Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2017 Game day survey

owlsdad said

I would agree with Local Owl that the biggest problem I saw was around the amount of people at the bar that probably should not have been on the deck in the first place.  Over half the stadium is empty but you can't hardly move around the bar.  And shoot me for sterrotyping, but about 1/2 the people I see in there don't look like they shelled out $300 or more for season tickets and the right to be in that area.

As for some of the other stuff, have you guys been to other sporting events or other places where security and metal detectors are used for entering?  Getting into FAU stadium doesn't seem much different to me.  I could see complaining and asking for a season ticket holder or donor-only gate, but otherwise we try to be in our seats well before kickoff and we generally don't have much issue getting in.

And if you think it is bad now, just wait and see what it is like if we keep winning. We should be hoping for the day that every hom
e game looks like the Navy game.
Posted On: Jan 11th 2018, 9:35 AM #376267

OK the issue is not the people sneak in to the Deck.

Most new season ticket holders will be 20's something and this person who shelled out 300 will continue to grow.

To get to you needed to have your ticket check at the stairs then be have your ticket checked again to get a wristband. I doubt enough people got by to make any real difference in beer lines. Anymore checks people will start to complain it already take longer than it already does to get in.

Like I said you would not have people hanging out by the bar if it only took a few min to get a beer.
Many people do hang out at the tables which is fine and not in the way of anything.

The issue I do see is when the 1000 dollar donation that get you into the Acura club.

I know people do it, but being able to put buy cheap season tickets (50 bucks for the season) then having 4 friends split the 1000 dollar donation put it under one person's name along and that person can bring as many people up he/she wants.  With that those people wend up paying 300 each and getting accesses to the club.

They need to donate more for more guests.

With a thousand dollars you can bring 1 guest and maybe something along the lines of for every 250 you donate you can add another guest.
Back to the top

Part of the problem absolutely is people sneaking into the deck.  There is no question about that whatsoever.  That does not excuse the staffing and service at the bar.  The crowds have been pretty consistent on the deck regardless of the game (except for one or two) so it should be staffed and managed accordingly whether they sneak in or not.  It needs to stop this year.

As far as the tower is concerned you can't bring as many as you want, the amount of people you are allowed is tied to your donation level and the have a list of names and your name is listed as many times as the number of people that are allowed up with you.  

I can't believe we are discussing the same issues year after year after year.  Does anyone actually read and execute on the survey?  It sure doesn't seem like since it the same BS every year.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Owlguin said

I missed the email too, thanks.  In general, I've had a great time this year and plan to renew my season tickets next year, unless for some reason the game times change drastically back to noon.  Certainly the band needs a lot of work (they probably lack funding, they certainly try).  Seeing the FIU, UNT and definitely the Akron bands there in comparison was embarrassing.  Akron's band was actually pretty entertaining.
Posted On: Jan 11th 2018, 1:37 PM #376270
I like our band, we try very hard, but the numbers just plain BLOW! My daughter was in a very good HS band in Georgia that had just under 200 members. They competed with HUGE (250+ members) HS bands from Ohio and Indiana. They take HS Marching band VERY seriously up there! :cool:Not surprised AT ALL that Akron has a large band. What REALLY disappoints me i the fact that FIU DROPPED THEIR band and now it is back a bigger and better that ours! WHY CAN WE NOT GROW OUR BAND??????? Dr. Kelly, PLEASE GET INVOLVED IN THIS ISSUE AND GROW THE BAND ALONG WITH THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM!!!

These are Clemson marching band pics;

clemson marching band - Yahoo Image Search Results

Akron Zips Marching band page;

The University of Akron Bands : The University of Akron

Good video promoting the band too!!!!
Back to the top

I would be surprised if Dr. Kelly DIDN'T step in regarding the band. This year was the smallest I've seen us since maybe 2005 or 2006.

Owlsdad brought up a good point about rising attendance if we keep winning. Our stadium and stadium staff just aren't fit to manage a large number of people. I walked around with my friend who had never been to a game during the C-USA championship game and the visitor section was so uncomfortable. That side of the stadium is so cramped and the lines for food stretch nearly to the bathrooms. And the stadium wasn't even half full that day. They also didn't have all the food windows open so that could be a problem but there's still such limited space for people to walk in that area and it's extremely uncomfortable.
Back to the top

@OC40…I don't want any, zero, no people sneaking in where I am paying to be. And I agree with Owldad's post. We have problems and we are only drawing 12-14000 per game. For god's sake, it's not that darn hard. And yes OC, "old guys" like myself and Owldad, who have kids your age, we are lazy and bring cash to the games so people can bring us beer. Try it. I know cash is a strange concept for the 20+ crowd. And like Dusky said, these are the same issues as last year. FAU needs to grow up soon.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@OC40…I don't want any, zero, no people sneaking in where I am paying to be. And I agree with Owldad's post. We have problems and we are only drawing 12-14000 per game. For god's sake, it's not that darn hard. And yes OC, "old guys" like myself and Owldad, who have kids your age, we are lazy and bring cash to the games so people can bring us beer. Try it. I know cash is a strange concept for the 20+ crowd. And like Dusky said, these are the same issues as last year. FAU needs to grow up soon.
Posted On: Jan 11th 2018, 4:18 PM #376276

I intentionally stop and get cash for game days so I don't have to deal card machines, makes the day much simpler and I can guarantee you I am one of many regardless of what the self absorbed millennials think.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Local Owl said

Posted On: Jan 11th 2018, 4:18 PM #376276

I intentionally stop and get cash for game days so I don't have to deal card machines, makes the day much simpler and I can guarantee you I am one of many regardless of what the self absorbed millennials think.
Posted On: Jan 11th 2018, 4:26 PM #376277

I stop and get cash before games too (I don’t like carrying cash) and I am self absorbing millennial. but that’s a huge inconvenience, and something you shouldn’t have to do.
Back to the top

In my last post i wrote "20+" because i couldn't figure out how to spell millennial. Yep, I'm a FAU grad . I agree  that cash is not as convenient. But other times it make life more simple. Here is another tip for getting quick beer. TIP one vendor heavy. For some reason they keep checking to make sure you are OK.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

In my last post i wrote "20+" because i couldn't figure out how to spell millennial. Yep, I'm a FAU grad . I agree  that cash is not as convenient. But other times it make life more simple. Here is another tip for getting quick beer. TIP one vendor heavy. For some reason they keep checking to make sure you are OK.
Posted On: Jan 11th 2018, 5:07 PM #376280

That’s all fine, but I prefer to drink a couple scotch and gingers a game.  Beer guys are not making those. The issues at the main bar are just poor tending and poor systems to support them. 
Also I know when corporations do surveys with customers th average is that somthing like 12 percent respond. 
So you guys say that if we have had these issues for years it could because enough word is not getting back to them.
Back to the top

If people are sneaking in then FAU need to not have CHS or whatever it’s called monitor that.

Also don’t give out the same write band every game.
What you could do I have people get one hard plastic ticket for the season and have your name on it. That way people do not pass back and check ID, but that will take a bit. 
Back to the top
Control functions: