Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bowl Projections November 26, 2017

DeltAlumnus said

I did see a projection from the Sporting News today to go to the Birmingham Bowl against Memphis. Big Pay out and good matchup
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 12:15 PM #374255

I would rather not play Memphs - their offense is scary good…

Not the best match up for us.

BUT

There are 1.95 million reasons why it would be good as well…

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

what ever bowl game we go to, the main story will be Coach Kiffin and the turn around he gave the program the rumor mill about possible destinations. Wish we could go, but can't afford the travel cost nor the time off.
Back to the top

Rick said

DeltAlumnus said

I did see a projection from the Sporting News today to go to the Birmingham Bowl against Memphis. Big Pay out and good matchup
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 12:15 PM #374255

I would rather not play Memphs - their offense is scary good…

Not the best match up for us.

BUT

There are 1.95 million reasons why it would be good as well…

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: Nov 27th 2017, 12:26 PM #374257

Like USF, their D is not great so A LOT OF POINTS WOULD BE SCORED! I mostly DON'T WANT TO FACE SD ST. AND PENNY - THAT could get ugly!!!
Back to the top

Brett Mcmurphy gave this update to bowls tonight. He is actually coming with knowledge and not making blind predictions.

"Florida State is pushing to get into the Gasparilla Bowl in St. Petersburg. The Seminoles technically would have to be bypassed by every ACC bowl to be available for a non-ACC bowl. But I’m told FSU is lobbying to play in St. Pete. If FSU is not successful getting to St. Pete, the Seminoles would probably end up in the Independence Bowl. If FSU gets to St. Pete, it’s unknown if they would play the American rep (USF) or C-USA rep (FAU). This one could get interesting."
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Brett Mcmurphy gave this update to bowls tonight. He is actually coming with knowledge and not making blind predictions.

"Florida State is pushing to get into the Gasparilla Bowl in St. Petersburg. The Seminoles technically would have to be bypassed by every ACC bowl to be available for a non-ACC bowl. But I’m told FSU is lobbying to play in St. Pete. If FSU is not successful getting to St. Pete, the Seminoles would probably end up in the Independence Bowl. If FSU gets to St. Pete, it’s unknown if they would play the American rep (USF) or C-USA rep (FAU). This one could get interesting."
Posted On: Nov 29th 2017, 9:46 PM #374381

That makes no sense, I think he’s talking about the Jax Tax Slayer Bowl.  That is the one FSU has had talks with already from what I have read and makes a lot more sense.  Why would FSU lobby for a non ACC Lower tier Bowl?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I definitely could see FSU lobbying to stay in-state versus the Independence Bowl - that just makes sense, as it allows your fans to more easily see you play, makes for an easier trip on the team, and probably pits them against a team they think they will have an easier time with.  It is hard to follow the tie-ins and pecking order of the ACC bowls, but ***maybe*** the Taxslayer gets to pick somebody they deem "higher" than FSU this year and the St. Pete bowl is where FSU is pushing for to avoid going to Shreveport???  FSU is not like FAU, and they don't necessarily need to pick the "bigger" bowl primarily for the payout given their finances and brand recognition.

I agree that seems like somewhere FSU might fall to versus them pushing for it.  Regardless, I'd love for FAU to end up in a bowl against either USF or the Noles.  But if this is true, do we get to pick that bowl game as no worse than CUSA #2, or is there the possibility FSU and USF could finagle this in a way to put them against each other and leave us out?
Back to the top

I would really be surprised that THIS YEAR, FSU would want to play USF, NOT a good match up for the Noles IMHO!
Back to the top

I do not want to play FSU for so many reasons.

Playing an FSU team with an interim head coach and back up QB that is a mess wouldn't gain any respect. FSU players would not care about playing in this game and many of the guys that have draft potential would not play like Derwin James. PLaying a broken sad FSU team is not my idea of fun.

If the game is played in Louisiana many FAU would not travel. It wouldn't look good on TV seeing 500 FAU fans on TV in 45 degrees playing an FSU team where the whole time the announcers are just talking about how new coach X is going to turn the program around.

Playing USF would be fun because they have exciting players, are in the AP top 25, and a win over them would gain more respect nationally after many college football fans saw them play vs UCF.
Back to the top

Part of me wants a cupcake, perhaps in the Boca Raton Bowl. I think getting these two wins is incredibly important no matter who the bowl opponent is, as we're preseason Top 25 if that happens. But I really want FSU pretty badly. With the possibility of an interim coach and the fact they're so down this year, they're ready to be had. It would be such a sweet 2nd power five win. And next year we should be better than them too.
Back to the top

I saw the first bowl projection of the day by Stewart Mandel.  He has us playing Duke in the Gasparilla Bowl.

Yikes…I'm hoping he's way off but Mandel totally embodies college football.  Really hoping for a higher ranked opponent.
Back to the top
Control functions: