Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Looking to Next Season, Oklahoma, others...

owlsdad said

Assuming Parr stays he is a possible 4th-stringer who started the first few games for us this year.  You have to love competition at that spot.
Posted On: Dec 21st 2017, 9:43 PM #375816

I can't imagine Parr sticks around unless he decides he doesn't mind not playing. We will need to watch who transfers out. As we noticed in the fall before the season Lane was not shy about pulling scholarships or strongly suggesting to guys to transfer
Back to the top

New transfer. Ex Boca High School QB and small college transfer Philip Santiago is said to be walking on. Surprisingly talented for a kid that was under recruited locally. Pretty sure he is already enrolled. And as stated above,non scholarship.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I can't imagine Parr sticks around unless he decides he doesn't mind not playing.

I'd be surprised if he is here next season. Last year when Driskel struggled it was a "grass is always greener" situation where we wanted Parr based upon his recruiting hype.

But Driskel has clearly corrected everything we dogged him for early in the year - his throws were on point, he didn't throw many interceptions, he made smart decisions and he got us first downs with his legs when we needed them.

That game manager aspect based upon 12 games of experience is where Driskel is a mile ahead of Parr and it would probably take an entire year of Parr starting to catch up.

Not to mention Robison and potentially DeAndre (if he ever makes it back) to compete with.

Not saying Parr is bad or it's impossible. Just feel the kid would have a better shot somewhere else and not spend another year watching from the sidelines. This year it made sense because we were one Driskel injury away from being back to Parr. Next year it could be 2 or 3.
Back to the top

Parr just tweeted out he is transferring 
Back to the top

I don't think Driskel "corrected everything". He still stares down receivers ,etc. He looked good this season because we now have an OC that knows how to expose strengths and hide weaknesses. Granted, Jason did an outstanding job this season. But I give a lot of credit to Briles and Kiffen.  Daniel Parr is a great kid and a very good QB. He is in the wrong situation and will find a place to shine. FIU sure as heck could have used him last night.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Parr just tweeted out he is transferring 
Posted On: Dec 22nd 2017, 4:45 PM #375853

Yep. There it is.

To Duquesne U in Pittsburgh.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I don't think Driskel "corrected everything". He still stares down receivers ,etc. He looked good this season because we now have an OC that knows how to expose strengths and hide weaknesses. Granted, Jason did an outstanding job this season. But I give a lot of credit to Briles and Kiffen.  Daniel Parr is a great kid and a very good QB. He is in the wrong situation and will find a place to shine. FIU sure as heck could have used him last night.
Posted On: Dec 22nd 2017, 5:40 PM #375854

You can say all you want about Driskel passing, but he has shown time and again he can make all the throws.
He also does what no one else sees's the biggest frustration that the coaches had with Parr is he did not get us un the plays etc.

When it's 3rd and 5 and we are hurrying to the line in this O is the QB's job to make sure the right call is in and everyone is lined up so we can quickly snap it and Motor can run for 9 yards.

One thing I have realized about Driskle every time we count him out he plays his way back.
We are already saying Robinson will be the starter, but I don't want to count out Driskel.

Back to the top

As far as next year, it's not completely insane anymore to think we can win 13-14 games next season. Between the hash marks we have 6 of 9 starters back counting Willie Wright, 5 if theres a new qb which would be an upgrade. The OL brings back 2, including a first team all conference player and gets bigger bc even though Fernandez was solid he was undersized. The receivers we have Nero Nelson and a couple other transfers and maybe Deandre McNeal works his way back into the rotation. The defense only loses Taleni. And it's of note that we haven't trailed in 6 games straight and 7 at home. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

As far as next year, it's not completely insane anymore to think we can win 13-14 games next season. Between the hash marks we have 6 of 9 starters back counting Willie Wright, 5 if theres a new qb which would be an upgrade. The OL brings back 2, including a first team all conference player and gets bigger bc even though Fernandez was solid he was undersized. The receivers we have Nero Nelson and a couple other transfers and maybe Deandre McNeal works his way back into the rotation. The defense only loses Taleni. And it's of note that we haven't trailed in 6 games straight and 7 at home. 
Posted On: Dec 23rd 2017, 12:54 PM #375865

As good as the O was, the D (even without turnovers late) got much better at stops and less yard and less points allowed late in the year!
Back to the top

An ESPN story on next year's playoff new contenders;

Ohio State Buckeyes Auburn Tigers ready to crash College Football Playoff

W are in story (sort of) in Group of 5 section at bottom (where else for Group of 5!!!). But nice to be mentioned still!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: