes in the Coaches Poll.

And for the first time in history, the Owls are now receiving votes in the AP Poll:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Sadly, EVERYTHING I look at as far as the AP Poll shows F…ING FLORIDA also receiving votes - not FAU!

Damn, is anyone is voting for Florida this year - take their vote away for life - AND SHOOT EM!

We can't even catch a break on this great achievement for the team! But better to now be confused with UF AND NOT F…ING FIU!!!!!! :Laughing:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Sadly, EVERYTHING I look at as far as the AP Poll shows F…ING FLORIDA also receiving votes - not FAU!

Damn, is anyone is voting for Florida this year - take their vote away for life - AND SHOOT EM!

We can't even catch a break on this great achievement for the team! But better to now be confused with UF AND NOT F…ING FIU!!!!!! :Laughing:
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 2:23 PM #374267

Yep, that was weird!

The AP has since fixed the mistake.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top
Control functions: