Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU vs. FIU - December 30th, 2017

Add topic

Owls open CUSA slate at rival FIU

What: FAU (6-6) vs. Florida International (6-7)

When: Saturday, December 30th, @ 7:00

Where: Ocean Bank Convocation Center

Series: The Panthers own a 22-17 historical advantage over the Owls, despite FAU sweeping their South Florida rivals last season.

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

FIU Team Site: Here

FIU at a Glance:

Offense - 73.5 PPG, 45% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 71.2 PPGA, 43% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 35.1 PG Panthers, 40.0 PG Opponents

Notables

FIU enter the conference slate with a 3-3 record in the month of December. Just like FAU's month, the Panthers have had moments of promise followed by disappointing losses. FIU has a pair of victories against in-state rivals USF and FGCU. But, the Panthers followed up the win in Ft. Myers with a loss the the Hartford Hawks of the American East Conference, who won only 9 games last year in the one-bid league. 

The Panthers are lead by SG Trejon Jacob, a sophomore from Raleigh, NC. Jacob averages 16.5 PPG, making him the seventh best shooter in CUSA. Eric Lockett leads the team in rebounds with 6.4 RPG. He is listed as a guard on FIU's webs tire, but he plays more like a SF in FIU's smaller sized lineup. The player that has been the most dangerous recently is guard Brian Beard Jr., who has emerged with 19 PPG in his last five outings. That includes a 28 point performance against USF in Tampa, where he shot 66% from the field, and forced multiple free-throw opportunities. 

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 74.8 PPG, 44% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 70.4 PPGA, 44% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.6 Owls, 36.7 Opponents

Notables

Right when the Owls look to have turned the corner towards a promising season, they take three large steps backwards. FAU scored 90+ in four straight games for the first time in program history, including a stellar come-from-behind victory over FGCU in Ft. Myers. But that was followed up with a disappointing loss at the buzzer to Arkansas State, and blow outs to Texas Tech and Minnesota on the road, where the Owls gave up 90+ a piece.

This season has shown that FAU heavily relies on three talents players for their points, C Ronald Delph, G Gerdarius Troutman, and G Justin Massey. If just one of these players has an off night, especially Delph, then the Owls chances of victory is greatly diminished. Delph leads the team in PPG and RPG with 13.8 and 9.1 respectively. Troutman and Massey are not far behind in PPG with 13.7 and 13.5 a piece. Anthony Adger has been a pleasant surprise at the PG position, with 34 assists so far on the young season. 

Latest Line

FIU -1

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Updated the preview to show that FIU is favored by one. YIKES. This game will tell the tale of how FAU will finish this season. A loss all but secures a less than .333 finish in conference play.

Back to the top

Speaking of possible losing seasons: when is Curry's contract up? After this season?
Back to the top

Well, we signed Curry to a six year contract in the Spring of 2014. His base salary of $325,000 sees an annual 2.5% increase.

That means he's now in his fourth year of the contract making $349,375, while his team is currently 6-6, never making it as far as the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.

Take that as you will.

(I used our good friend Dieter Kurtenbach's article at the Sun Sentinel as a source. You can find that article here)

Back to the top

Owls are going with the same lineup where they won four straight, and then dropped three straight thereafter.

Back to the top

We're underway at FIU. The Panthers win the tipoff, and will control the opening position.

GO OWLS!

Back to the top

Owls are struggling early in Miami, with Ingram and Delph being the only Owls to covert thus far.

Back to the top

FAU has finally settled down. It is clear that we will try to attack the pain tonight, as we've only attempted one three-pointer near the midway point of the first half. Most shots have been taken within the paint, with the Owls avoiding midrange jumpers as well.

Back to the top

7:43 left in the first half, and the score is now 17-12 in favor of the Panthers.

Yes, in a span on four minutes, the teams have scored a combined three points.

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!  :Laughing:  :Laughing:

Back to the top

We now have 3:26 remaining in the first half in this absolute snoozer.

FIU leads the Owls 24-16.

Back to the top
Control functions: