Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU OC Briles to Houston

illinoisowl said

This could cause Kiffin much frustration. He brings in great coaches but can’t hang on to them because FAU can’t compete financially. 
Posted On: Jan 6th 2018, 6:05 PM #376163

It's the same problem FAU will have when we lose Kiff to some Big 12 or Pac 12 school.
Back to the top

Also, while we don't want it, Kiffin is a great playcaller himself, so he can probably easily translate Brile's twist on his philosophy and call the plays himself if we can't find a good OC to replace Briles.

Sucks, but I'd much rather have this problem than be talking about what it will take to fire Charlie Partridge.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

d-owl said

Owl2Doc said

FAU was paying Briles $350K. Rumor was he didn't think he was getting paid enough. According to FootballScoop he's going to get $400K at Houston.

He jumped ship for 50K? Really?

He must really like Texas more than Boca. I thought he would hold out for a lot more than that.
Posted On: Jan 6th 2018, 4:09 PM #376160

That's disappointing, if true. I guess his heart is in Texas.
Posted On: Jan 6th 2018, 4:41 PM #376161

He went to Houston.
Posted On: Jan 6th 2018, 5:17 PM #376162

Exactly.
Back to the top

Nick Saban has to get a new coordinator almost every year. Why? Because they are good.  It's a great problem to have schools wanting our coaches.  Alabama has all the money in the world and they lose their coaches, so good for us. Let's reload and do it again.  Let the great up-and-coming coaches know this is the place they want to coach.
Back to the top

There is flack BUILDING in Houston regarding the Briles hire - it may not fly after all. Even though it is HIS alma mater, it also MAY BE TOO CLOSE TO BAYLOR FOR FEELINGS IN TEXAS TO FORGET THE ENTIRE BAD SITUATION THERE!

WE shall see if the anti Briles hire movement gains traction. And if it does, what does Houston do, pull a Tenn. and rescind the offer or stick it out. And IF they rescind, does Coach B came back here, if welcomed back here by Coach K.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

There is flack BUILDING in Houston regarding the Briles hire - it may not fly after all. Even though it is HIS alma mater, it also MAY BE TOO CLOSE TO BAYLOR FOR FEELINGS IN TEXAS TO FORGET THE ENTIRE BAD SITUATION THERE!

WE shall see if the anti Briles hire movement gains traction. And if it does, what does Houston do, pull a Tenn. and rescind the offer or stick it out. And IF they rescind, does Coach B came back here, if welcomed back here by Coach K.
Posted On: Jan 7th 2018, 1:47 PM #376172
Doubt it – there is some flack, but the fans are generally happy with the hire (as they should be), the university has vetted him thoroughly, his year here without incident helps, and there is a clause in his contract to deal with anything discovered subsequent to the hire that would change the university's stance. His jumping to his alma mater as soon as he was able to makes me think his heart was not set on staying here for more than a year (to "rehabilitate" his image). Time to move on and bring someone else in here imo.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Nick Saban has to get a new coordinator almost every year. Why? Because they are good.  It's a great problem to have schools wanting our coaches.  Alabama has all the money in the world and they lose their coaches, so good for us. Let's reload and do it again.  Let the great up-and-coming coaches know this is the place they want to coach.
Posted On: Jan 6th 2018, 9:25 PM #376169

Yeah each of the last three seasons, Bama has had a coordinator leaving. This year it's Jeremy Pruitt to Tennessee, last year was Kiffin to FAU, the year before was Kirby Smart to UGA. Bama had Kiffin for three years, which was a relatively long time compared to how his coordinators have been leaving lately.

There a lot of young position coaches who can install a similar offense. In fact, I might even look to promote from within if I had to - Clint Trickett is a pretty talented coach himself, and is already familiar with the offense.
Back to the top

fauowl said

The difference here is coordinators leaving Alabama become head coaches and position coaches leaving Alabama become coordinators. 
This is a lateral movemet for Briles for more money and no beach. That has to be frustrating for Kiffin. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

fauowl said

The difference here is coordinators leaving Alabama become head coaches and position coaches leaving Alabama become coordinators.
This is a lateral movemet for Briles for more money and no beach. That has to be frustrating for Kiffin.
Posted On: Jan 7th 2018, 6:28 PM #376176
Agreed. However, him wanting the one year contract, Kiffin had to know he would most likely leave if someone came calling. It was a mutual thing with Briles – he used us to get his one year "image rehabilitation" out the way, and we got him to help lead us to one of the most dynamic offenses in the country. Last year at this time, if you told me FAU would have done what they did this year, we would only have Briles for a year BUT we keep Kiffin around for yearr number 2 – I would gladly take it. Disappointed, but certainly not destroyed by this. We will be just fine next year.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

fauowl said

Posted On: Jan 7th 2018, 6:28 PM #376176

Some more $$$ and going home, so not too bad for him, I guess!
Back to the top
Control functions: