Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU OC Briles to Houston

I think we take a look at Matt Maddox... a co offensive coordinator at USF.....recruits Florida.....and is from the Art Briles coaching tree.....it lets Kiffin control the play calling without actually calling all the plays.....just a name that could pop up

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

This is a lateral movemet for Briles for more money and no beach. That has to be frustrating for Kiffin. 
Posted On: Jan 7th 2018, 6:28 PM #376176

Houston is Kendal's Alma mater. Houston is Kendal's wife's Alma mater.  It would be more absurd if he didn't take this opportunity in my mind. If anyone can relate to leaving somewhere he enjoyed and taking your dream job, it is Lane Kiffin.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

There is flack BUILDING in Houston regarding the Briles hire - it may not fly after all. Even though it is HIS alma mater, it also MAY BE TOO CLOSE TO BAYLOR FOR FEELINGS IN TEXAS TO FORGET THE ENTIRE BAD SITUATION THERE!

WE shall see if the anti Briles hire movement gains traction. And if it does, what does Houston do, pull a Tenn. and rescind the offer or stick it out. And IF they rescind, does Coach B came back here, if welcomed back here by Coach K.
Posted On: Jan 7th 2018, 1:47 PM #376172
There was flack when he hired him as well.

We never come back here he has wanted to leave for a while. This is not his state and we do not pay him close enough.

Also again no point to bring him back the if he just wants to leave. HE WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN A HEAD COACH HERE!!!! He's not close to being ready to be a coach (just because you run a good offense doesn't make you a head coach) again this is not his state and would have a ton of trouble finding a staff and recruiting.

Leaving is best for both sides at this point.
Back to the top

Would have liked to keep the band together for one more tour, but hey, if it ain't meant to be then it ain't meant to be…time to move on.

Back to the top

Since he wanted a 1-year contract, I'm sure Kiffin has other guys on his radar, and will probably surprise us with a good hire, just like he surprised us with Briles, Wilson Love, etc. I'd look for a position coach on a big program to be the OC, maybe even somebody at Bama, since I think Kiff would love to poach from Saban's staff just to aggravate him, as long as it's a good hire for us.
Back to the top

I think since Briles was here and there was no heat on his reputation. I don't recall ever hearing his name in any of the interviews with Kiffin.  He is no doubt an excellent play caller, but he will not be a head coach for some time and if that's his goal staying with us would've been his best chance.  I think a combination of things lead to him leaving.  No pay increase, he transcended our offense overnight.  In one game 800 yards of offense in the Partridge era that would've taken 9 games to amass.  Not enough credit, like I said his name wasn't brought up on gameday or in the newspaper articles..Kiffin is getting all the credit that may not bode well with some.  The last is going home, I don't know how home sick he was but from what I understand he loved it here. I think pay is the most important thing.  I am sure Kiffin has pull and will find a fit, just as long as Kiffin isn't calling the plays.  He wasn't the best at that and coaching at USC.i
Back to the top

I have a feeling that Kiffin had more to do with play calling than we believe. I think those first 4 games, Kiffin let Briles do his thing, just as he said he would before the year. But then our playcalling changed, tempo slowed slightly, it was methodical, and the percentages of run and pass changed dramatically.  To me, it was noticeable that Kiffin was the ultimate authority on the offense, and then as he coached briles up, he gave the reins back to him. We will hopefully use the same system next year, and I would like to see us take a good O line coach from a P-5 school to be the coordinator and o line coach, and Kiffin be the QB coach, as he did with Jalen Hurts and others… we need a very good O line coach to fill the hole left by Justice leaving. 
Back to the top

I would love to see us take Brent Key from Bama, as he has history in Florida at UCF and has a ridiculous O line at the 2 schools he has been with. His salary at Bama is the same as we paid Briles.

The tough sell would be that he was born in Birmingham, AL, so he may have allegiance to Bama for that reason.
Back to the top

I also wouldn't put it past him to look at James Coley with UGA. He's been a coordinator at FIU then FSU, currently a wide receivers coach, knows South Florida, has NFL coaching experience under Saban, and is currently coaching in a national championship game, with a pretty dynamic passing game. He's a guy that could make a lot of sense, potentially. Played HS ball in Miami, so he'd essentially be coming home.
Back to the top

What has happened with the Coach K contract extension???? WE SHOULD HAVE OFFERED ENTIRE STAFF NEW CONTRACTS WITH MORE $$$!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: