Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin Taps Charlie Weis Jr as FAU Football's New OC

Kiffin Taps Charlie Weis Jr as FAU Football's New OC

Reports out there now that we have hired Charlie Weis Jr., who was briefly on the coaching staff last year before joining the Falcons, as new OC.  This will make him the youngest OC in college football at 24.  He's young but obviously comes from a football background, and has spent the last few seasons learning from Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian, 2 of the best offensive minds in the game.  It's an outside the box hire for sure, but you have to trust Lane, especially when it comes of offense.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Reports out there now that we have hired Charlie Weis Jr., who was briefly on the coaching staff last year before joining the Falcons, as new OC.  This will make him the youngest OC in college football at 24.  He's young but obviously comes from a football background, and has spent the last few seasons learning from Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian, 2 of the best offensive minds in the game.  It's an outside the box hire for sure, but you have to trust Lane, especially when it comes of offense.  
Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 9:12 AM #376399

I support this hire. It makes sense. Spent time at Bama for two years as an analyst after being on the staff at Notre Dame, then gets hired by Sark at the Falcons. That's a LOT of experience for a 24-year old. Sort of similar to Kiffins past.
Back to the top

The best news in all of this is that we hired somebody.  The worst thing would have been letting this just linger.  Now lets fill the other positions, finish strong with recruiting, and have a good Spring.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

The best news in all of this is that we hired somebody.  The worst thing would have been letting this just linger.  Now lets fill the other positions, finish strong with recruiting, and have a good Spring.
Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 10:15 AM #376407

Agreed and Lane had LOTS of control/say about the O and players last year and will again!

Any word from Zona who Sumlin is gonna keep of the staff there? Justice does not offer any recruiting edge there being new and usually THAT is what keeps a coach from the previous staff onboard.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

owlsdad said

Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 10:15 AM #376407

Agreed and Lane had LOTS of control/say about the O and players last year and will again!

Any word from Zona who Sumlin is gonna keep of the staff there? Justice does not offer any recruiting edge there being new and usually THAT is what keeps a coach from the previous staff onboard.
Posted On: Jan 17th 2018, 10:25 AM #376408

You'd have to feel bad for Justice if it doesn't work out for him in AZ. He received a substantial pay increase and was in the process of settling in out there.
Back to the top

Not entirely sure what I think about the OC move yet, but he has clearly been on the right career trajectory to get an OC position eventually. Just not sure if this is too early for that kind of responsibility. He does have the coaching pedigree though, and I trust LK.
Back to the top

I trust Lane he has earned his respect in my opinion with how much success he has had I am sure he could have pulled someone else if he wanted to but he knows this is the right decision.  I think this is very good for our program because now that he is an OC at his age I am sure that he will need a few years to prove himself and that he cannot just jump ship like he did beforehand because his next move would be a job at a bigger school and 24 y old would be a bit young for other bigger schools.

go owls!
Back to the top

I was impressed by his football IQ when I met him at the signing day dinner, I imagine there were many nights breaking down Pats film with his dad in the basement when he was a kid. He also just spent a year coaching grown men in the NFL, so I'm not too worried about his age and college kids.

It'll be a nice learning experience for him, since Lane is already a great offensive mind, and there shouldn't be too much ego either, so if Kiff wants to make a few play calls (or all of them) he'll accept it.
Back to the top

I feel terrible for Garin, but this would be a great outcome for FAU.
Back to the top

his reason for leaving was to go work for his college coach, so hopefully it wasn't a dis at Kiffin.

Having that guy back would be awesome.
Back to the top
Control functions: